cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Placing tarp under TT for moisture issues?

lee1
Explorer
Explorer
I am storing our TT inside a barn this winter, thinking about placing a tarp or some kind of cover to help with moisture issues.? Any thoughts appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9

wrvond
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I prefer to keep everything closed up in order to keep bugs and dirt out. However, I run a small electric heater and set out tubs of desiccant.
I'll also admit that I miss my camper during the winter and will often go out and sit in it and read a book or some such. I find just sitting inside to be very calming for some reason...
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2017 F350 Lariat 6.7L DRW

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
I leave my vents open year round when not camping...
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
IN MOST circumstances, you will have less moisture inside the RV if it is allowed to acclimate itself with the surrounding moisture level. Open windows or vents to allow it to balance with ambient humidity.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

lee1
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for your replys, and yes I was thinking about a tarp under trailer. I was putting an adco cover on (also because of possible bird poop). Should I also leave a few windows cracked open? does have screens other side.

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Airflow is most important. If the barn is fairly air tight I would consider a tarp or ground sheet. If it's open to good air flow then the ground cover is less important.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I'm involved in a PUD funded insulation program for mobile homes and studies show that installing a moisture barrier on the ground under the MH to be beneficial. I think it would be a good idea for your application too.

FWIW I put a plastic tarp over my TT and then put an ADCO cover on top of that. I found that installing the plastic tarp resulted in far less water in the traps. I don't believe that the tarp holds moisture in at all.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is nothing that it would hurt. It will keep moisture from the area under the trailer from coming up and may help keep the frame from rusting..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
x2 - I wouldn't put a tarp over it at all. Nor would I put it under the trailer, if that is what you are thinking.

Irregardless, I would put plastic leveling blocks under the tires to get it up off the dirt...
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
Title says Tarp under trailer.
Might help, with dust, etc... Does rain run into barn?

If covering:
Be careful, stories of covering a trailer, actually can cause higher moisture trapped in trailer, resulting in mold.

If it is in BARN, I assume roof above, general water being kept off, I would keep roof vents open to help with well ventilated atmosphere, not tarped, and check on it through the storage time.

Key is to keep humidity down.

Markiemark:C
Banned member for posting Customer satisfaction maybe catching up : http://rvmiles.com/camping-world-investors-file-class-action-after-stocks-fall-60/
OK to ban per Mark F.