cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Don't Do This

PapaJim
Explorer
Explorer
I recently had to go to the bathroom while towing. It was a Sunday, and I pulled in to a closed bank parking lot. I had to go bad, so as I went through the ATM lane, ignoring the warning sign, I heard a scraping sound. Long story short, I took off the air conditioner. As this is about our tenth year with the travel trailer, you'd think I would be smarter. Our supplier, Custom Camper in Southington, CT, expedited the fix, as did our Insurance co., Geico. We'll be back on the road tomorrow, and hopefully free of any negative experiences.
15 REPLIES 15

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Word of advice to everyone that hasn't done this. Measure your height now! You can do this any number of ways, I climb on the roof with a 2x4, a rope, and a 4' level. Use the level and board on the highest point and dangle the rope to the ground.

Now get a label maker and make a label indicating the height and stick it on your dash where you can see it while driving.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing your experience...it might help others who will do something like this in the future. We all learn from the things we do, sharing with others help to prevent them from doing it also.
Mark

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
PapaJim wrote:
ignoring the warning sign,
:S

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
Didn't your momma tell ya to go before ya left home ?

I grew up way out in the boonies, long drive to anywhere. Now I live in town but I have a very hard time even bopping down to the grocery store without peeing first. It is so engrained in me!

This is starting to change, though, because of traveling with the van. Sometimes it is easier to use the store bathroom than the van one, and I plan my errands accordingly 🙂
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
When ya gotta go you gotta go
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2020 Open Range Light 312BH

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Didn't your momma tell ya to go before ya left home ?

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
yep,
was hot here yesterday, just finished installing JT Strongs
tighten them down. wife said it was great, so began to lower them before unscrewing. scraped them up.
pulled into A&W with kayaks on truck. someone hollered and we stopped.

now we have a 5th wheel, just told wife we really need to more conscious now.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jebby, you made me laugh out loud. Well done!

And just to reassure the OP, I did the same thing with bikes on top of my car, many years ago, at the end of a long day of driving. Ouch. Very expensive, in the days when I could not afford expense.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, as soon as I saw your post I thought of the video above. That video is an absolutely classic! I cringe ever time I see it.

Glad you're back on the road! And wonder how it will work out the bank drive through and any damage?

Last March in South Carolina, I caught the slight glimpse of a low clearance sign on the side of the road, for an overpass about 10 miles further. We stopped, I went back into the camper and check the manuals for the height of my camper, and sure enough, there was no way I'd make it through. We were now pretty close to our campground, but had to figure out a way around.

Couple days later, I persuaded the wife to go for a road trip, and we found that low clearance. I'm glad we turned around when we did. This could have been an embarrassment moment too!

10 feet - 6 inches (my camper is over 11 feet)

PapaJim
Explorer
Explorer
Omigosh!

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
And they'll cover damage to the ATM roof?

Bank was closed...nobody knows......YET?????
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
And they'll cover damage to the ATM roof?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Learning the hard way is ever lasting!! Glad to hear that you got it fixed quickly, and all is well. 🙂

Jerry