cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Please help! Is this buyer of my trailer trying to scam me?

OregonMan
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys, so I got very excited because I thought I finally found a buyer for my trailer. He refers to himself as "Mr. Frost" and is older. They sent me a cashier's check for my trailer, which pays the full amount + shipping. However, the cashier's check looks to be from a different funding source other than Mr. Frost.

He says that he already has a shipping company to use called "Shippers Incorporated" and that the extra cash from the cashier's check will be used to pay the shipping company when they arrive because "they're an old company and only accept cash."

As much as I want to deposit this check, the scam hairs on my neck keep standing up. I've read of similar scams online where a buyer of something expensive e-mails you, is on the other side of the country (Mr. Frost is in Ohio) and they use their own shipping company.

The part that makes me think it might be legit is that we already have a cashier's check. If we deposit a cashier's check could they do a stop payment on it?

I'm really concerned about this guys. I haven't deposited the check, signed any paperwork or given the location of the trailer. So many parts of this deal match other scams... but we already have the cashier's check which is the one part that's different. Any thoughts please? Thank you!
100 REPLIES 100

Beowolf
Explorer
Explorer
OregonMan wrote:
Well avoided the scam, but my trailer is a brand new 2018 Wolf Pup 16 BHS with dry tanks never once used rearview camera/towing equip/extras included. Been having a heck of a time finding a serious buyer in Oregon.. but if you guys might know an area/individual that could work to sell a new Wolf Pup trailer... unfortunately the cash is needed more than the trailer at this juncture. If we can't sell it, it won't be the end of the world, but it would really help. Thanks for any tips.. feeling pretty low on my luck after the scam attempt.

How much are you asking?

Clockman
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings....This is MR. Freeze../// Mr Frost is my Uncle and is scammer... I will buy your trailer from you// Just send me your Signed Pink Slip, and my Shipping team will show up with a money order made out to your name...We will then hook up the trailer to our Shippers truck and then drive to your bank so that you can verify the funds.... //// We will wait for you outside while you do that....////

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
OregonMan wrote:
Thanks for any tips..

Lower your price. If it hasn't sold, you are asking too much. Remember that just cause its "new", its still a used trailer and has depreciated since you bought it. My buddy bought a used camper for his first trailer. It was a year old and had never been used. Mattress was still in plastic, sewer hose in box, tags on the AC unit, weight distribution hitch had never even been installed. He bought it for 66% of the price that the original owner paid. Though it was brand new... it was still a used trailer.

Good luck.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

OregonMan
Explorer
Explorer
Well avoided the scam, but my trailer is a brand new 2018 Wolf Pup 16 BHS with dry tanks never once used rearview camera/towing equip/extras included. Been having a heck of a time finding a serious buyer in Oregon.. but if you guys might know an area/individual that could work to sell a new Wolf Pup trailer... unfortunately the cash is needed more than the trailer at this juncture. If we can't sell it, it won't be the end of the world, but it would really help. Thanks for any tips.. feeling pretty low on my luck after the scam attempt.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
That particular scam has been around for quite a while, especially on Craigslist. Just ask my DW who is an accountant and certified fraud investigator.

We had someone try that scam on us last year for a $100 item we had on CL. Buyer was allegedly in another province and didn't make sense why he wanted our item from so far away. Buyer said he really wanted the item and had been looking for some time. DW asked a few pertinent questions and never heard back.

the_fixer1
Explorer
Explorer
very common scam stay away.

CDINTN
Explorer
Explorer
Run as fast as you can from these deals! It IS a scam. Period

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
This is 100% a scam. I had a friend that fell for it and lost his $1000 "SHIPPING" money.
The check will be out of a real bank and account, so it will initially clear. A few day or a week later, after you send off the "SHIPPING" money, the bank will call and say yhe check was forged, stolen etc, and you will have to pay the bank back the full amount, and "Mr Frost" has your $7000 "shipping" money.

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
If you're still interested in selling the trailer, I have a friend that can stop by to give you a cashier's check (just kidding). Seriously, I had a camper I tried to sell for some time through Craigslist, with no luck. I stopped by my local dealer, who I bought the new camper from (he didn't want the popup in trade as he doesn't sell them). They told me to use a different city as they sell many campers on Craigslist and that is what they do. I advertised in the other Craigslist city and it sold at the same price in a week. Ask a few dealers what cities they use. I ended up using a city in another state, but the guy came and picked it up with cash in hand.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
OregonMan wrote:
Still holding out hope for that <0.0001% chance this is legit.

Thatโ€™s about 0.0001% too high of an estimate.

lostbytes
Explorer
Explorer
If it quack, walk, swim like duck. It is.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP:
No thugs will show up. โ€œMr. Frostโ€ is just some doodlehead sitting at a computer waiting for another mark to fall for his game.
Follow the otherโ€™s advice and drop the price. Or follow your own thought and find a way to keep it and enjoy it.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had an item on Craigslist and got asked if they could send me a "cashier's check with enough extra to pay the shippers." I said "no" and heard no more from them.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Mercy Sakes! YES...Scam. There is no light at the end of this tunnel. Forget it. I'm surprised at some of the advice given regarding deposit/verify, etc.

OregonMan wrote:

Still holding out hope for that <0.0001% chance this is legit. Sigh.. I know.

Thanks again guys.

Drop the price dramatically, on the trailer, sell it locally, person to person, cash. Lots of folks looking for good used trailers, Make someone a deal, help them get into the RV hobby more affordably, and move on. Unfortunately we often think our stuff is worth more than it is. (Tell us what kind of trailer it is, or link your ad, I'll bet some of us have read some post i.e. "looking for good used trailer").

Good Luck!
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, and we keep the plates. Our motor vehicles department requires we turn them in.

Sold our TT locally and they wanted to keep the plates until they register. We said no. We do not know these people.

They did not want to pay for a Temporary Tag until they could get vehicle inspection and registration. Not my problem.

So who knows WHEN they would have given our plates back. We took them off before they picked up the TT.

They could have waited 30 days to register, could have gone on several trips. Who knows.

We took the paperwork and plates to DMV and there they were, getting temporary tags. Which is what you should do, or get it inspected and register it.