Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

pop up electric converter

Saunts
Explorer
Explorer
I want to charge my pop up's battery when I plug my
generator in to the shore power cord. Is this possible ?
8 REPLIES 8

Saunts
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB,
I hear ya, good buddy. I should have provided more relevant info, as the pop up belongs to my daughter. I own a travel trailer.
Grandpa is just the "cheapest" repair service in town.....ha ha
Have a great day. Thanx everyone for their help !!

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is a good example why having lots of info available on what equipment is being discussed is most helpful. Just having your equipment listed in your profile would be is a big help. It is hard to offer good information not knowing what the systems are...

Most of us just pass along information based on what we deal with (Myself included). My information was based on my 2008 Model off-road camper and indeed it will charge my camper batteries automatically when plugged into shore power as well as generator using the proper RV30A-15A adapter.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Saunts
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Bryan.....good info

red31
Explorer
Explorer
^^^ X2, depends

If it doesn't have charging feature like many converters in older PU, then no.

Some of the early models that 'charged' ('97-0?) have crappy chargers that can over charge.

The WFCOs 8700 series in a lot of newer PU won't go into boost mode so they slow charge.

Based on one of your other posts, an '88, no it won't charge your battery via shore power/generator if it has the original converter.

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
Saunts wrote:
I want to charge my pop up's battery when I plug my generator in to the shore power cord. Is this possible ?

Depends on your converter.

Whacha got?
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
If your popup battery charges when it's plugged into ordinary shorepower (110/120v a/c), it'll charge off the generator's 110v plug-in, too.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming you have a 30AMP SHore Power Cable that looks like this...

Plug this 30A SHore Power COnnector into a RV30A-15A long "dogbone" type adapter (WALMART). The adapter will plug into one of the 120VAC 20A Receptacles on the generator front panel.

This is the RV30A-15A typical adapter to use.

I use the 2KW Honda Generator for powering up my off-road POPUP. You need to have a generator strong enough to power up the trailer converter/charger unit. You can find the power requirements by listing here or on GOOGLE.

Without knowing anything about your trailer I am also assuming you probably do not have a smart mode charging technology converter/charger unit. With a smart mode charger you can re-charge your deep cycle in a short three hour time generator run time so you can immediately use the battery again. With a single mode type converter/charger on board will take a min of 12-13 hours to re-charge your deep cycle battery to its 90% charge state so you can use it again. If this is the case you may want to bring along a smart mode battery charger like the Black and Decker VEC1093DBD smart mode portable battery charger and plug this into the generator to re-charge your deep cycle battery in the short three hour time frame.

12-13 hours is a long time to have to run your generator and most camp grounds will not allow you to do this. Most camp grounds only allow just a couple of hours in the morning and maybe three hours in the early evening to run your generator at the camp sites.

Roy Ken...
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

popupcamping
Explorer
Explorer
it should automatically