cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pop-up is Gone, now waiting on our new TT!

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
After trying to move back to a pop up last year, we decided that it was just a little more work than we wanted to do anymore. That and we found what we hope is going to be a great little TT in a Grey Wolf 26BH that we saw at this year's RV show in St. Louis. They had what we thought was a great price on this unit with lots of options so we went ahead and ordered one. They said it'd be about 6-8 weeks so I'm guessing end of March or sometime in April, but we don't have a trip planned until Memorial Day. That's not to say that we wouldn't take it out earlier once it comes in! I'm just looking forward to getting it so we can load our stuff into it and deciding what mods I'm going to want to make!

This will be our third TT and 5th camper overall as we started with a Coleman Cheyenne pop up back in 1999.
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT
10 REPLIES 10

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
I think your new trailer size is going to be just about the right size - maybe just a tad too large. I almost went to that size with the JAYCO X213 trailer a few years back.

Roy Ken

X213 is 23' long, 26BH is 29' long. Just a bit of difference. 🙂
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
AirForceAngler wrote:
dspencer wrote:
I just wish the weather would break so i can take my new 26BH out. It's been setting in the driveway for 3 weeks. We do have it all packed and personalized just waiting for the weather to give us a break. You will love it Air Force Angler.

I figured you probably had yours by now! Glad you're happy with it so far. Do you know what size tires are on it? If they're not 15's that is something I may change to in the future if there's room. Maybe even order some nice alloy rims sometime after the original tires wear out.

Mine are 205 14" 's, my problem is the brand, there a trail express. I hope to get a season out of them and replace them next year.

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
dspencer wrote:
I just wish the weather would break so i can take my new 26BH out. It's been setting in the driveway for 3 weeks. We do have it all packed and personalized just waiting for the weather to give us a break. You will love it Air Force Angler.

I figured you probably had yours by now! Glad you're happy with it so far. Do you know what size tires are on it? If they're not 15's that is something I may change to in the future if there's room. Maybe even order some nice alloy rims sometime after the original tires wear out.

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a smaller, relatively inexpensive TT, with some special features, and an attractive exterior... Sounds like a great value to me.

Definitely post some pictures when it comes in. I'm betting it'll be a head turner when you're at the campground. Like I said previously, I always love the look of them, the limited package just steps up the cool even more.
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Katy"
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2011 French Bulldog Shelter adopted edition, "Roscoe"
1982 DW, "Rachel"
2016 DD "Harper", the newest lil camper.

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I agree it would be kinda nice to keep the pop up for traveling a little further since it tows a lot easier, but we really got spoiled with the ease of a TT. Much easier to load prior to a trip, easier to set up and don't have to worry about setting it up again if it's wet when you take down. This will actually be one of the smaller TTs we've had. Our first was a 2003 Coachmen 27BH, then we had a 2008 Jayco 24RKS that had a small slide but no bunks. Our daughter is getting older and didn't want to sleep on the couch anymore so we went with the 26BH. I didn't want another slide this time because I didn't want the potential for leaks or mechanical issues or the extra weight.

The 26BH we're getting has just about every option you could get on one including the Cherokee Limited Package and we got it at the show price of $13,995. It just seemed too good of a deal to turn down. It doesn't have quite the interior quality as our Jayco had, but will suffice. One of the first things I'm going to do when it gets home is do the pressure check like Westend did with one of his rebuilds so I can find small leaks before they become big issues.

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new trailer.

Unfortunately the only contact I've ever had with a Grey Wolf trailer were these videos:

Ultimate Leaky Trailer

and

Ultimate Leaky Trailer Part II

I hope they've leaned the lessons from building this kind of trailer and that you enjoy your new purchase. That's one big trailer that you have!!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
A local dealer near me always has Grey Wolf's in stock... they're a sharp unit. I always like the graphics on them, and they usually have a few cool options that set them apart. I normally like fiberglass sided units, but it's amazing how nice the aluminum sided ones are these days, some of the nicest looking units aren't fiberglass.

The local dealer has a 26bh in stock... price on it is $16,995.

Sounds like you'll have the camper just in time for camping season!
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Katy"
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2011 French Bulldog Shelter adopted edition, "Roscoe"
1982 DW, "Rachel"
2016 DD "Harper", the newest lil camper.

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations, I'm sure the wait is tough.

I have also had about everything except a motor home - pop ups, truck campers and TT's. The TT we have now is the biggest we've ever had.

I loved the pop ups for the space inside but it was a PITA to load them and unload them, deal with the small reefers and the lack of holding tanks. If I had all the money in the world (and more driveway space) I'd still have one in addition to the TT. I don't think there is any other camping option that gives you as much space and also allows you to open up the entire rig to the outside.

Have fun with the new TT.
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think your new trailer size is going to be just about the right size - maybe just a tad too large. I almost went to that size with the JAYCO X213 trailer a few years back.

Still running the roads and trails with my OFF-ROAD POPUP.

We like to hit the camping off the power grid for most of our camping and do see TTs there as well around your trailer size. having hard walls does have it advantages I guess...

Wife woke me up on one camping trip saying there a bear outside. SO I get up and grab my handy flashlight and wasp spray can and did a walk aorund the trailer. Sure enough I hear the same noise the wife heard. I went to where the noise was coming from and it ended up being a neighbor POPUP camping snoring real loud in his tent bed...

For us however the trade off for hard walls just never out-weighed the great gas mileage we get with our POPUP setup. Hard to give up 20+ MPH we see on our 2010 F150 pulling our 2400lb OFF ROAD POPUP. We make the 459 mile trip from here in Northern Neck VA to Gatlinburg TN Smoky Mtns on one tank of gas. We can go anywhere our 4WD tuck will take which fits into our camping lifestyles from back in the 50s and 60s in our Arizona days...

Happy trails to you... Do some good mtn stream fishing for me as well...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS