cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

pop-up to alaska

sassymae
Explorer
Explorer
Going to alaska this summer, thinking about taking a pop-up camper, any advise. thanks
10 REPLIES 10

matt7591
Explorer
Explorer
resmas wrote:
I know multiple families that LIVE in a tent ALL SUMMER LONG until the campground closes, in salmon territory. Never an issue.

OK I'm moving there now.

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
It's all about site management and not the materials of hour walls that have more impact on bear attraction.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

Serenlyretired
Explorer
Explorer
Got to chuckle as I have seen SUV's doors ripped off by hungry bears in Yosemite, Kings Canyon & the Trinity Alps here in California. Hard shell campers are no safer than a pup.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
We have tent camped through Yukon & Alaska. No problems. Clean camp is essential though. If you're in a campground, then you just need to be less interesting than the others camped there. Not hard to do, unfortunately. Someone always leaves something outside to arouse a bear's curiousity.

If a bear is motivated, it will go through the wall of an RV too. Some bears in this area go through garage walls to get at dead venison hanging inside.

Each summer, bears break into locked freezers that are stored on porches of rural properties.

A black bear broke into this/our cabin when the previous owner left some candy on the kitchen table. Claw marks are still in the bedroom where it broke a window and climbed in & out.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

resmas
Explorer
Explorer
You can absolutely camp in a pop-up on the way to Alaska and IN Alaska. No worries about bears if you keep a clean camp.

There are very few campgrounds in Alaska that prohibit tents or soft-sided campers. I never found one when we lived there, and we camped all over the state.

The bears in Alaska generally have enough to eat in nature and do not bother campers. There are many, many people who LIVE in Alaska and camp in tents and soft-sided campers without a problem. I know multiple families that LIVE in a tent ALL SUMMER LONG until the campground closes, in salmon territory. Never an issue.

While I am sure, over the years and thousand upon thousands of campers, someone's camper or tent has been invaded by bears in Alaska, it certainly has not ever resulted in death or injury, at least not that has been reported by the media. Now, if you surprise a momma bear while you are jogging, hiking or biking, things may not turn out so well. Or if you crowd a bear to get a photo...
2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

sassymae
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks,will share info with husband. Will continue looking for class C.

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

I agree with the above, one step above tent camping. Would recommend something with hardsides in the Yukon and Alaska.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

mpfireman
Explorer
Explorer
Depends where you go in Alaska. Some parks do not allow soft sided units. We had a pop up unit prior to our Alaska trip, and purchased a fiver for our trip. NO, that was not the only reason, we had been looking for a few years to up grade and that Alaska trip was driving force for us to change. Park rangers will visit your camp site to check how you store your food. We had an empty cooler outside our unit, and were informed that it was not allowed, even if it is empty, the BEARS can still smell it.
1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard of bears attacking tent dwellers for TOOTHPASTE obviously thinking it was food!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

RoadLife
Explorer
Explorer
I might be reluctant. Wildlife outnumbers humans there. Lots of bear and moose. You would not want to have food around you - the bears would come in and get it. A hard-sided unit would be the recommendation.
ROADLIFE

RV Part Timers Blog

2003 40' Allegro BUS - 2 slides
2013 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 OffRoad 2014 XC60 Volvo
Shasta - Australian Shepherd; Boomer - Brittany;
Pancho - border terrier