cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pop Up

bigjoey38
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you that own pop ups how do you like them?

Pros- Cons

Thanks

Just trying to get some feedback...
28 REPLIES 28

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
Taking a quick look at 2014 actual specifications reveals the following manufacturer-supplied information using the two largest producing manufacturers:

Rockwood highwall series: 2,806-3,738 pounds dry; 3,741-6,055 pounds GVWR
4 models: all are above 3,500 GVWR

Rockwood hard side series: 1,893-2186 pounds dry; 2,898-3,816 pounds GVWR
9 models: 7 of which have GVWR of 3,200 or less

Rockwood Premier series: 2,445-2,555 pounds dry; 3,339-3,351 pounds GVWR
4 models: all are less than 3,400 GVWR

Rockwood Freedom series: 1,344-2,975 pounds dry; 2,027-5,292 pounds GVWR
13 models: 9 of which have GVWR of around 3,000 or less

Jayco Jay Series: 1,800-2,415 pounds dry; 2,550-4,550 pounds GVWR
4 models: 2 less than 3,000 GVWR and another at 3,450 GVWR

Jayco Jay Series Sport: 1,200-2,385 pounds dry; 1,995-4,150 pounds GVWR
7 models: 6 less than 3,300 GVWR

Of the models above, 22 were 2,050 pounds or less dry. More than half of the new PUP models are around or below 2,000.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

weakknees
Explorer
Explorer
Our first rv was a pop up about 35 years ago and we loved it. Since then we have had Airstream, motor home another tounge pull and now a fifth wheel. Recently we also got a pop up. Love the lay out and the king size beds. However it's not for me. With all the cabinets and storage at floor level at 73 its to hard to get down and back up. As soon as my daughter gets a truck it's hers.
2004 2500HD Duramax-Allison, long bed crew cab.
2002 28' Thor fifth wheel (a good one)

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Newer high side popups are getting to be too heavy to appeal to the market they are designed for. That being light weight and towable by smaller vehicles. A Hybrid trailer offers the benefits of a hard side while still having the tent beds for increased sleeping space and 'campy' feeling. Ours weighed about 3800lbs dry, 5000lbs fully loaded and was easy to pull with our Durango or small truck.

Prior to that trailer we did have a 2000lb popup pulled by a Nissan mini-truck. I'm seeing today's popups weighing in at 3000-4000lbs with only a few in the 1500-2000lb range. Hybrids make more sense unless your tow vehicle is very limited.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

happybooker1
Explorer
Explorer
Although we've moved on/up (depending on how you want to look at it!) we did have a Rockwood 10' box Pup for 3 years. My pro's/con's are similar to everyone else's.

Pro's: lightweight, could be pulled EASILY by my Honda CRV, great gas mileage, could have stored in my garage (if there had been room-LOL!), could move it by hand so I didn't have to bother with 'backing up', easy maintenance, no trailer brakes or WHD needed, what I could afford (bought it 4 years old & paid $3500 cash), held value well (sold it 3years later for $3200 in 2 days!), got us up off the ground & with some amenities (better than a tent). Also LOTS of room when opened up & could sleep a number of ppl.

Con's: the major one is we did 90% of our camping during the summer in TX, FL, & AR. Unless we got a site COMPLETELY in the shade, the 13.5 BTU AC couldn't keep up. Even with a tarp over the site AND covers over the bunk ends. And putting up all that extra 'stuff' just to keep it in the 80's got old after awhile. FORGET overnight camping. Just wasn't worth the set-up in the summer.

Other Cons: set-up/take down, leveling so the door would fit right, minuscule 'fridge' if you want to call it that -- that required also being perfectly level, added cooling fans to the back, and BARELY kept things cool in the summer. Lots of movement even when leveled, blocked & chocked. No permanent storage & had to open it up to access things & load/unload it for every trip. Awning was a pain to set up & stake down.

And the other major thing that finally caused me to then buy an HTT: the wind effect. The Pup never leaked (& we were in some pretty amazing storms!), but OMG the wind causing it to move scared the Beejeebers out of me. Once camping at Ft. Davis in Texas at night, the wind was gusting 35-40 mph and shaking the Pup so bad I made DS get up and we went and slept in the CRV. I was THAT scared it was going to tip/blow over or the roof was going to come off. It didn't of course, but it was scary! We had several other instances where the wind & the Pup's shaking/moving kept me up all night. So that was basically 'it' for me.

However we did make some awesome memories in that Pup & I've never been sorry I bought it!
2008 Tacoma Extended Cab
2009 Keystone Hideout 19FLB
Andersen "No Sway" "No Bounce" WDH

Wine_Maker
Explorer
Explorer
I love the pop ups. They give you such a wonderful feeling of being outdoors and still offer all the luxuries of home. They are also easy to tow.
Happy in the woods.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
bigjoey38 wrote:
How much weight can those beds hold?

Some friends of ours had a combined weight of 600#+. They had the dealer install two additional support poles under their bed. It was an early 90's Coleman IIRC.

Had a pickup camper, popup, hybrid, and now another PUP. Even in the hybrid, we felt too enclosed. Our current PUP has black and gray water tanks, and a shower that is bigger than the one in our hybrid. Biggest downside: colder in cold weather camping. As for gas mileage, our hybrid and current PUP were the same length and weight towing, but we got 11 MPG with the hybrid, but 14-15 with the PUP. The hybrid acted like a sail and just ate gas to get it down the road.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

weakknees
Explorer
Explorer
I have an fifth wheel and a Coleman/Fleetwood Westlake.
I like the king size beds in the PU.Never had any water problems.With only two interior lights it can be a little dim but use florecsent lanterns. most Nearly all my camping is in bear country, never worry about it. Toilet capacity is adequate, fresh water barley, carry extra if I plan on showering. Cons I hate the set up and teardown physically tireing. All storage is on low to the floor. Small tires call for extra caution boondocking. Always have to carry extra ice chest, store cloths in the truck as well as most lawn chairs, grills ect. I might mention I'm 72 and not as flexable as I once was Thus the dislike for the low cabinets and the set up and tear down.
2004 2500HD Duramax-Allison, long bed crew cab.
2002 28' Thor fifth wheel (a good one)

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
A 95 palomino yearling was offered on FB rummage sale near me. The crud wanted $1,975, I told him high retail was $900, and offered him $500. I said I wanted to demo it and make it into a flat bed trailer. Needless to say, I got banned on the rummage page for speaking the truth.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Lovethatcamping
Explorer
Explorer
bigjoey38 wrote:
Thanks for the info.. I have a teardrop camper which is good for 2 as its main purpose is sleeping in it... However might be looking for something mid range as my grandson would like to go camping...

How much weight can those beds hold?

I just bought a Coachmen Clipper and each bed is rated for 1050lbs!

Lovethatcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry miss post

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Jeremy,
Here is example of pup that may work with your Van. Too bad it can not use a wdh hitch.

227 - MAC/LTD Series 12 foot box

Dry Hitch Weight 293 lbs. (133 kg)
Axle Weight 1,713 lbs. (777 kg)
Unloaded Vehicle Weight 2,006 lbs. (910 kg)
GVWR 2,972 lbs. (1,348 kg)
Cargo Carrying Capacity 966 lbs. (438 kg)
Box Size 12' (3.7 m)
Exterior Open Length 23' 10" (7.3 m)
Exterior Closed Length 17' 2" (5.2 m)
Exterior Closed Height 4' 9" (1.4 m)
Exterior Width 85" (2.2 m)

208 - MAC/LTD Series 10ft box

Dry Hitch Weight 219 lbs. (99 kg)
Axle Weight 1,518 lbs. (689 kg)
Unloaded Vehicle Weight 1,737 lbs. (788 kg)
GVWR 2,603 lbs. (1,181 kg)
Cargo Carrying Capacity 866 lbs. (393 kg)
Box Size 10' (3.0 m)
Exterior Open Length 20' 1" (6.1 m)
Exterior Closed Length 15' 3" (4.6 m)
Exterior Closed Height 4' 9" (1.4 m)
Exterior Width 85" (2.2 m)

They are not listing water storage. My glamping classic 625d had 26 gallons of fresh, 6 gallon black cassette and no gray.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
My sub is used a lot. Its my firewood hauling rig, family truck, hunting buggy, offroad tank, and once in the while loaded to the gills tow vehicle.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Cons:
Extensive setup time/breakdown times
Dual Drains
zero interior storage
no wards
Wacky cassette pottie/showers
popup to load fridge

Pros:
Fit in a garage.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
md2lgyk wrote:
For us, there is a difference between "camping" and "RVing." To each their own. A few months ago, we sold our trailer and bought a Coachmen 108ST popup. What a difference! No heavy WD hitch to mess with, can tow it with something that gets decent mileage (our SUV), easy to set up and take down (electric, no hand cranking involved), plenty of room for the two of us, and no extra expense of owning a pickup truck used solely for towing a few times a year.

This is exactly why I sold my Dually and my 31.5 ft travel trailer.

We now have a capable TV (see sig) and will tow a nice sized pup just fine.

I'll probably still use a small WD hitch and sway control.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~