cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable A/C Travel Trailer

Jesshopes
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 37 ft Kodiak TT. We spend a week in Little Rock every July and our AC canโ€™t keep up with the 100 degree temps. We are looking into using a portable AC to help Do you have any experience or advice?
12 REPLIES 12

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
It has to at least help out right since its not the primary cooling unit? I was thinking similar when we head to myrtle beach in the summer.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Portable AC units are heavy, expensive and inefficient. Plus they do a poor job of cooling.

Clicky
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Cocky_Camper
Explorer II
Explorer II
We ordered two new Brisk Air II A/c's for our Class A. One 15,000btu and one 13,500btu. We got them throught PPL Motor Homes and they were here in about 3 days. We removed the old ones and had both new ones running in less than an hour. It required four guys, but it was a simple task other than them being so bulky.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think that perhaps a better place to start would be with sunshades or Reflectix in the windows/vents to reduce solar heat gain. Much like parking in a shady site rather than a full sun site, the lack of sun pouring in should help the AC keep up.

We've noticed a huge difference at the lake when we've forgotten to block the windows. The AC struggled and ran all the time. Then we blocked the windows and the AC caught up and temps dropped in the camper.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

D-C-Johnson
Explorer
Explorer
Jesshopes wrote:
D-C-Johnson wrote:
What year is your Kodiak? I just installed a second unit on our Kodiak last month it helped tremendously. The single 15k btu unit wasn't near enough for our 37ftr, most TT over 32ft are pre wired pending the year and you can get a full kit for roughly 650.00 and well worth it.

Ours is a 2013. My concern is that we don't have enough time to get that done. We leave in 2 weeks.

That might be tough, having to wait on the shipping company because most ship them via freight and not ups/fedex took them 1.5 weeks to get me mine and the shipping location was only 300 miles away.
David,Christy and our three sons
2005 Silverado 2500HD
2018 Kodiak 331BHSL

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 6000btu Global portable in our 32 ft Outback. It makes a tremendous difference on 90* days when your site is in full sun all day. It only takes up a 14"x14" square. It sits in front of our rear window that cranks out on the bottom. I removed the screen and installed a piece of plywood and cut the hole for the hose and also painted it black. I just crank the window open when we need the extra a/c. As far as condensation, it's a non-issue. It collects about a dixie cup per day. I'm guessing it's because we only use it when the roof a/c won't keep up so the air is already pretty dry. That was a concern when we first started using it.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

Jesshopes
Explorer
Explorer
D-C-Johnson wrote:
What year is your Kodiak? I just installed a second unit on our Kodiak last month it helped tremendously. The single 15k btu unit wasn't near enough for our 37ftr, most TT over 32ft are pre wired pending the year and you can get a full kit for roughly 650.00 and well worth it.

Ours is a 2013. My concern is that we don't have enough time to get that done. We leave in 2 weeks.

D-C-Johnson
Explorer
Explorer
David,Christy and our three sons
2005 Silverado 2500HD
2018 Kodiak 331BHSL

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Neighbors bought a portable A/C for their camper, didn't work very well so they took it back and bought a larger btu portable. They weren't happy with it took it back and bought a 15,000 btu roof unit. There not very efficient and bulky.

With that large of a trailer I would get a second 13.5 BTU air conditioner.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Berky, those floor units do work, but they are big and heavy and bulky. And you have to empty the condensation tank often and carefully. Please do not ask how we discovered this fact.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Berky
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a few of those portable units that sit on the floor, when our whole house A/C bit the dust a few years ago. They worked reasonably well, though the output is not real high ... I think most of them are around 6000 BTUH. If your TT has just one roof A/C, you should notice an improvement with one portable unit. If you already have two roof A/C's, 6000 BTUH won't be much of a boost over the 27000-30000 you already have.

If you go that route, they require a vent hose to the outside of the TT. You'll have to rig up something at one of your windows. And the hose they give you with the unit is only about 6' long.
Mike, Barb, and Lilly the Lab
2012 North Trail 26LRSS
Silverado 2500HD, 6.0L gas, 4.10

Roar Like A Lion, But Fear The Hen

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Just got home from lake and it was 103+ for the last 3 days. Camper next to us was a JayFlight and he had a window mount a/c thru his emergency exit window. Threw the breaker a few times so I suggested he run an extension cord to the 20 amp outlet and it worked fine the rest of the weekend. Made a surround with reflectex and he was good to go.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand