cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portable Generator Solutions

MisterCipher
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 19' Rockwood Eco Pro. I'd like to get a generator for camping off the grid. I want to run the A/C so solar is out as a solution. I'm looking at portable generators as a solution but I don't see any with a 30Amp outlet (even with 1800 watt output). Am I right to conclude that a portable generator is not a solution to run the A/C? The larger generators that do have 30Amp outlet are just too big for me.

Am I reading this right? Or am I missing something?

-Lou
105 REPLIES 105

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did answer the original question. He asked if he was correct in concluding a portable genny was not a solution to running an A/C.
My answer was it is a solution if one uses a Honda Companion EU2000i twinned to a regular EU2000i. The Companion provides a 30A outlet.

I further gave the OP a little perspective on how I use mine, and the supply of gas he might need. All this did was supply the OP one frame of reference should he want to power his A/C with a genny.

As for a "peeing contest", this thread quickly went from answering his question, to a generator brand war and a general questioning why anyone would ever want to use a generator.

SoundGuy wrote:
Atlee wrote:
Each person needs to determine their needs, and equip accordingly.

And my long post was not designed to denigrate any other's opinion. It was supposed to recenter a answer specificly for the OP's original question.

It certainly was not to keep the peeing contest on why or why not a person should carry generators and extra gas, alive. That wasn't the OP's original question.

No it wasn't the OP's original question - and that's just the point. 😉 Many post here on the forums asking for generator advice, saying one of the reasons they want one is to be able to run A/C. Fair enough, EXCEPT it's also obvious from reading countless threads like this that many also really don't give much thought to how much fuel it takes to keep a genset running for extended periods of time. You do know that and take appropriate steps to ensure you have sufficient fuel on hand to make this happen - but the OP isn't you. :R He tows with an SUV in which he doesn't want to store a genset so it's unlikely he also won't want to keep cans of fuel in there either, especially large quantities as you do in your truck. As you said yourself - "Each person needs to determine their needs, and equip accordingly." In order to do that the OP needs to consider ALL factors, not just which make / model of genset to buy, and that's what this discussion is all about - or should be. In reality, it's you yourself who is denigrating this into a "peeing contest" when quantity of gas and how to transport it is a legitimate point to bring up, whether the OP originally asked the question or not. Hey, I don't care at all what the OP chooses to do, I only offer comment based on my own experience in owning 2 different Honda EU2000i gensets which I did use to run A/C ... and it ain't as simple as just picking a particular make / model of genset and calling it good. :R
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Braces
Explorer
Explorer
All Federal and many state cgs have a max db allowable for generators from what I understand. If the rangers choose to enforce it you would be shut down. I hear many of the "quiet" open frame generators while tailgating and from 50 yards away they are very irritating.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I have run my AC with a single Honda 2000 at one thousand feet elevation. I should say "Started it, but went into overload and disconnected after five minutes". 3,500 watt unit will run it all day and night.

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have run my AC with a single Honda 2000 at 6k elevation. It was not happy but it did cool the rig.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
TomG2 wrote:
Lantley wrote:
...snip.....
A dissenting opinion or an opposing thought is not a bad thing. Honestly it's what keeps these forums interesting.
.....snip.....

As long as it is not too dissenting. There are certain brands that are the best that ever was or ever will be. The garages and landfills of America are full of such wonderful things. Mostly, these forums consist of "Buy one like mine" comments.

I agree.
Dissenting does not have to be disrespectful.
"Buy one like mine" is not always a bad thing. Especially if it is an innovative outside of the box idea.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
TomG2 wrote:
MisterCipher wrote:
Having measured my trailer and reviewed the dimensions of generators, I cannot fit a generator into my storage space. So I think that makes my decision for me.

Do like the rest of us. Buy a larger trailer. Then buy a larger pickup. Then get a fifth wheel trailer. Then get a dually to pull it. All to have a generator along for the ride. Or, enjoy your camping season. That would be my decision.

Or research mounting a off the shelf carrier on your tongue or having a custom genset platform fabricated for the rear of your trailer.
There are options available for your existing trailer.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
...snip.....
A dissenting opinion or an opposing thought is not a bad thing. Honestly it's what keeps these forums interesting.
.....snip.....

As long as it is not too dissenting. There are certain brands that are the best that ever was or ever will be. The garages and landfills of America are full of such wonderful things. Mostly, these forums consist of "Buy one like mine" comments.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
MisterCipher wrote:
Having measured my trailer and reviewed the dimensions of generators, I cannot fit a generator into my storage space. So I think that makes my decision for me.

Do like the rest of us. Buy a larger trailer. Then buy a larger pickup. Then get a fifth wheel trailer. Then get a dually to pull it. All to have a generator along for the ride. Or, enjoy your camping season. That would be my decision.

MisterCipher
Explorer
Explorer

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned from a week in New York city.

All the street meat vendors....and I mean ALL....use a 2000W Honda generator.
16 hours a day. Every day.

I'm going to get rid of my Generac and get a Honda...you get what you pay for.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds Guy brings up a good point. People often post ideas that are not totally thought out. Or they will post looking for agreement.
If we just agreed that the Honda twins were the greatest gensets ever made because they were the lightest and quietest this forum would be a dull boring place.
But we know there are other factors to consider so others will chime in with differnt thoughts which keeps in interesting.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
GOSH!

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oh, how childish this place can be at times. :B

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
Each person needs to determine their needs, and equip accordingly.

And my long post was not designed to denigrate any other's opinion. It was supposed to recenter a answer specificly for the OP's original question.

It certainly was not to keep the peeing contest on why or why not a person should carry generators and extra gas, alive. That wasn't the OP's original question.

No it wasn't the OP's original question - and that's just the point. 😉 Many post here on the forums asking for generator advice, saying one of the reasons they want one is to be able to run A/C. Fair enough, EXCEPT it's also obvious from reading countless threads like this that many also really don't give much thought to how much fuel it takes to keep a genset running for extended periods of time. You do know that and take appropriate steps to ensure you have sufficient fuel on hand to make this happen - but the OP isn't you. :R He tows with an SUV in which he doesn't want to store a genset so it's unlikely he also won't want to keep cans of fuel in there either, especially large quantities as you do in your truck. As you said yourself - "Each person needs to determine their needs, and equip accordingly." In order to do that the OP needs to consider ALL factors, not just which make / model of genset to buy, and that's what this discussion is all about - or should be. In reality, it's you yourself who is denigrating this into a "peeing contest" when quantity of gas and how to transport it is a legitimate point to bring up, whether the OP originally asked the question or not. Hey, I don't care at all what the OP chooses to do, I only offer comment based on my own experience in owning 2 different Honda EU2000i gensets which I did use to run A/C ... and it ain't as simple as just picking a particular make / model of genset and calling it good. :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380