Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portable Satelite Dish, Is renting a option

kjoh75
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,
I have been trying to find information on renting a portable satelite dish. Occasionally I have been camping in areas with little to no cell phone coverage and of course no TV reception. Would like to know if it is possible to rent a Satelite dish like a portable automatic Winngaard to see if I like it before buying. I would have a power source of course to run it. I have Direct TV at home so I would use one of my own converter boxes in the camper.
29 REPLIES 29

td54016
Explorer
Explorer
I sent you a PM of a local that has everything you need.

rogers81
Explorer
Explorer
No not all dish receiver combo work together. I have Dish network. We tried for years to get a decent signal at the campground with a manual set up never got it quite right. I bought a Tailgater and a 211 receiver it works great. I only pay for the months that I use the programing. We do not camp in the winter. I did have to buy the equipment. I bought mine from Amazon.

iuki
Explorer
Explorer
Templbi wrote:
Couldn't you just take your dish and reciever from your house.. make a little stand from some supplies at home depot? You would have to manually align it but with a compass that wouldnt be to hard.

Sorry to respond so late, but I just got back from a graduation out of state. Although we could take our receiver, our dish is attached to the roof. Therefore, I would need to buy another dish, which is why I asked if all dishes work with all receivers.

6dot6
Explorer
Explorer
yea its the same thing. alls you need is power supply and your good.
2010 gmc cc dually twins, nozzles and trans. 12.6 @ 108 so far.
2013 coleman 297re

Templbi
Explorer
Explorer
Couldn't you just take your dish and reciever from your house.. make a little stand from some supplies at home depot? You would have to manually align it but with a compass that wouldnt be to hard.

6dot6
Explorer
Explorer
my vucube was compatible with different services so i would imagine they would be.
2013 coleman 297re

iuki
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
Just buy an extra dish off of Craigslist and point it manually with a compass. That's what I did and it works great. Had an extra receiver when my daughter moved out. Dish and 50' of cable cost me $20.

We did that with DirecTV. Do all satellite dishes work with all receivers?

iuki
Explorer
Explorer
ArticFox 676 wrote:
iuki wrote:
ArticFox 676 wrote:
iuki wrote:
ArticFox 676 wrote:
We have Dish and also received a free dish and receiver box (not DVR) to leave in the trailer. They also came out when our trailer was at the house and helped us set things up and made sure everything worked. Can't ask for better service than that.

We have Dish with the sling-box, but you need wi-fi to use it. Do you know where we can get a reasonably priced dish and receiver for our trailer?

We called Dish and they came to the house and gave us both the receiver and dish with tripod for free. Had to have the trailer at the house since that is the address on the bill.

Our trailer is also at our house. Do you pay a monthly fee or "pay-as-you-go"?

We don't pay anything extra. We don't have a sling box just an HD DVR. Sometimes we have to call Dish and they ping our box and we are activated.

[COLOR=]You have a good deal. When we spoke with Dish here in Orlando, we would have to either purchase or rent a dish and receiver. Oh well.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Just buy an extra dish off of Craigslist and point it manually with a compass. That's what I did and it works great. Had an extra receiver when my daughter moved out. Dish and 50' of cable cost me $20.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

ArticFox_676
Explorer
Explorer
iuki wrote:
ArticFox 676 wrote:
iuki wrote:
ArticFox 676 wrote:
We have Dish and also received a free dish and receiver box (not DVR) to leave in the trailer. They also came out when our trailer was at the house and helped us set things up and made sure everything worked. Can't ask for better service than that.

We have Dish with the sling-box, but you need wi-fi to use it. Do you know where we can get a reasonably priced dish and receiver for our trailer?

We called Dish and they came to the house and gave us both the receiver and dish with tripod for free. Had to have the trailer at the house since that is the address on the bill.

We don't pay anything extra. We don't have a sling box just an HD DVR. Sometimes we have to call Dish and they ping our box and we are activated.

6dot6
Explorer
Explorer
you can use sat service on the road where ever you go with no additional service fees. if you know someone with direct tv or dish (direct tv works better because they only require a single satelite, dish needs 2 for different channels) you can travel with your box and a dish. satelite service is a one way transmition(sp). there isnt gonna be anything shooting back to dish or directv about your location.

you want to get some type of electronic dish. its so much easier setting up a vucube or similar product than trying to look for service and yelling back and forth. unless you get one of those devices that you can get exact measurements and all.

i dont have directv anymore but i may have a friend of mine get an extra box and just pay him for it. good luck bud.
2013 coleman 297re

MKirkland
Explorer
Explorer
I had my first experience with digital last weekend. Like RoyB said, the picture came in terrific. I was amazed at the clarity. We use a new little 13" tv that worked just fine. I noticed that there were a lot of antennas up in the campground and just turned mine the same direction. When digital is not an option, we have an automatic dish tailgater. Just bring a receiver from home, point the tailgater south, connect with one coax cable and your in business. Less time working and more time for what you really came to do.

iuki
Explorer
Explorer
ArticFox 676 wrote:
iuki wrote:
ArticFox 676 wrote:

ArticFox_676
Explorer
Explorer
iuki wrote:
ArticFox 676 wrote: