cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power Converter and Batteries Issues

KE6IRJ
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, so I am expanding on the previous topic from our first trip out. It appears (now confirmed) that my batteries are dead.

Today, I went to the trailer to remove the batteries and found them audibly sizzling (almost sounds like boiling) and seeping out the corners. I unhooked them both and took them in the back of my truck home to be tested tomorrow, but I am relatively sure they are toast, and leaking they are going to be replaced anyway.

I also was suggested to verify my power converter is a 3-stage unit which will do a trickle down when plugged in during storage. So while I was at the trailer, I found my power converter is a World Friendship, WF-8955PEC, which according to their website (http://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-8955-55-amp/) is a 3-stage converter.

So here is my plan...

I have picked up a Harbor Freight Tongue Boxy 2 3/4 cu. ft. size which fits perfectly between the frame rails of the trailer. This box will be mounted to the battery try bars after I install some vents and grommets for wires to pass through. My batteries of choice are going to be Sam's Club Energizer GC2 batteries (2 hooked in series). The box will be large enough by my calculations to hold 4 if I ever decide to expand. I will need to fasten the weight distribution hangars differently, through the box, or weld the tops in place, but that can be sorted out as I go.

I have photos on Photobucket, but never have any luck posting them, so here is the url to the album.
http://s225.photobucket.com/user/AZLetendre/library/2011%20Keystone

So here is my question, what am I missing? Am I on the right track or am I missing something?
Brian
2010 Keystone Springdale SG294BHSSR
2006 Ford F250 Superduty SB 4x4
12 REPLIES 12

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Robert,
Nice work on the installation and good choice (replacing the WFCO). Was the weight difference noticeable?

Actually, the insides picture of the WFCO is not as bad as I assumed. The wimpy transformer in the center, though, might be the cause of a lot of WFCO converter problems.

Thanks. Not a huge difference in weight. The Iota converter/charger is just a better product. The Iota product can be used as a 12V power supply, with no battery connected. Provides VERY clean power as proven on my oscilloscope. I'm also using an Iota 75A model with my 900AH battery bank connected to my home solar setup. When the sun is hiding for a couple of days, the Iota takes care of charging the batteries.

I have our camper parked next to our house. It's plugged in constantly. The A/C is set to 80 degrees, and runs almost every day of the year sporadically. Heat and humidity will trash the inside of the camper here in FL. Our camper arrived late 2006, and the interior still looks practically new because of the climate control.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
When the battery is low (12.1 or less) plug in and check voltage.
If voltage steadily increases to 14.2+ you are half way there.

After 4 days of plugged in and minimal use check voltage has dropped to ~13.2 and you are golden.

Otherwise a PD or IOTA replacement is in your future. No need to kill these batteries to prove a point.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
westend wrote:
Robert,
Nice work on the installation and good choice (replacing the WFCO). Was the weight difference noticeable?

Actually, the insides picture of the WFCO is not as bad as I assumed. The wimpy transformer in the center, though, might be the cause of a lot of WFCO converter problems.

That wimpy transformer is not an old school 60hz line transformer.

Instead it is a high frequency "chopper" transformer and operates in the 20Khz+ range. Operating at a high frequency allows manufacturers to downsize the physical size of the transformer..

If you notice that huge inductor on the right side that is there to help filter out any residual high frequency hash and RFI..

The downfall of the converter is the fact that WFCO is well known for NOT going into storage mode (13.2V) and gets stuck at 13.6V which WILL boil batteries to death.

There are things that can be done with WFCO converters, you could put it on a timer for storage set the time to run the converter for several hrs per day and boiled batteries will become a thing of the past. When camping you can disable the timer but you will have to remember to re-enable the timer when done camping.

You can also just simply disconnect the batteries, when disconnected your batteries will stay charged enough to be stored for at least 3 months without the need for charging..

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Robert,

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
The WFCO converter/charger in our TT died eventually. But not before it boiled multiple batteries over the years. It also had an audible 'hiss' at night with no loads on it. The intensity of the lights would change as more loads being applied or removed, would change the operating voltage of the camper.

I bought an Iota 55A charger, with the optional 3 stage IQ4 charging module ($20). FAR better product. Quiet, clean power. No more overcharged batteries, and it's quiet at night. All lights on, or 1 on, same intensity.

I managed to slip it into the WFCO panel, so I was able to reuse the breaker panel and fuses.

Original WFCO charger:

The new charger ready to install:

Finished:

This was installed in 2012. Not had to replace the battery since. Previously, every 1-2 years they'd die.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Is that a prorated warranty?

Literally hundreds of folks have come here with the wfco after having lousy results. The testing is already done. Replace the hunk of junk converter.

KE6IRJ wrote:
Thanks on the photos, I will try.

On the converter, I will get batteries first and if it kills them in a year, they will be warranty replaced and then I will know I have a converter problem.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
KE6IRJ wrote:

On the converter, I will get batteries first and if it kills them in a year, they will be warranty replaced and then I will know I have a converter problem.
Well that's certainly one way to deal with a battery charging issue.:R

Waste of good batteries.......dump the WFCO it's junk.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

westend
Explorer
Explorer
KE6IRJ wrote:

Well that's certainly one way to deal with a battery charging issue.:R
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

KE6IRJ
Explorer
Explorer

Brian
2010 Keystone Springdale SG294BHSSR
2006 Ford F250 Superduty SB 4x4

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you ever seen a BATTERY BLOW up.... I have and it's not pretty...

You just cannot keep charging a battery with 13.6VDC for long periods of time without physically checking the battery status for overheating and boiling out of battery fluids...

The WFCO Power Converters have a long documented history on the RV NET for not ever going into smart mode multiple charging DC Voltages... I tried everything I could think of to get my WF-8945 Power Converter (Also identified as a three mode smart charger) to do it without success. When I finally changed it out for a PD9260C Power Converter it goes into 14.4VDC boost mode when you first turn it on to check the status of the battery. If it is charged-up it will then drop back to 13.6VDC mode and finally down to 13.2VDC mode if not being demanded for use... As soon as it is demanded for use by your load it them jumps back to 13.6VDC mode...

I have not had any battery issues with my three 12VDC Battery Bank in my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer using the PD9260C Power Converter/Charger since installed in early 2009...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Change the converter. Consider Progressive Dynamics with wizard, or Iota with genius.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

westend
Explorer
Explorer

First, about the images and posting. This Forum has a problem with the code of Photobucket images. The "Percent20" can be removed from the Photobucket URL and a space added to post. You'll also want to specify 640 as the width of your image. The Forum will never post up a picture of your entire library. Individual images need to be selected. Another workaround is to post through the Woodalls portal as the code restrictions are not in place at that portal. I know, it's a pain and way too restrictive.

About the batteries-I have a pair of the same batteries. I think you'll like the way they work out. It may be possible to put your WDH brackets under the box and use spacers to attach the box, if attaching on top of the tongue. I have the same issue but welded in straps between the tongue angles.

Good luck with the batteries!

BTW, your original batteries have pushed electrolyte out the vents. You may be able to add water, recharge them, and get them back to usable. You probably will lose some capacity but they may be usable.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC