cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

power converter not working ????? help

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I need some help with my troubleshooting. turned on my Fun Finder for the first time and the batteries will not charge. Opened up the converter box and I have 120 volts going into the Parallax series 7100 model 7155 but no 12 volts coming out. I can have it replaced here for $300 or I can order on line for $170 and do it my self. If I power the trailer up and disconnect the batteries, all the 12 volts in the trailer goes away, so that tells me the only thing that is providing 12 Volts to the trailer is the batteries. Its just 4 wires to change out and that is no big deal, does it sound bad to you guys??
11 REPLIES 11

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Just received my Progressive Dynamics PDI 9260 today. It came with a AC plug and no wires for the DC voltage. the old one was hard wired for AC and the DC wires were connected. Pulled the old one out and cut the DC wires, wired them into the 9260 and then just ran a extension cord to make sure it would work. Hooked it all up and it did. Putting out 14.4 volts DC, pulling about 8 amp AC. I just want to make sure it worked before cutting the AC cord and hooking it up for good. I will let it cycle through the modes before I cut the power cord and wire it up for good. Camping season is almost here in Colorado can't wait. Next month will DE winterized and get it going. Yep we will have one or two more snows before warm weather is hear for good.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
WFCO converters have the same issue.

I took mine apart, put the guts on a workbench, and verified power in, good fuses, etc. Never liked it anyway. Light intensity would change depending on load, and would 'hiss' at night with no load.

I found the Iota 55 Amp model was a perfect fit.

Original converter:

Replacement:

Also recently replaced the converter in a friend's vintage Airstream with one of these. We both opted for the IQ4 module to have automatic 3 stage charging, PLUS automatic equalization.

Just another one to consider for anyone else looking for a replacement converter.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Please update when the change over is complete. I am having 12V issues with my recently purchased used pup. The battery drains when hooked up to shore power and running the ceiling lights, but then charges back up when hooked up to the truck. I haven't gone on the fishing expedition just yet, but pretty sure it's converter related. If I do end up changing it out I'd like some opinions on a replacement.

Sounds like you had the same problem. I put my meter on the output of the converter and there was nothing there, that feeds the battier the recharge voltage and its nothing.
I will let you know how the new one works when I get it next week.

onemilmhz
Explorer
Explorer
Please update when the change over is complete. I am having 12V issues with my recently purchased used pup. The battery drains when hooked up to shore power and running the ceiling lights, but then charges back up when hooked up to the truck. I haven't gone on the fishing expedition just yet, but pretty sure it's converter related. If I do end up changing it out I'd like some opinions on a replacement.
TV - 2003 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4
TT - 1979 Holiday Vacationer (Hunting Lodge!)
Tent - Coleman Adler Creek

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
After troubleshooting everything I am sure the converter was bad. I ordered the Progressive Dynamics PDI 9260. It should be a except replacement. It was $210 with the monitor. Now wait a week and install it.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yep, sounds like you've narrowed it down.
It's only a matter of time before they fail anyway, you lucky you weren't on a trip (like I was).
Your going to like how the new 3 stage chargers work.

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
The batteries are working, providing 12 to the entire trailer, so that is good. There is 120 volts going into the converter, just nothing coming out. And I checked these voltages on the converter. So that leads me to believe the converter is broke. I have checked all fuses and ckt breakers, I have used my VOM meter a lot checking everything. I do have 12 volts where the converter goes into the distribution panel, this tells me the wiring is good between the batteries and panel

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, check all your fuses and circuit breakers. There is probably a circuit breaker on the battery's (+) phase cable between the batteries and the distribution panel. It is sometimes bolted to the frame underneath the trailer. It should be close to the tongue.

What happens for some folks is that they leave their batteries unattended, the batteries become discharged. When the converter is first powered, the big inrush current from the converter to the batteries either trips the DC breaker or blows a fuse.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
You first need to determine if you have an connection between the converter/charger and your battery terminals.

There could be some blown fises here. One should located close to the battery terminals and somewhere close to the converter should be two fuses called REVERSE POLARITY. Find those and make sure they are not blown...

You really need to have a multimeter on hand and measure the battery terminals without shore power connected and here you will read 12.6-7VDC if the batteries are fully charged. You should also read this same 12.6-7VDC at the DC output lugs on the converter/charger unit.

If everything is working normal when you plug into shore power then you should read 13.6VDC at the DC output lugs of the converter/charger unit and also at the battery terminals.

These checks should be able to tell where the path is not working or whether or not the converter/charger unit has failed...

check back with what you found...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, it's that simple but don't waste your money on another Prarallax. Get a Progressive Dynamics PDI 9260 and you'll have three stage charging and much faster, cleaner charging.
OTOH if you hooked the battery up backwards then you blew the three reverse polarity fuses. If they're fine then it's time for a new converter.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the main fuse for the converter. Good chance thats all it is.