cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Practical Caravan (British Mag) 2013 Tow Car Awards

PopUpTom
Explorer
Explorer
This is an interesting video of "family vehicles" being tested as tow vehicles. "Practical, easy to live with, and great to drive every day". These are sedans, wagons, and small SUV's - not trucks.

This is a British Magazine video, so the vehicles may differ from North American versions. The "caravans" used in the testing are very different single axle hard-sided campers (not pop-ups) from N/A models too - more like fiberglass Airstreams.

You will have to go to the website to get actual performance details for the vehicles tested. This video is just an overview of how they were tested.

I thought it was pretty cool, but I understand that the "real" tow vehicle (truck) guys and gals would not be interested. I'm OK with that and they don't need to watch it and waste their time.

Practical Caravan Testing Video
2001 V6 Highlander, 2002 Coleman Sun Valley, Single Bar WD, Tranny Temp Gage, Prodigy Brake Control (update 2010: we've moved outside of Memphis, the PUP has a new home, and we're pondering (2014: still pondering) a larger TV and a hardside)
26 REPLIES 26

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:
These campers are what we consider small ultralights which obviously come with limitations to be light and small. Since I don't require that and the limitations that go with it, it doesn't appeal to me. The high prices don't appeal to me either.

If you are talking about a US Popup, the British Caravans are a lot bigger inside. We get Palimino RV Tent Trailers, but so far I can see no takers. A Lot smaller than the Bailey Unicorn etc.Which is 24ft long not 15ft.
My dads Shasta was an early 70's model bought in the late 70s.

It's behind my old Rockwood Pop Up.

The European Caravans you are describing are NOT FOLDING TRAILERS and should be in the Travel Trailer section.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Road Ruler wrote:
Mike Up wrote:

I camp in my Eureka tents, had my pop ups, and now the travel trailers.

Even in my parents 17' Shasta, it had a long sofa and a dinette.

On the same page Mike. Had a Eureka Silver Dome, then a Coleman Rio Grande, and now the TT. My parents bought a new 17' Shasta back in 59.

My dads Shasta was an early 70's model bought in the late 70s.

It's behind my old Rockwood Pop Up.

2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
Mike Up wrote:
NYCgrrl wrote:

I'm still a Eureka Copper Canyon tenter:); certainly will be this summer since my TT won't be ready before the fall. I'll admit that a driving reason for getting an RV is easy early morn hot beverage day starters:h.

Had the 15' X 13' Copper Canyon. 1st week setup in yard, thunderstorm tore it to pieces and wrapped it's steel poles around some trees and fence. Had extra tie outs added but did no good. NO MORE CABIN TENTS! 😄 I'm back to Dome tents that are wind friendly. 😉

Vicious weather in IN.!
Closest time I ever got to concern on that level was the.... day before Hurricane Irene hit landfall on the CT. seashore. Fortunately both my Eureka and Paha Que made it thru that time frame although the more rigid tubular frame of the PQ is a tad wonky to this day. The next day the park was closed by the gov and everyone scattered home. I-95 and the Merrick were a complete driving nightmare and we spent the night at a relative's in Westchester county.

I'm pretty sure my CC is 10 or 11 x 12 and the PQ is for sure 12 by 12. I thank a cousin who joined the Navy underage during 'Nam(long family story that we can all laugh at now), for showing me how to properly guyline my tents just a few days before the storm. You know what they say about fools and children and and I know which one I was;).

My main concern was my neighbors chain link fence. It was brand new and I hoped I didn't damage it. Luckily I was able to unwind it off of the fence and there wasn't even a scratch. Was disappointing as I really loved that tent. First tent I didn't have to seam seal as it had all of it's seams taped. Even expensive top brands usually don't tape all of the seams.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Road_Ruler
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:

Even in my parents 17' Shasta, it had a long sofa and a dinette.

On the same page Mike. Had a Eureka Silver Dome, then a Coleman Rio Grande, and now the TT. My parents bought a new 17' Shasta back in 59.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:
NYCgrrl wrote:

I'm still a Eureka Copper Canyon tenter:); certainly will be this summer since my TT won't be ready before the fall. I'll admit that a driving reason for getting an RV is easy early morn hot beverage day starters:h.

Had the 15' X 13' Copper Canyon. 1st week setup in yard, thunderstorm tore it to pieces and wrapped it's steel poles around some trees and fence. Had extra tie outs added but did no good. NO MORE CABIN TENTS! 😄 I'm back to Dome tents that are wind friendly. 😉

Vicious weather in IN.!
Closest time I ever got to concern on that level was the.... day before Hurricane Irene hit landfall on the CT. seashore. Fortunately both my Eureka and Paha Que made it thru that time frame although the more rigid tubular frame of the PQ is a tad wonky to this day. The next day the park was closed by the gov and everyone scattered home. I-95 and the Merrick were a complete driving nightmare and we spent the night at a relative's in Westchester county.

I'm pretty sure my CC is 10 or 11 x 12 and the PQ is for sure 12 by 12. I thank a cousin who joined the Navy underage during 'Nam(long family story that we can all laugh at now), for showing me how to properly guyline my tents just a few days before the storm. You know what they say about fools and children and and I know which one I was;).

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
Mike Up wrote:
After looking at many, I don't like that most don't have a full size dinette, separate sofa and most importantly, a BATHROOM. I really don't like how expensive they are. They price many people into tents or Pop Ups. I do like that they're very luxury though, but the lack of functionality makes them something I wouldn't bother with. I would rather have a pop up with more beds, sitting areas, and a bathroom.

They do have Bathrooms and a separate Sofa.

Dinettes tend to be this size.

From the many I've seen, usually not all 3 together. Even your pic of the dinette is for another camper, as your sofa pic is the dinette as well.

On your pic, the sofas are crammed together offering little legroom for both people sitting across from one another. Makes sense since that floorplan doesn't have a dedicated dinette. They are cramming 2 sofas together to make a dinette.

I appreciate comfortable sitting when stuck inside because of rain. Even having my tent chairs inside my Eurkea tents on rainy days, are more comfortable than many trailer's cramped seating areas.

With a travel trailer, I also want a full size 2 door refrigerator and a double sink, neither are offered in that floorplan. I worked around a single door refrigerator in the pop up as well as the small single kitchen sink. I don't want those limitations in a travel trailer.

These campers are what we consider small ultralights which obviously come with limitations to be light and small. Since I don't require that and the limitations that go with it, it doesn't appeal to me. The high prices don't appeal to me either. 🙂

Each to their own.

I'm still a Eureka Copper Canyon tenter:); certainly will be this summer since my TT won't be ready before the fall. I'll admit that a driving reason for getting an RV is easy early morn hot beverage day starters:h. And and another reason I don't particularly like big RVs is someone has to clean it and really nobody should turn in MY direction...of course if someone has the foresight to kidnap the cleaning lady and bring her along...heyyyyy why don't we just get a class A? ;).

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
Mike Up wrote:
After looking at many, I don't like that most don't have a full size dinette, separate sofa and most importantly, a BATHROOM. I really don't like how expensive they are. They price many people into tents or Pop Ups. I do like that they're very luxury though, but the lack of functionality makes them something I wouldn't bother with. I would rather have a pop up with more beds, sitting areas, and a bathroom.

From the many I've seen, usually not all 3 together. Even your pic of the dinette is for another camper, as your sofa pic is the dinette as well.

On your pic, the sofas are crammed together offering little legroom for both people sitting across from one another. Makes sense since that floorplan doesn't have a dedicated dinette. They are cramming 2 sofas together to make a dinette.

I appreciate comfortable sitting when stuck inside because of rain. Even having my tent chairs inside my Eurkea tents on rainy days, are more comfortable than many trailer's cramped seating areas.

With a travel trailer, I also want a full size 2 door refrigerator and a double sink, neither are offered in that floorplan. I worked around a single door refrigerator in the pop up as well as the small single kitchen sink. I don't want those limitations in a travel trailer.

These campers are what we consider small ultralights which obviously come with limitations to be light and small. Since I don't require that and the limitations that go with it, it doesn't appeal to me. The high prices don't appeal to me either. 🙂

Each to their own.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:

I also can't wrap my head around the need for a dining area when parks have table and benches on site. Maybe I'll change my mind when I actually get on the road.

When paying a lot of money for a camper, it only makes sense to have a place to have a cup of coffee and a place to sit when you get up in your bed clothes. Of course this applies also when it's cold in the mornings or when it's raining.

After having all of my campers, I wouldn't have a standard dinette by itself. I want a eating area and a place to stretch out my legs that aren't in someone else's way.

My first Pop up had an L-shaped dinette which was a standard dinette shape with a long L extension. Perfect for comfortable sitting away from the eating area I must have.

Second pop up had a U-Shaped dinette. Not as nice as the L-shaped and a bit crowded, but it allowed comfortable sitting that a standard dinette couldn't. The U-shaped dinette was a trade off to have a bathroom and storage cabinets in a pop up. Most have a sofa, traditional smaller dinette, with no storage cabinets.

1st travel trailer was the same floorplan as the current with the exception of the front queen bedroom.

Even in my parents 17' Shasta, it had a long sofa and a dinette. Both made into beds. Much more important than a permanent bed when all of us kids and parents were stuck inside on cold mornings and raining times.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
Mike Up wrote:

Stylish designing to the nth!:C

I'm perfectly content in a smaller space with a design ethos I can appreciate than a larger one that I don't.

I also can't wrap my head around the need for a dining area when parks have table and benches on site. Maybe I'll change my mind when I actually get on the road.

Now to track down that Brit site's printed article.

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
RimCountry wrote:
The Skoda Octavia is the winner, a Czech car not available in the USA. Guess we'll just have to settle for using the Beemer. 😉

Back in the 50's my dad had a skoda and it was built like a tank. The metal must have been a quarter of an inch thick. It was built by Skoda Tank works. He could never get parts for it so he got rid of it...

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
European trailers are designed to be low profile, very light through expensive materials, and very narrow, even if they do have midsize lengths. They look luxury but usually don't have a combination of 1 RV queen bed, full size dinette, a RV sofa, and a full bathroom, or additional bunks for families. Speed limits are also lower allowing cars to pull more stable with those lower speeds. They are also balanced for light tongue weights which isn't always best for the floorplan. Their couplers usually have built in friction pads that aid in sway control due to their lighter tongue weights. Their lower speed limits also aid in sway control.

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Such a different world! Not just the tugs, either. Trailer design is so different over there.

Yep, how long will it take for us to get the idea? Maybe we'll wait for the Japanese and Chinese manufacturers and then the competition will begin and we too can have something modern and technologically advanced.

Funny, they call Europe the "Old World", maybe it's backwards.

IMO, "Old World" = experienced and therefore more advanced.
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter