cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Factory installed Awning LED strip brightness.

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
I see many posts about outdoor lights, and lately folks adding the under Awning LED light strip.

My trailer (sig) came with one from the factory and, I kind of hate it.

Ok, hate is a strong word. I dislike the color temp (too white) can't do anything about that except to rip it off and start over.

My other issue is that it is waaaaay too bright for me most of the time. I was just reading another thread about too much light in campgrounds. I'm a "live and let live" kind of guy, but this LED strip on my camper... It's like standing on the surface of the sun when it's on. 🙂

Is there any way to dim these to control the light output if not the color temp? Can I just put a dimmer inline at the switch without damaging the LEDs long term?

26 days till camping starts for us! Yaaaaaaaaaaay! 🙂
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K
TV: 2017 F250 XLT 4X4 CC SB 6.7L PD 3.31 - "The Silver Streak"
TT: 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU

Our Story...
Places we've camped
18 REPLIES 18

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Where's the Tylenol..
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
So, there is a 1% chance that he gets the wrong dimmer.

That is why I suggested putting a meter and see what it actually draws. In my case, my LED circuit also had a single (standard) light wired to it as well. So it pulled more than expected.

Take thirty seconds to check the amps, or guess. I prefer to check when doing anything electrical.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW- 99% of the dimmers you will find on eBay or your local electronics store are 8A average. That thing posted above is 12A (just bought one too). I have never seen anything in the LED dimmer arena smaller than 5A, and those are the ones that run the 300 LED 5050 strips full bright. Buy the 12A and you won't need to size anything.
Jeff - WA6EQU

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
93Cobra2771 wrote:
Before getting any of the dimmer models, be sure to stick a volt meter on your existing setup and see what the amp draw is.

Then size your dimmer accordingly...
Are you serious? 12A of LED's will light up a stadium. I've not seen one less than 8A.

Yah. But, it's not a terrible point to make for somebody with less or no electrical experience. There is nothing wrong about double checking to make sure that the device you put in can carry the current without failing or overheating. True probably 95% of them out there would have no issue with anything my LEDs could pull, but every application is different.

So. It's a helpful point well made IMHO, and will certainly do no harm whatsoever.
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K

Our Story...
Places we've camped

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
93Cobra2771 wrote:
Before getting any of the dimmer models, be sure to stick a volt meter on your existing setup and see what the amp draw is.

Are you serious? 12A of LED's will light up a stadium. I've not seen one less than 8A.
Jeff - WA6EQU

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer

Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Farm Camp wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
Is it too WHITE or too BRIGHT?
In LED world those are two completely different things. Bright you can fix for about $6 as mentioned above. White is a whole different problem.

The answer is "yes". But I will settle for being able to dim it down some. Thanks for the information folks!
How about THIS. No drilling or major rewiring. For the price, buy two for a spare remote.
Jeff - WA6EQU

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed an aftermarket LED strip. I like it because unlike some factory units, you can dim it, and change the color. It can be white, red, blue... Anything you want. You can even fine tune the color.

I agree the "white" setting is too "blue". This is because the LEDs are made up of 3 separate LEDs, red blue and green. They have all 3 colors at max brightness to produce a combine effect of white... With my system, I fine tuned a custom color, that just has less blue in it, making the white light more yellow-orange colored, and more natural, closer to sunlight.

Here's a link to my thread on this site about it, including a YouTube video of the system. You could possibly take the controls for this system, and use it to control your LED strip. The whole thing costs about $35.

LED Awning Light
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Katy"
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2011 French Bulldog Shelter adopted edition, "Roscoe"
1982 DW, "Rachel"
2016 DD "Harper", the newest lil camper.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Try a little pink nail polish on each lamp.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Our TT has the factory LED lighting in the awning. I too don't like the color. It's cool white and just too blue-ish. It is really bright after dark and installing a dimmer would be a good idea.

There is this LED dimmer on ebay listed for RVs. I can't get the link thing to work so you will have to copy and paste this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-LED-Dimmer-Switch-BRAND-NEW-EXCLUSIVE-/281261224069 It looks like it will stay illuminated at night which may be good for some. I think I will look into using this dimmer.

It looks like your light(s) need to be wired by the factory so that 12 volt power is run to the switch first. If it runs to the light(s) first, then you'll only have 2 wires to the switch and it needs continuous un-switched 12 volts. Or if you have 12 volts you can tie into nearby the switch, that should work.

We have had a LOT of compliments in CGs on our awning lights.

Clicky

Thanks for the links folks. I shoulda googled it first. :S

I think one of these might work. I'll have to look in my switch box and see if I can get it in there beside (or as a replacement for) the on/off switch. Pretty sure it's a 12v strip but will need to confirm before I buy.

Our Story...
Places we've camped

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our TT has the factory LED lighting in the awning. I too don't like the color. It's cool white and just too blue-ish. It is really bright after dark and installing a dimmer would be a good idea.

There is this LED dimmer on ebay listed for RVs. I can't get the link thing to work so you will have to copy and paste this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-LED-Dimmer-Switch-BRAND-NEW-EXCLUSIVE-/281261224069 It looks like it will stay illuminated at night which may be good for some. I think I will look into using this dimmer.

It looks like your light(s) need to be wired by the factory so that 12 volt power is run to the switch first. If it runs to the light(s) first, then you'll only have 2 wires to the switch and it needs continuous un-switched 12 volts. Or if you have 12 volts you can tie into nearby the switch, that should work.

We have had a LOT of compliments in CGs on our awning lights.

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
In LED world those are two completely different things. Bright you can fix for about $6 as mentioned above. White is a whole different problem.

The answer is "yes". But I will settle for being able to dim it down some. Thanks for the information folks!

Our Story...
Places we've camped

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Jeff - WA6EQU

pugslyyy
Explorer
Explorer
wmoses wrote:
Just to let you know that your pictures may not be showing on all screens - they don't on mine.

Thanks, how about now? This is the only message board I use that doesn't have image upload, so was linking from one that did.