cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-Trip Parts/maint.

H2oSprt
Explorer
Explorer
I'm planning a 4000 mile trip in the next few months in my 2004 Truck and Lance, I changed all fluids, belts and hoses. With the truck being 10 years old and having 100K miles on it do you guys ever consider changing things like the fuel pump? I've been having nightmares about being in the middle of Wyoming and the fuel pump dies with the camper being on. Maybe i'm worrying too much?

I posted this here because of the issue of maintenance and having the lance on the truck..
15 expedition El ecoboost

2008 Jayco 12hw
10 REPLIES 10

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, My waterpump gave no warning...the temp started to rise...looking for a place to exit...with in seconds the power steering left...I knew then the belt had come off...just pulled over on the grass opened hood verified belt gone then shut down...the pulley on the pump had sheared off...it was that fast. Didn't shut down right away just in case I found that I could move on a bit more...not the case...as I mentioned it was all over in less than a minute or two maybe three...not long at all!!! There was no noise, higher running temps or indications...when pulling a boat I always watch the trans and engine temps more closely then normal...no changes all normal. Point is NO waterpumps do not always warn you!!!
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only items you missed are the alternator and water pump and battery. The alternator will be fine until it fails and the water pump will provide warning that it is failing. If the battery is more than 4 years old I would replace it. I would also get a set of quality aftermarket head gaskets as they are inexpensive and will take no room in your camper to store them should they be needed - an alternative is to take something like Cyclo PermaStop with you.

PermaStop will fix most radiator leaks and is sold to big rig operators as a way to also stop head gasket leaks in engines. I had a big rig kick up a rock and send it through my truck's radiator and I was having to stop every 10 miles and add water. I found a gas station that sold a radiator stop leak product that was a silver small cylinder that contained a gray powder. I poured the powder into the radiator and that temporary repair lasted for the next 120,000 miles I put on that truck. Now I have a tube of the stuff in the glove box of all our vehicles.

A big advantage of having a truck from one of the big three is that most parts can be purchased at local auto supply houses, like a rebuilt alternator or a water pump.

Be sure to grease the front end before heading out. My 2011 GM truck needs to be greased every 3,000 miles and the fittings/boots take a lot of grease each time.

Tamnative
Explorer
Explorer
I have thought about this alot over the years and carried alot of "stuff" that never got used... ever. If you carry a spare water pump then chances are it would be a hose or something that would go. So I re-thunk my thinking ( is that a word..thunk?) You can't carry all the tools you need for one and to try and anticipate what may brake is impossible and the diagnostic tools needed on todays cars and trucks...well. I carry some wire 12,14 and 16ga,some cutters a multimeter (which is the only tool I have used more than once) channel locks and crescent wrench and of course screwdriver and fuse. Plan for the minor things you won't be able to fix the major ones,you can only hope that you have enought MacGiver in you to limp to where a tow truck can get you.
I have had my water heater act up because of blockage and had yellow flames coming out of the cover and was able to fix it by running a piece of wire through the intake. oOn another trip I couldn't get my refer to light and cleaned the orifice with a piece of wire. You have an injector go out what are you going to do?Try and replace it? Not me not in the middle of no where,I will limp to where I can call someone. The best thing you can have is knowledge of how everything works then to know when you can do something. That is my 2 cents on this post.
2005 Ford F-350 ex-cab Lariat 4x4 srw 6.0 Powerstroke
2008 Bigfoot 10.4

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Pjay. I keep goodsam roadside assistance. Used it once. Fuel pump died. I was headed to an airshow, which I missed.

If it breaks I plan on making it part of the trip. Although it may be a bit more expensive than a national park entrance fee.

Keep in mind, even a new one can break.
Joe and Evelyn

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Waterpump has it ever been changed? What is a K2500...GMC gasser? (a guess).

Hey I was on a trip and the waterpump went out on a Saturady night in the rain on I 10 in the FL panhandle next to nowhere. Best thing I had was AAA RV towing card in my wallet. (what's in your wallet?) BTW, I was pulling my boat. They came with two trucks, one to pull boat trailer, it was a flatbed recovery truck and the one that pulled TC was a semi recovery truck...slid the lift under the fronts disconnected the drive line and away we went in the rain...he took me to the place he had his trucks serviced...I washed my truck on Sunday in the parking lot and had a pleasant day, fiddled with my fishing gear and boat a bit, watched TV and slept. At 0730 hrs Monday the owner was there and told me he had a call from the tow guy and said I'd be waiting. He had me on the road in 45 mins from opening the hood...ocst $168...tow was $400 and AAA paid that when I submitted the bill. SO get a tow package it is the best insurance for a long trip.
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Great question, I see as many newer vehicles broken down on the side of the road as I do old ones. The things that have given me issues were always the things that I never suspected. One time had a bearing go on the belt for the air conditioning, another time after driving a nightmare road had a U joint go.

When you are driving if you notice something like poor handling or a strange noise find a garage and have it checked out without trying to push more miles out of it. I hear from so many people that "It had been making a noise for a couple days" as they are stuck on the side of the road with a bad transmission.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Good maintenance and that's it for me. 2004 with about 175,000 and I do nothing be for a big trip. If you know what's going to brake it should be fixed, you don't need to take parts with you.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
H2oSprt wrote:
I'm planning a 4000 mile trip in the next few months in my 2004 Truck and Lance, I changed all fluids, belts and hoses. With the truck being 10 years old and having 100K miles on it do you guys ever consider changing things like the fuel pump? I've been having nightmares about being in the middle of Wyoming and the fuel pump dies with the camper being on. Maybe i'm worrying too much?

I posted this here because of the issue of maintenance and having the lance on the truck..

You can only do so much...What I did before trip was download info and other common stuff that commonly breaks and put on desk top of computer. Some with step by step instructions. So lack of internet connection won't make any difference.

I do carry scan code reader.

You also might be better off if broke down in "middle of Wyoming" than in a big city. You could be the "out of towner" and maybe even make the weekly newspaper. Versus another nameless face in the dealers waiting room.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
These days a 100,000 miles on a well maintained vehicle is nothing.
Kevin

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Too many parts to replace everything and so doing all the prudent things like you've done is all you can expect. No matter what maintenance you do, stuff happens on the road. You've done the customary maintenance, now have a good trip!
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk