cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Price negotiation

larson101
Explorer
Explorer
I understand every dealer is different, but is there an average percentage that you can expect to get them to go down on the price? We have bought and negotiated cars, but new to the TT world. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you!
17 REPLIES 17

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
oughtsix wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Cash or finance, won't affect the price. The dealer gets cashed out either way. In fact they would probably prefer financing you as they get a little kickback from whomever finances it. 30-35% off their "list price" is what I would shoot for. No dealer prep or PDI charges either...

B.O.

Financed interest rate - Market interest rate = dealer profit. I.e. the higher financing rate they can get you to put your signature on the more profit they make. Used cars work the same way. Same with mortgage brokers.

I thought the same thing. My dealer financed me through Bank of the West with the lowest rate I could find, lower than our bank, credit union, etc. When we got the papers from Bank of the West they informed us they were dropping the rate 1/2 of a percent based on our good credit. I'm sure there is some margin in it for the dealer, but I was surprised to get a lower rate I did not ask for.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

oughtsix
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Cash or finance, won't affect the price. The dealer gets cashed out either way. In fact they would probably prefer financing you as they get a little kickback from whomever finances it. 30-35% off their "list price" is what I would shoot for. No dealer prep or PDI charges either...

B.O.

Financed interest rate - Market interest rate = dealer profit. I.e. the higher financing rate they can get you to put your signature on the more profit they make. Used cars work the same way. Same with mortgage brokers.
2006 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed pickup.
2007 Coachman Captiva 265EX trailer.

larson101
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much everyone!! Really appreciate the info!

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

oughtsix
Explorer
Explorer
You mention you have negotiated many car purchases. Compared to RV dealers car dealers are upstanding honest businesses that always strive to get you the best deal with no regard for their personal gain!... just like crack dealers.
2006 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed pickup.
2007 Coachman Captiva 265EX trailer.

Heavy_Metal_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
Shop the Internet for discount/wholesale dealers. They seem to offer 30-40 percent off MSRP with no negotiation or trade. On the other hand, if you like big discounts and large trade in values then regular dealers will give you what appears to be a great deal.

X2, got to rvwholesalers.com. That will be your lowest price. Start there for bargaining position. They gave me the lowest price on my new RV Windjammer, that included $3,000 shipping to the West Coast. Got a local dealer to match it.

X3 -- I did this based on advice from around here. The price on our TT was already fairly good, but I gave my local dealer the wholesalers quote number and we worked it out pretty close to even up, without the hassle of shipping / not seeing the actual unit before buying.

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
I got right at 33.33% off ($"MSRP" was $42k and I paid $28k). Check out Couch's RV Nation. I was able to get the local dealer to offer the same pricing as them on my unit.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

shenandoahvalle
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
I got 33% off MSRP on my custom ordered TT. My buddy got 40% off a 5er. This is what. I recommend doing. After you select a brand/model you want, get a quote from one of the so called wholesale RV dealers. RV Direct, RV Wholesalers, Lakeshore RV, Holman RV, etc. Very few people pay less than their prices, most pay more. Get quotes from your local dealers. Then decide how much the local convenience is worth to you.

I got about the same on my TT. MSRP was about $39,200 and I have about $26,000 in it.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
TomG2 wrote:
Shop the Internet for discount/wholesale dealers. They seem to offer 30-40 percent off MSRP with no negotiation or trade. On the other hand, if you like big discounts and large trade in values then regular dealers will give you what appears to be a great deal.

X2, got to rvwholesalers.com. That will be your lowest price. Start there for bargaining position. They gave me the lowest price on my new RV Windjammer, that included $3,000 shipping to the West Coast. Got a local dealer to match it.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I got 33% off MSRP on my custom ordered TT. My buddy got 40% off a 5er. This is what. I recommend doing. After you select a brand/model you want, get a quote from one of the so called wholesale RV dealers. RV Direct, RV Wholesalers, Lakeshore RV, Holman RV, etc. Very few people pay less than their prices, most pay more. Get quotes from your local dealers. Then decide how much the local convenience is worth to you.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Community Alumni
Not applicable
In the RV world, the sticker/MSRP is just a made up number by the dealer. It doesn't work like the auto industry. Two people can pay the same price for the exact same trailer. One person saved %15 off MSRP while the other saved 30%. What's commonly tossed around the internet for years is 30% off the sticker, but dealers have gotten smart. They know you're going to come in looking for around 30% off, so they raise the sticker by 30%. It's a win win for them. You think you've gotten a good deal and they got the profit they wanted. Your best bet is to shop the internet and see what other dealers are selling the units for. There's still lots of dealers out there offering good honest prices with an appropriate profits. Take the average of the lowest prices and use this as your target. Start your negotiations much lower, but never exceed the target. If you get up to your target price and the dealer says no, take your business elsewhere. Doesn't make sense to pay more than you have to. Also, don't let them give you a good price, but turn around and pad the final price with a bunch of fees.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
since a dealer can get a window sticker that says about any amount he wants it to, discount from this phony amount can vary. it also depends on whether you are buying a $15,000 TT or a $350,000 Class A.
bumpy

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking at a RES 321. it sold for over 42K I was offered it to me for 34K. I think that is 20%

rugermark2
Explorer
Explorer
Compare prices at multiple dealers. When you decide which dealer you want to buy from start the negotiations at 40% off msrp, let the dealership work there way up from there. Also just like a car make sure to get everything in writing.
2011 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins
2015 Cougar 29RLI