cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Removing the AC Shroud

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
I went out today to install a Micro-Air start unit to my Coleman 15K AC.

The front two screws holding the AC shroud could not be turned by hand with a screwdriver. They must have been cross threaded and then tightened with a drill set to max torque. I was able to get one to turn by attaching a vice grip to the screwdriver but it will not come our and is still fairly hard to turn. At the point that I was considering a sawzall and a sledge hammer I decided to quit and look for advice.

Has this happened to anybody else and if so how did you solve it?

The shroud is made up of two parts that are connected by some sort of interlocking mechanism. There are about eight or so of them. Could half of the shroud be removed with the other half still attached? That might enable me to install the Micro-Air and leave the stuck screws for another day.

I could saw/grind the head of the screw off but then how to reassemble?

I found some parts diagrams on line and it appears that the screws go into some sort of insert in a sheet metal part. Maybe the insert can re removed and then a new one put in? Are helicoils available for this type of problem?

Any other advice is welcome.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y
6 REPLIES 6

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
wgriswold wrote:
Any other advice is welcome.

I have an Impact Screwdriver in my toolbox I use for situations like this.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Those go into rivnuts. I would drill the heads off the screws, drill out the rivnuts and install new.
-- Chris Bryant

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
I think removing the screws is hopeless.  The one I got to turn, turns with difficulty, but does not back out.  I suspect that I broke loose whatever insert is attached to the sheet metal to hold the screw.

I am going to call Coleman to see what they suggest.

Thanks for your replies.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried lightly tapping on the end of the screwdriver with a hammer while you're applying twist? That has worked for me in a few scenarios.

When I removed my shroud last year, it was similar, even though it has been trouble free in the past. Dunno what caused it, and it went back together fine. Actually, I think I may have ended up using my Ryobi One Plus impact wrench to remove them.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
small drill bit and drill it out ,then retap the hole or drill it out and use a fast nut . there spring loaded and snap over the side of the frame.you could also use self tapping screws. replace with stainless screws on all of them.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suspect some sort of thread locker. Blue is supposed to be such that it can be loosened with hand tools and red is supposed to only release with the addition of heat. I'd check the threads closely on the removed screws. BTW, I would definitely recommend Loctite blue for those screws. I've seen too many air conditioner shrouds along the highway, and had found some screws on my units beginning to back off before I started using the stuff.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus