Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

propane fire pit operating cost and connection to TT

nunuc2000
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

A couple questions about rv'ing with a propane firepit.

It appears that in order to limit the firefighting resources in our provinces, we will likely be camping with a full fireban for the majority of our camping season.

We're looking at the idea of a portable propane firepit. The one we have in mind is 58,000 BTU's, and I'm wondering how long a 20lb propane tank will last (in hours) if we run the firepit on medium. Also, is it possible to connect it directly to our TT, much like our Coleman grill is connected?

Thanks for any helpful advice 🙂
12 REPLIES 12

nunuc2000
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the great advice and info 🙂

We've placed our order with Costco for the Outland Cypress Firebowl. At our favorite campgrounds, propane firepits are always allowed during a fireban, and they're allowed in our community as well, so I'm sure we'll enjoy using it both at home and camping.

We connect our grill directly to our trailer (2x30lb tanks on board), but will use a stand alone 20lb tank for the new firepit, giving us a bit more freedom in placement. I'm confident that we should be able to get about 10 hours of use per tank on medium, which should be great for our needs. The campground we usually camp at has propane refill services on-site, so that back up is in place too if we need it.

We typically cruise a lot during the year, and camp during the summers... but since cruising is cancelled for us until next year, camping is MANDATORY for my sanity!

Stay safe and healthy everyone!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
In some areas, a fire ban means "no open flames" of any type, so that's something to research in the provinces you travel in.

yup. My experience is that in "Most" "fire bans" they will allow an open flame from propane appliances that have a quick shutoff. There have been a few cases where the only propane they allowed was a BBQ grill. No propane or white gas lanterns, no firepits.

Interestingly in a few places the first restriction is NO CHARCOAL but still allow wood fires and propane. Then it's no wood but propane.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
In some areas, a fire ban means "no open flames" of any type, so that's something to research in the provinces you travel in.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've been using one for about 10 years now.. I do like a good camp fire too, but sometimes it's just more convenient to use the propane like here, where they don't have fire pits in the campsites (Pacific Beach SP).

It does go thru the gas pretty quick. I use a stand alone tank that I use for the camp stove and BBQ too, and a couple of hours a night for a long weekend, plus some cooking/bbq time does not leave much left of a full tank, but I just get them filled again and enjoy.

Good luck, Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
The one I have with the same BTU output,the last time I had it out with a full 20 LB tank.

First night ran it 2 hours full on, then the next night the same 2 hours,third night it ran about 1 1/2 hours but it was not putting out as much flame then the propane ran out.

So I got 2 nights of full on then the last night about medium for 1 1/2 hours.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
One gallon of propane weighs 4.2 pounds. A "full" 20 lb cylinder should have 4.7 gallons of propane in it which translates to about 430,000 BTUs. Dividing 430,000 by 58,000 BTUs burned per hour gives us 4.7 hours on one bottle of that size. I also balance checkbooks but charge for that basic arithmetic.

430/58=7.4 hours not 4.7 hours. probably dyslexic typing!

Now, at full draw, what I will say from experience is the last gallon is going to be a lower output. as the propane boils away it cools down and 58K draw from a 5 gallon tank will start to have reduced output with around a gallon left. You will see the flame go down.

but figure a good 6 hours at full output, on medium 10 hours or so.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

nunuc2000
Explorer
Explorer
Fresno Tundra Driver wrote:
When using the full 58000 Btu’s you’ll get around 8 hours from a 5 gallon tank. On medium, I’d guess around 10-11 hours...

That makes a lot more sense... thank you! We're going to go ahead and get one, as that sounds pretty reasonable as an alternative to firewood. 🙂

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
When using the full 58000 Btu’s you’ll get around 8 hours from a 5 gallon tank. On medium, I’d guess around 10-11 hours...
E.Lee Galik

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
One gallon of propane weighs 4.2 pounds. A "full" 20 lb cylinder should have 4.7 gallons of propane in it which translates to about 430,000 BTUs. Dividing 430,000 by 58,000 BTUs burned per hour gives us 4.7 hours on one bottle of that size. I also balance checkbooks but charge for that basic arithmetic.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

nunuc2000
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Propane has 91,500 BTUs per gallon.

Ok... so what does that mean in terms of how long a 20lb tank would last for a firepit like the one I've described?

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Propane has 91,500 BTUs per gallon.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
We have the little red campfire in a can. I don't know how long it will last on a 20 lb tank but it with be a long time. It has its own regulator. So you hook it to your onboard tank.
65,000 btu output.