cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane Quick Connect?

Emily_Eisenman
Explorer
Explorer
We have recently moved from a Class A to a travel trailer.
We're used to having a propane tank mounted under the unit with a quick-connect hose/valve to use for gas grill, etc.

Now we have the double bottles mounted on the hitch.

Is it possible to draw from these bottles for a gas grill? If so, what part(s) do we need to make a connection?
Jack & Emily Eisenman
1992 Airstream Sovereign 21'

Previous: 2014 Winnebago Sightseer 30A
Previous: 1992 Foretravel Grand Villa U-225
Previous: 2004 Monaco McKenzie Rogue
Previous: 2000 Four Winds Funmover Toy Hauler
9 REPLIES 9

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Emily_Eisenman wrote:
Unfortunately there is no port or connection under the trailer.
Maybe look closer. There might be a capped tee in the black pipe if lucky, but were quick-connects common back in '92?. We had a tee on a previous TT. Problem was, it was near the front of the TT but our entry door and kitchen was at the rear. I bought some long propane hose and tie-wrapped it to the black iron propane pipe and installed a quick-connect at the rear.

Where is the regulator? Can you install a tee on the low pressure side? Regulators are usually at the tanks these days and there's a single "bulkhead" fitting in the A-frame area that adapts hose to iron pipe. Perhaps if you have a bulkhead fitting you could add a tee there?

When it comes to propane, there's all sorts of various fittings & sizes and with flare or pipe thread connections. I've found that Ace hardware has a good selection.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not seeing any regulators coming directly off the tank. The "switchover" you're referring to more than likely is your regulator. You would need to put a T off the low pressure side of that and run a new hose.

Emily_Eisenman
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
Was your motor home lp hookup high pressure, using the 1lb bottle threaded hookup, or was it a low pressure quick connect. The low pressure can easily be added to your system, the high pressure can be added at the cylinders, but it’s a bit of a kludge.
Nice Airstream, btw.

On MH it was low pressure so we didn't use the regulators that came with the appliances (camp stove, fire pit). I'm good with either way, but prefer the connection already be low pressure so I don't have to carry the regulators.

Since the current system has regulators right off the tanks(at least that's what I think I'm seeing - the green screw in parts make me think there is a regulator down the line somewhere) I'm not sure what parts I need to add a tee after that.
Jack & Emily Eisenman

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Was your motor home lp hookup high pressure, using the 1lb bottle threaded hookup, or was it a low pressure quick connect. The low pressure can easily be added to your system, the high pressure can be added at the cylinders, but it’s a bit of a kludge.
Nice Airstream, btw.
-- Chris Bryant

Emily_Eisenman
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately there is no port or connection under the trailer.

Here's a photo of what the propane area looks like. I see regulators coming directly off the tanks. At the bottom of the tanks there is a part that switches over from one tank to another (not sure what that is called), and from there the line runs into the trailer.

Click For Full-Size Image.
Jack & Emily Eisenman

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Under my trailer was a propane distribution block with an unused port. 5ft of hose and a little bit of routing, and I now have the quick connect available 🙂

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
You might already have one...ours does.

Look for something like this along the frame rail on the door side.

(Google Image snip)
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it was me, I would use something like this if you don't already have a quick connect under the trailer. It's a little less convenient but much more versatile. clicky

MACHZER
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look under the trailer, most have a propane quick
connector
Clandeboye , Manitoba