cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulling the trigger on first TV - anything I'm missing?

chilly81
Explorer
Explorer
I'm about the pull the trigger on a brand new TV. Think I have everything sorted out, but I have no actual experience with this stuff - just reading the interwebs. It's a lot of dough - so I wanted to just throw it out there to see if I might be overlooking anything.

Trailer (patiently waiting in driveway):
02 Nash 22h (24' TT). 4200# dry. 7000# max loaded.
I ~believe~ dry tongue is quoted around #450... I think worst case assume #1000 - and the truck could handle that with me and a couple hundred #'s of junk in the bed. I can't imagine it being that high though.

Truck:
2014 Ram 1500 Express Quad cab 4x4
5.7L 8-speed auto, w/3.92 gears
20" rims
Integrated brake controller
Class IV hitch
Tow mirrors.
Backup camera.
Tow: 10,150#
Payload:1495#

I didn't go for air springs. I got a 1000# equal-izer hitch off craigslist that I'm going to start with and see how things work.

So am I forgetting anything (besides ford/gm/toyota/diesel is better type of advice)?
15 REPLIES 15

chilly81
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! Getting pretty excited to actually move the trailer. I bought it 'delivered' so it's sat for a month or so as I worked on it and shopped for the truck. A new set of sneakers this week and we'll see if I can take it for a ride then back it back into that spot 🙂

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
Good lookin' truck! Congrats!
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice and Thank you!!!

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

chilly81
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate the last minute sanity check everyone. I did the deed today after work. Here's a couple quick shots before the sun goes down. I could probably have moved the garbage cans.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
dshelley wrote:
EcoBullet wrote:
Looks like a good match to me! (But, I'd rather go EcoBoost : ) )

EcoBullet, have to agree, everything I've heard and read about the Ecoboost has been positive, would make an excellent choice also. Haven't driven one yet, but hoping to one day. Have to talk nice to some of my friends who have one.

He has it right , no need to muddy the waters. The Ram is an excellent truck. Spent nearly 16 years with a ford super duty before going with a new 2014 Ram. He is giving up nothing going with a Ram truck.

Tough to make a call on a truck you have never driven, and I am sure the OP has checked them all out as I did, and chose the Ram as many are starting to do.

dshelley
Explorer
Explorer
EcoBullet wrote:

EcoBullet, have to agree, everything I've heard and read about the Ecoboost has been positive, would make an excellent choice also. Haven't driven one yet, but hoping to one day. Have to talk nice to some of my friends who have one.
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 5'7"box. 395 HP 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gear, 8 speed auto. 26 foot Heartland North Trail Caliber travel trailer.

dshelley
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Bighorn 2 wheel drive Ram crew cab with the 5.7 eng, 8 spd, 3.92 rear and absolutely love it. I pull a 27 foot travel trailer weighing about 7000 pounds and it does more than fine. I traded a 2013 single cab Ram Express 6 speed 3.55 for it and the difference is night and day. The 8 speed 3.92 gets great mileage, both empty and pulling, and the power is unreal. It holds gears downhill very well and is just plain fun to drive. It comes closer to getting it's advertised highway mileage than anything I've previously owned. We just returned from a 600 mile camper trip a week ago and I'm still smiling from the satisfaction I received from that truck. Believe me if you can indeed get that combination you mentioned, you can certainly be sure nothing out there will do the job better. You will enjoy that brake controller, it works great and is easy to adjust. The tow mirrors are, must have, and believe me you will be glad you have the back up camera every time you hitch up. Enjoy, I know you will.
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 5'7"box. 395 HP 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gear, 8 speed auto. 26 foot Heartland North Trail Caliber travel trailer.

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like you will be ready to go. Nash trailers are well made, good choice.

Good luck,
Stu
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

chilly81
Explorer
Explorer
Perrysbugh, yeah I had the same problem online. On edmunds too. It's on the window sticker though - but I'll take a look at the axle just for good measure.

The Express is just a trim level - essentially one step up from the work truck. It's pretty much the cheapest one I could find with carpeting and the mechanicals I actually needed. Not many 3.92's available so you kind of take what you get. I would have cheaped out and skipped the backup camera, but it's definitely nice to have.

I didn't try a Ford just because with Ram's rebates and employee pricing, it was the only new truck I could afford. Was actually planning on a couple year old Tundra originally. Still costing me 5-6 times what the trailer cost!

Ha about the next one. You're probably right... but I'm fairly certain the next one would be no bigger... maybe newer, nicer, with a slide. The nash is a heavy 22', so hopefully this will still cover whatever I step up to.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Have fun with your new truck and trailer! Looks like a great pair!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how your getting the 3:93 gears, but i can't build one with the specs you posted. Now with that said, the dealers can add options that the web-site won't let you add. When you add the 8 speed it will only let you have the 3:21 gears which will put you at 1,511# pay load and 8,000# max towing RAM 1500 EXPRESS 5.7-LITER V8 HEMI® MDS VVT
QUAD | 6'4" | AUTO | 4X4
AXLE RATIO 3.21 MAX PAYLOAD 1,511lbs MAX TOWING 8,000lbs

Please check with the dealer and confirm that you can get the 8 speed with the 3:93 gears!!! As I said I could only build the truck with the 6 speed and the 3:93 gears!

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Looks ok to me. I pulled a 27' 7500gvw tt with a '99 Dodge ext. cab with a 5.2L and 3.55 rearend. It was just fine even out west.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Should be ok for that trailer. What about the next one though? You do know there will be a next one? This is why you see so many 3/4 ton pickups pulling trailers.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)