cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulling Travel Trailer in Colorado with Tahoe

dcrawdad29
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I have an 08 (low miles) Tahoe, 3.73 rear axle, 5.3 L, V-8, 4-speed, tow capacity just over 7k, tow/haul mode, pulling a hybrid TT of dry weight 4,000 lbs with electric brakes, using weight distribution hitch and sway bar. Installing OEM trans cooler before the trip next June. Traveling from St. Louis, itinerary may be Rocky Mountain National Park (camping near Estes Park), then onto Glenwood Springs, then backtrack to Colorado Springs (probably through Denver), and finishing up at Sand Dunes Natl Park. I am asking for advice on roads to take/avoid and thoughts on how well my vehicle will do. I am most concerned about I70 West and then back again going through Vail Pass and Eisenhower Tunnel and should I stop short of that, drop the camper at a campsight, and go through Vail Pass onto Glenwood Springs without the camper? Any recs on campsights around that area if I camp before Vail Pass? Any other thoughts on other roads I may have difficulty on with my other locations?
23 REPLIES 23

busterja21
Explorer
Explorer
Why not take hwy 24 from minturn over tennessee pass to leadville, then 24 to buena vista and then to the springs. I've done this route many times with my 37' toyhauler in tow. Avoid I70 between denver and vail west on fridays and east on sundays. Agree with Schomer, I25 gap construction is a mess who knows how it will be next year.
2019 CC F350
2017 Impact 312 Toyhauler
2014 Yamaha grizzly 700 (mine)
2013 Yamaha grizzly 550 (hers)
1998 Kawi Prairie 400 (boys)

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
dcrawdad29 wrote:
Cekk or whoever, If not taking I70, is it easier going from Colorado Springs to Glenwood springs or is it easier going from Glenwood to Colorado Springs?

Taking Interstate 70 or 25, not much difference. However if you are talking about going through Breckenridge I would say it's probably a little bit easier from Glenwood Springs to Colorado Springs than the other way around. However, I should say that I've driven those routes and many others for many years and might underestimate the degree of difficulty for an inexperienced Mountain driver. Having said that, I went across Red Mountain Pass in a rainstorm one night many years ago and it scared the hell out of me.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

dcrawdad29
Explorer
Explorer
Cekk or whoever, If not taking I70, is it easier going from Colorado Springs to Glenwood springs or is it easier going from Glenwood to Colorado Springs?

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Trail ridge road was closed last summer because of Covid so I got online and found out that when It did open up , it required reservations, so make your plans long ahead of time. I will only risk I 25 between Colorado Springs and Castle Rock between 9 AM and 2 PM because of the Gap construction area. Denver is horrific, now, avoid rush hours like the plague, AIDS, herpes and covid, all in one. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
soon2bexpat wrote:
Also, I got a Bluetooth OBD reader that plugs into the port. I use an old phone (cracked screen) to display a gauge set including trans temp. Cheap way to have a full gauge set.

Excellent suggestion !

30+ years ago I worked in transmission engineering. Even then, ATF was good for up to 250F. Modern synthetic or semi-synthetic ATF is good for more !

soon2bexpat
Explorer
Explorer
Also, I got a Bluetooth OBD reader that plugs into the port. I use an old phone (cracked screen) to display a gauge set including trans temp. Cheap way to have a full gauge set.
Kodachrome Time Machine, my vintage photo collection from the 1940s to the 1970s: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCff0z54NyAfuAjUST896l6g

soon2bexpat
Explorer
Explorer
I've got almost the same set-up: '02 Yukon XL, same engine & rear, and a hybrid trailer. I haven't been over 8000' yet, mostly northern NM & AZ. It pulls fine but steeper grades will be done at very slow speeds.
Kodachrome Time Machine, my vintage photo collection from the 1940s to the 1970s: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCff0z54NyAfuAjUST896l6g

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
You might be slow as you approach the I70 tunnel from either side. Let the vehicle downshift and have patience while climbing. Enjoy the view and don't make it a race and you will be fine. Keep control of your speed when descending too. Don't ride the brakes. Let it coast up to speed and then use the brakes moderately firm to lose 15-20 mph before you let off and start letting it gain speed again. Downshift at least one gear for the descent. Before you know it this fun part will all be behind you. Leave extra time so you are not rushed.

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
The weights and measures people will be asking you for more information. Your tow capacity is, standing alone, not worth much. However, I have some experience with that area, having lived there for many years. You might consider other routes to Colorado Springs. Of course it depends on where you are and very you are coming from. But you could go through Breckenridge, up over Hoosier pass which is not bad, and down through Alma and Fairplay, that being on Highway 9, and from Fairplay a couple minutes jaunt on I believe it is 285 over to Highway 24 and East to Colorado Springs. I'd tell you not to be scared off from the Eisenhower Tunnel and Vail Pass. But Figure on losing approximately 3% of your horsepower for every thousand foot gain in elevation. Don't try to keep up with fast traffic, just maintain a comfortable speed for your engine and transmission. Use gears on downgrades where necessary, keeping off the brakes as much as possible. That drive, particularly west of Glenwood Springs on I-70 is just gorgeous. One of the most beautifully yscenic highways in the country.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."