cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Putting Kayaks on a truck roof

The_LeRoys
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 Silverado 2500 crew cab, with a topper, that is level with the cab height. I'm considering buying kayaks that are in the 12-14' range, and was hoping I could find a roof rack for the cab of the truck only that would hold them.

I'd rather not have to buy a T bar to attach to a front receiver if I can help it. And I'd also like to avoid having to mount some type of bars to my topper.

My question is, can you recommend a roof rack system that i can carry 2 kayaks on just the cab?

Thanks,
Brian
Brian & Evie LeRoy and our 4 kids.
2013 KZ Spree 329IK
2006 Ford F250 6.0L
2008 Ford E350 v10
11 REPLIES 11

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Ford 250 with the topper the same height. We bought the Yakima rack for on top of the cab. Once you get it set up they fit nice on the truck. Then on the topper I bought the Yakima rack we had to drill into the top. I have a 20 foot tandem ocean kayak, and replace it with a 16 foot canoe, Knee replacement made it hard to sit in the ocean kayak. Not cheap but its safe, I take a step stool to get it up on top and I am 6"2. I still use a rope to tie the front to the front bumper, just in case something lets go.

forthefunofit94
Explorer
Explorer
BusterMama wrote:
We use the Thule Hullavator system on the cab of our Chev Colorado crew cab for transporting our 14' double kayak. We love it. Easy to load and unload. Very secure. Pricey, but worth the investment in our opinion. We can get out and enjoy our kayak more, simply because this rack takes the grunt work out of the equation.

X2 I've had one for 9 yrs. Works great.
David & Karen Castellon
2015 F150 XLT
302 w/tow & anti-sway package
Backup camera & brake controller
EQUAL-I-ZER hitch

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I have hauled canoes and kayaks on a variety of vehicles for well over 100,000 miles so far....and I hope for many more miles.

What is worse, intentionally putting some holes in your topper or having your kayaks and rack blow off the roof due to wind loading?
The best support for a 14' boat would have the bars spaced about 10 feet apart. If you can accomplish this on the roof of your truck that would be perfect. But if you can't, then I advise you to put a cross bar on your topper.

Happy paddling and don't forget to wear your PFD's,
Steve

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Thule tracker based systems are removed with the push of a button. remove entire kayak system and park in garage easily.

I load a 79lb 38" wide 14.7' canoe onto the roof of a k2500 suburban solo. I use an Oak Orchard Mega Mega Canoe Roller Loader system that mounts in the 5th door crack. K1500 z71 subs et al have roller racks OEM.

I had the rain gutter on the k3500 w/high top cap. That had the canoe up in the stratosphere and a 2 person with moveable ladder to load.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be sure to check you garage door hieght. My 4x4 with a raised cap will not fit in my garage with a canoe rack istalled.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:
I dont know about the cab but the topper works. You can install thule tracker trays and tk1 feet

This what we do. Surprised the OP doesn't want to. LEER sells its topper with Thule Tracker II racks installed but, as noted, you can get them separate and install them yourself.

Our kayaks are only 12' though. If much longer would probably have a single rack on the topper and one on the truck cab.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

chezmoose
Explorer
Explorer
BusterMama wrote:
We use the Thule Hullavator system on the cab of our Chev Colorado crew cab for transporting our 14' double kayak. We love it. Easy to load and unload. Very secure. Pricey, but worth the investment in our opinion. We can get out and enjoy our kayak more, simply because this rack takes the grunt work out of the equation.

X2

I'm sure any Yakima or Thule dealer can recommend a system that will fit your truck. We've had a few different configurations on our Jeeps, but our next system will be the Hullavator. Ingenious! The DH has a bad shoulder and it's getting increasingly harder for him to lift the yaks up over his head to put on top of the vehicle and then you have to use a ladder to secure them once they're up there. With the Hullavator, everything is done at waist level and then flips up and locks into place. They are expensive but would make things so much easier.
DH, Me and 3 Australian Shepherds
2011 F150 EcoBoost Super Crew
"Elsa" - 2014 Skyline Eco Camp 19WQ
"Stella" - 1974 Starcraft Galaxy 6 PUP

emonkemeier
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Thule load bars and feet that fit on our truck cab perfectly.
We use the Yakima kayak holders very similar to Thules. The only downside is lifting up the kayaks. I am 6'4" and can barely reach.
Ed
2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
2012 Cruiser RV Viewfinder 24SD

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I dont know about the cab but the topper works. You can install thule tracker trays and tk1 feet or screw in rain gutters. I had old rain gutter feet laying around and screwed the rain gutter base directy into the fiberglass topper.

I have seen 5fer with a frunt hitch, t-bar, and two kayaks loaded from the front and rested on the cab (out of necessity).
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yakama makes what is called "Landing Pads" and they have towers and bars for them.
They also have a toggle bolt like thing (forgot what it is called)that you mount the landing pads directly to your roof and the under part stays between the outer roof and the headliner,
I have that set up on my 2006 Ford F-150 and I just installed it on my new 2014 Dodge.
You need to install them as close to the side solid supports as possible, and you might need to drop the head liner to make sure you won't drill into any air bag, (I had to do that on my new Dodge)

I also have a set on my fiberglass top. (on both trucks) They are mounted directly through the top with a large round nut on the under part.
All of the above are water tight, etc.

The first hole you drill hurts the worst !

I carry two 18 foot long sea kayaks, and a 17 foot canoe all at the same time. Just got back from a 2000 mile trip with them on the new dodge, and every other year I did the same with the Ford
Jack & Nanci

BusterMama
Explorer
Explorer
Bigsby, the 2013 LTV Libero