Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about air conditioning

dvitale300
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone!

I have a 30ft TT (about a month old) with a 13500 rooftop air conditioner. I am noticing that if it is humid outside the air conditioning doesn't seem to work very well. Is this normal for this type of air conditioner, or do I have a problem that needs to be addressed.
Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another problem you might have is opening the windows of a night. If you do this then the A/C has to catch up again and dehumidify the trailer. As others have said start early in the morning, park in the shade if possible and cover the windows to keep the sun out.

Opening the windows or vents is counterproductive.

Parking in the shade will do the most to keep cool.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Check the coils. They most likely need cleaning. Makes a big difference when they are cleaned.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

dvitale300
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
That's a bit light on BTU's for a 30' trailer. Normally I would expect the base to be 15k btu with a possibility for 2 units.

With humid air, the effect is that it spends most of the energy at first acting as a dehumidifier. Then once the humidity is down, it can get the actual temperature down. Of course, 80 with low humidity is much more comfortable than 80 with high humidity.

As someone mentioned, if the trailer is heated up, it will struggle to cool the unit as the furniture and walls release the pent up heat back into the air slowing the cooling process.

One trick we use when it's really hot is to close off the bedroom during the day so it's only cooling the main living area.

Thank you everyone - follow-up question. How much venting should I have going on. One window cracked slightly, a bunch of windows an inch open? I normally close the roof vents and put a foam pad in there with reflective coating to repel the sun's rays?

thank you all again!

david

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
That's a bit light on BTU's for a 30' trailer. Normally I would expect the base to be 15k btu with a possibility for 2 units.

With humid air, the effect is that it spends most of the energy at first acting as a dehumidifier. Then once the humidity is down, it can get the actual temperature down. Of course, 80 with low humidity is much more comfortable than 80 with high humidity.

As someone mentioned, if the trailer is heated up, it will struggle to cool the unit as the furniture and walls release the pent up heat back into the air slowing the cooling process.

One trick we use when it's really hot is to close off the bedroom during the day so it's only cooling the main living area.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
What issue are you having?

Is the A/C cycling or is the compressor on non stop trying to cool?

What fan speed setting?
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you are turning on your air conditioner at the end of the day, or after traveling in the heat all day, those air conditioners have a hard time actually "cooling" things down. Seems they never catch up. I think that's because the walls, the furniture, the floor, your carpeting, your mattress, bed-linens, cabinets, everything retain the heat and it keep pumping heat until things begin to cool down outside. This seems to just be the nature of the beast.

You really have to start the air conditioner in the morning when the camper itself is cool (especially if you are in a hot climate.) Then it will keep up and actually, can potentially, freeze you out!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It's normal. That size of trailer or even my 25' will struggle with only a 13.5K if it's into triple digits and/or it's very humid.
You can make it work better by blocking out windows or parking in the shade.