cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about extended warranties

Crambo
Explorer
Explorer
I normally do not pay for any extended warranties on any products but all of the issues make me nervous. The dealer is trying to sell me extended warranty for five years and an additional four years if it's not used along with some expensive protective treatment. I figure this is a very expensive coat of wax. I don't really want any of these add ons but should I get them? My wife always gets suckered into extended warranties and I hardly ever buy them. Travel trailers don't seem to be complicated machines and if you look, here isn't a whole lot of expensive components in one other than the fridge, AC and maybe stove. Most minor problems can usually be fixed at home with basic knowledge and some common tools. My dealer is around 90 miles away so I'm not going to run to the dealer for every little thing anyway. What do yall think?
13 REPLIES 13

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Some thoughts;

Unless you are getting an extended warranty from the manufacturer, you are more correctly purchasing an insurance policy. Only the manufacturer has a warranty.

It is little known that Forest River offers a great deal on a one year extended warranty, you didn't mention what RV you are purchasing.

Extended Warranty companies have a nasty habit of selling these insurance policies and when they start having to pay out, the company folds. The owners of the company then start selling the same product from a different company.

Consider that around half the money paid for that dealer offered "warranty" goes into the dealer's pocket. The dealer is 'upselling" you and is operating in their own best interest, not yours.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were offered the clear coat option on the two year old TT we purchased. If I keep it five years, no one is going you care how shiny a seven year old TT is.

We passed on the offer.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Good Sams, I found it far cheaper than the one offered by the dealer. A lot cheaper.

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
I am not against extended warranties. But on a new rig I do not feel they are necessary. If buying a used rig I would definitely check around and get at least major components exclusionary insurance.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

Crambo
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with everyone. I'm not a fan of extended warranties. I am pretty sure I will pass on it unless the boss says otherwise

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
Keep vehicles a LONG time. I've had extended warranties on my last two cars (97 VW Jetta and '03 Ford Escape.) Both have easily paid for themselves at least twice over.

OTOH I have an extended warranty on my current TT and even have an issue that would be covered. It's the micro switch that limits the slide travel when bringing it back in. Yes it's probably a $5 part but you have to literally tear the slide apart to get to it. I figured even if I took it into the dealer for repair I would be without the TT for about 3 months if I were lucky. So I just bypassed the switch and I'm careful retracting the slide. It's worked fine for about a year now. So far then this warranty is a waste.
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
X3 or X4 don't buy EW. Remind the dealer that you settled on the RV you are buying because it is known to be of such high quality that the chance of problems is remote.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I would NOT buy ANY extended warranty from a dealer.

What a lot of people don't know is you can buy warranties for RV's after the fact ANY time you want even when you are not the original owner such as a used RV.

I got a service warranty on my first used MH that was 5 years old. IMHO the yearly payment was very inexpensive and one major break down would prove to be a well invested payback.

Many different companies offering them.
Here is a link that helps describe the thumbnail differences between dealer offered ones and private companies.

http://www.goodsamesp.com/warranties.aspx

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF 'extended service contract' (warranties are by mfgs) is thrown in as part of negotiated deal..........OK fine

IF you have to purchase it..........PASS
Just like you should PASS on those 'treatments/coatings/specialized' UPSELLS
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't it come with a factory warranty. Most if not all appliances come with a warranty. The "protection coating" is a thick layer of BS spread by the dealer (actually usually the finance guy) to line his pockets with green.
I would hold off until the factory warranty expires.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
warrenties are written in the favor of the dealer small things you can fix, and anything that breaks IS NOT COVERED> and your rv already has clear coat on it.

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure of the financial details of the extended warranty such as cost and deductibles, but I have had many RVs and never had a major issue with any RV that I ever owned. I'd opt out of an extended warranty and put the money away for a rainy day (future repair).
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Our last RV had severe water damage and was totaled several years ago after an encounter with Tropical Storm Debbie. We bought the OR and had some leak issues and problems with the dealer and the manufacturer and to cap it off Open Range was sold and the new owner (corp) refused to honor any claims. We liked the model so we went for an RV Armor roof with a lifetime warranty. The dealer made one-third of the payment for various reasons and we paid two-thirds. That's the only extended warranty that works for me. Usually the extended warranty is added profit for the dealer with no benefit to us.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance