cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about propane tanks

jeromys
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys, I am baffled .. I have a jayco eagle with 2 7 gallon propane tanks. I have been filling both at the same time and the one on the left (also the one I use first) seems to get used up in just a few days then once I switch to the right tank, it lasts 4 times as long. It isn't possible that I am imagining this issue, I don't smell propane but the tanks are outside so I am at a loss. Can anyone help?
8 REPLIES 8

greende
Explorer
Explorer
I vote for a fill/emptying issue. If the OP had taht much of a leak, it would surely smell. I agree to weigh both tanks empty and full to see how much is used. My guess is that it's a plumbing issue internally in the tank.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd bet leak. But why guess? Go to a real propane shop. Not a gas station, but a propane distribution center. They'll test the tank for you. And fix it if possible. Cheap, easy, and no guessing.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
When you have your cylinders refilled (tanks are in MHs) do they both take at least 7 gallons?

When refilling your cylinders is the place that refills using a scale? (BEST Method ----most accurate)
By opening the 'bleeder' valve? (Second best.....liquid spews when cylinder is filled)
By waiting until OPD shut-off filling? (Least desirable method due reliance on a float)
By measured gallon? (Worst method cause it is not temp compensated)

Relief valve on cylinder could be weeping
OPD threads could be leaking
OPD bleeder valve could be leaking

Crimped connection on pigtail hose could be leaking

A little time/effort checking for leaks using soapy water could find the culprit
(Rinse soapy residue off thoroughly after checking)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Some P/P tanks will not fill all the way. you think they are full, they ain't.

try weighing them when full, and empty, because some will not deliver all gas in the tank.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem on my last camper. I tried switching positions of the tanks a few times just to rule out any leaks with any of the hardware in the camper.

When the same tank went faster, no matter which side it was on, I was pretty certain the problem was in the tank and not the regulator or trailer plumbing. I never smelled gas.

As a final test I left the questionable tank on over the winter. Tank was full. Other tank shut off. When spring rolled around, yup! Tank empty. I purchased a new tank.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are these fairly new tanks? Are they both being filled to 7 gallons? Then you probably have the selector valve set to both.
Set to left or right and switch after several days.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
check for leaks?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman