cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about stabilizing 40' trailer with cement clocks

samwalker
Explorer
Explorer
Have a new 40' destination trailer we are going to stabilize on cement blocks as piers behind and in front of axles plus the four corners. My question is how do I know the optimum amount of pressure to take off the axles when I build my piers with cement blocks? Is there a reliable way to figure out/and do that?

Many thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

samwalker
Explorer
Explorer
Good suggestions/thoughts. I was planning on 4"cap blocks on all four corners and in front of and behind the axles. This is a semi-permanent site.
Thanks for you replies.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Cement blocks aren't a bad idea, but more than likely you're going to have some settling over time. Would it be better if you make a base with 4" cap blocks then use threaded stabilizer jacks to put tension on the frame? This would allow you to easily adjust as things shift and move.

My old TT was 34' and always felt bouncy. I started putting a set of these jacks just in front of the axles and firmed things up quite a bit.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
I use wood between metal and block, and also between layers of block. Mine is not a permanent site.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

blangen
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure you know this but let's go ahead and say it anyway... don't use single stacks... use two per layer, alternating each course 90 degrees. Much more stable.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just finished doing the exact same thing to our new 40 footer.

What I did after I had the frame on the piers was to use a Camco stabilizer jack under each shakle of each wheel axel. that will keep the axels exactly in the same place and then just forget about the wheels. As the tires lose air pressure over time, they will have no affect on the rest of your system.
Once my warrantee is off the trailer, I will probably leave the slides out permanently and block them also

jack L
Jack & Nanci

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
samwalker the manufacturer might have a piling support plan for your model showing where to support it on the frame - for areas where these structures need to be anchored to the ground to meet code...

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
I will tell you this , use 4 inch cap blocks as your first course . Being solid they have less chance pushing into the ground