cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question for Four Wheel Camper owners and others w/no jacks

realter
Explorer
Explorer
In mostt pictures of Four Wheel Campers , there are no tie downs or external jacks. How do you like the internal tie downs, and do you ever remove your camper from the truck bed. If so, how?
34 REPLIES 34

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
bitster98 wrote:
Are you thinking about getting one of these ? Where are you going to be camping ? If it is anywhere that has a bear population you do not want a pop up. Get a hard side tc.

I already have one (Pop Up).Don't quite understand the bear comment. A bear will wail through a Filon side as easily as an upper tent side.

Best deterrent for a bear is a magnum caliber revolver like a 44 Smith or a 460 or 500, we have all those btw.

Actually, the best bear deterrent is good housekeeping, but, my revolver is always close at hand anyway.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

bitster98
Explorer
Explorer
Are you thinking about getting one of these ? Where are you going to be camping ? If it is anywhere that has a bear population you do not want a pop up. Get a hard side tc.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
458 Eur sounds expensive and I cannot understand a word....lol Looks to me like 2 interlocking steel plates (maybe stainless not sure) looks to be a pretty easy fab job.
2015 Backpack SS1500

joerg68
Nomad III
Nomad III
The german FWC distributor wohnkabinencenter.de offers a quick release solution which they call d-jackers. See: https://m.facebook.com/djackergermany/

Scroll down on the page for detail pictures and video.

I have not seen it in person and I am not affiliated with them.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

realter
Explorer
Explorer
rottidawg wrote:
I have owned two FWC over the past 34 years.

An advantage of FWC is that it fits in the garage, is pretty much unnoticeable while driving and is the same length as the truck. So no need to remove it

Do you have a standard 7' high garage door??

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
rottidawg wrote:
I have owned two FWC over the past 34 years. My first was a new 1983 Grandby mounted on a new 3/4 ton Chevy 4wd. The factory (then located here in Colorado) mounted the camper with four elevator bolts bolted through to the bed of the truck. I had a rubber bed in between and that system worked great for twenty-five years of a four drive exploring, never an issue. For the few times that I removed the camper I used rental camper cable jacks....a rather spooky experience.

I purchased a new FWC Hawk in 2012 with the interior eyebolt and turnbolt system. I also got the jacks....a big mistake. The dealer used them to install the camper, I removed them and they have been collecting dust the past five years. An advantage of FWC is that it fits in the garage, is pretty much unnoticeable while driving and is the same length as the truck. So no need to remove it (for bulky hauling I have a 4x8 utility/motorcycle trailer).

FWC builds a tough and well thought out off road style camper.
Not for everyone but perfect for me.

That don't work for me because I use my truck as a farm truck in the summer, hauling fuel and pulling a gooseneck trailer so the camper has to come off and on regularly.

I set my unit on a motorcycle trailer as well. It's a bit overweight for the trailer but it just goes in and out of the garage.

I could never get my truck in the garage with the camper on, not even yours. My 350 Ford is 6 over stock to begin with and it just barely cleats the top of the door all by itself. I have maybe 3" to play with.

I'd have no problems with a Grandby (Woolrich Edition or Silver Spur or an Alaskan cab over, but thats maybe in the future. Maybe.
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
realter wrote:
Since the Alaskan is mentioned here, do they have any problems with dirt and mud getting in their exposed outside tracks?

Good question. One that I cannot answer but from the looks of some of the grimy Alaskans in pictures, it must be a non issue.

The one thing I don't care for with an Alaskan is the lift system. It really intrudes in the living space, especially at the bunk end.

I guess one could consider the lift posts on the bunk end like a baby's crib rails...you cannot fall out of bed, the posts keep you from rolling out...
2015 Backpack SS1500

rottidawg
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned two FWC over the past 34 years. My first was a new 1983 Grandby mounted on a new 3/4 ton Chevy 4wd. The factory (then located here in Colorado) mounted the camper with four elevator bolts bolted through to the bed of the truck. I had a rubber bed in between and that system worked great for twenty-five years of a four drive exploring, never an issue. For the few times that I removed the camper I used rental camper cable jacks....a rather spooky experience.

I purchased a new FWC Hawk in 2012 with the interior eyebolt and turnbolt system. I also got the jacks....a big mistake. The dealer used them to install the camper, I removed them and they have been collecting dust the past five years. An advantage of FWC is that it fits in the garage, is pretty much unnoticeable while driving and is the same length as the truck. So no need to remove it (for bulky hauling I have a 4x8 utility/motorcycle trailer).

FWC builds a tough and well thought out off road style camper.
Not for everyone but perfect for me.

2012 Chevy 2500HD LTZ CCSB 4x4 gas
2012 Four Wheel Camper Hawk
2008 Harley Street Glide

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
we used to remove the jacks on our old sun lite.just 2 bolts per jack.the pop up was designed to go off road.jacks just got in the way of stumps,rocks and so on.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

realter
Explorer
Explorer
Since the Alaskan is mentioned here, do they have any problems with dirt and mud getting in their exposed outside tracks?

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Been considering changing my jacks over to quick detach as well. Some of the places I go, jack legs are an issue....and why I run HJ's. The TL tie downs, I'd surely catch on something.

I always have my spot mirrors trained on the bottom of the jacks when off road, watching to make sure I don't catch them on something. been close a few times.
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Because, like an Alaskan, it's a helluva truck camper, of course no slides and entertainment centers but like an Alaskan it's meant for off road camping not a campground. Camping at your favorite fishing spot or on a hunt...what it's all about.
2015 Backpack SS1500

realter
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
From a TCM article:

Tom explained that removing the jacks made the camper lighter, gave the rig more side-to-side and bottom clearance, and improved visibility.

So it looks like everyone just removes the jacks as part of the loading process.

It's interesting in this article, there are no "cons". That's unusual for TCMAGAZINE to not find something wrong in a review.

realter
Explorer
Explorer
That's the kind of utube video I like. Fast and to the point. I was wondering if he was going to get it into the garage, whew!! Must have made it. Glad no AC on top. Wondering why it's now for sale.

GpnAZ
Explorer
Explorer
I had a FWC Hawk for 12 years, I used turnbuckles to tie down the internal eyebolts. You worked through small access panels inside the camper but it was only about 5 minutes a turnbuckle. I had hydraulic corner jacks with wheels on them and they were double nutted with wing nuts so I could take them off and on in minutes. I kept my camper on a scaffold because I used my truck for work. I could just throw the jacks on and wheel the camper to my truck, tie it down with the turnbuckles and remove the jacks because some of the places I went back then would have tore a jack off or limit where I could take it.
2018' RAM 3500 Laramie CC, DRW, 4X4, Cummins w/ Aisin transmission
2019' Host Mammoth, 480 watts of solar
2017' Jeep JKU Rubicon
2011' Airstream Avenue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpnusa
www.flickr.com/photos/gpnaz
www.flickr.com/photos/his_cross