cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flipping axle mounts

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
so what is the going rate for raising the TT by putting the springs on top of the axle?

Guy that rewired my brakes told me he could do it for $400.00
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers
19 REPLIES 19

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
so what is the going rate for raising the TT by putting the springs on top of the axle?

Guy that rewired my brakes told me he could do it for $400.00

Sounds like a very fair price if he does good work.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Downwindtracker2 wrote:
Be aware, an axel flip will raise the center of gravity. More Sway.

The majority of TT/5ers have the axles under the springs. In theory you'd think they'd all sway if using that logic. Most sway problems are from either a poorly loaded unbalanced load, undersized tow vehicle or speed.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Downwindtracker2 wrote:

Anything that raises the rig raises the center of gravity. Moving the spring down a hole if available is a first step. Second step may be an axle alignment kit which gives 2 inch or so. next step is flipping axle. Next step is flipping axle AND building a sub frame. You could leave the sprigs on top and build an even thicker sub frame but it could be deep and even look odd. Keeping the springs under the axle is good if a person can get enough lift without making longer shackles.

I would be most cautious about adding shackle length when you consider the tremendous twisting forces. The longer the shackles, the more chance of breaking something.

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
Adventure before dementia

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
arkie guide wrote:
I do mine different - if i want to raise the height of my T.T. - I buy metal plate at 3/8 x 4 bx 8. bolt them to the existing spring hangers and bolt the spring to the new plate. Raise it 4 ;' are more with no problems.No it does not add swing are sag to the trailer.

I would like to see how you did that. Can you send a link to a picture? I cannot get photos on this page .Thx

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
thanx
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
LVJJJ wrote:
wet bolts?

Greaseable bolts that replace oem bolts. The plastic spring eye bushings are also replaced using bronze bushings. This example also includes the extra thick hanger brackets which make for a very rigid and tough upgrade.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
wet bolts?
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

srd1941
Explorer
Explorer
I did it to my 89 Nomad. Around $50.00 for the perches, removed the axle, took it to a friend who welded it for me then I reinstalled it. Major difference. Before the swap the dump valves were too low to dump at my home dump station.
Stan

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
arkie guide wrote:
I do mine different - if i want to raise the height of my T.T. - I buy metal plate at 3/8 x 4 bx 8. bolt them to the existing spring hangers and bolt the spring to the new plate. Raise it 4 ;' are more with no problems.No it does not add swing are sag to the trailer.
Keep a close eye on the spring hangers. They have been known to fatigue and break. On my previous TT, I pulled into camp and had trouble backing up. It was like I had no control over the TT.

I got out frustrated, and saw why. I had 3 broken spring hangers! They the back ones on both sides, and one center one. It towed OK going forward as everything stayed straight. Backing up and the axles were going every which way.
I had my brother and wife run home (about 140 miles) and bring back my welder, jacks and stands, while I started prepping for the field repair. I sure was glad to have generator. A couple of days, and I had it back together. I don't want to ever do the again.

I mention this because it sounds like your plates may put additional stress on the hangers.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

arkie_guide
Explorer
Explorer

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Wet bolts are $4 each and you need 4 for a single axle. Much cheaper to buy them separately than in a kit. I replaced my springs at the same time so didn't need bushings.

Did your new springs come with metal bushings or the usual cheap plastic ones?
I hope not. Plastic bushings and wet bolts do not play nice together.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Wet bolts are $4 each and you need 4 for a single axle. Much cheaper to buy them separately than in a kit. I replaced my springs at the same time so didn't need bushings.

Did your new springs come with metal bushings or the usual cheap plastic ones?

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
rjxj wrote:
$400 isn't bad especially if you are not set up with the right tools. While doing it adding wet bolts is a great idea. I wouldn't do it without welded perches. I also added ezflex but not as important as wet bolts.

Yep. I am not set up to raise the camper off the axles, and have it set there until the work is done. So. It is better to have a expert do it. At my age. I call the man more and more. The man can do things I can't.
Like Andy said. Call the man Aunt Bee, just call the man.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers