cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on ordering a TT (Grey Wolf 26BH)

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the St. Louis RV show got us! We found a TT that we like in the Grey Wolf 26BH. This will be our third TT so I do know a bit about them and this looked like a decent trailer for the money. My question is this: they are going to have to order this trailer for us and it should be in in 6-7 weeks. No problem since we're not going camping here in February! It seems, however, that they want us to pretty much pay for it up front before it gets here. We'll be putting a good chunk down and financing some of it also. Is this normal for ordering a TT? The first two we purchased were available on the lot and we were able to look them over closely before closing the deal. We have put a small down payment/deposit on it, but I'd like to wait till the unit is in before giving them more money or committing to a loan.

By the way, does anyone else have a Grey Wolf? And how have you liked it so far? I know it's not high end but it had everything we were looking for in one, plus a little more.

Thanks!
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT
10 REPLIES 10

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
Seymore wrote:
This was our 1st choice but we ended up with the Jayco 26bh because the dealer low balled me on my pop up that I was trading in. If you decide not to go with the Grey Wolf take a look at the Jayco 26bh. We have been very happy with it.

I'll keep that in mind. Our last TT was a Jayco and was very nice.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, the St. Louis RV show got us! We found a TT that we like in the Grey Wolf 26BH

What about the one at the show? Can you purchase it now? Otherwise the dealer wants some assurance that you are a serious buyer and will follow through with the deal. And you are concerned that the dealer will deliver a 'just right' product. $500 is all I would consider as a deposit and on a card it can be disputed. Many RV shows will put a sign on a unit that says "Sold". And the door is locked. You take home the unit you looked at and walked through.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Seymore
Explorer
Explorer
This was our 1st choice but we ended up with the Jayco 26bh because the dealer low balled me on my pop up that I was trading in. If you decide not to go with the Grey Wolf take a look at the Jayco 26bh. We have been very happy with it.
TV 2014 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
Trailer 2014 Rockwood Roo 21SS Equalizer Hitch

APT
Explorer
Explorer
$500-1000 deposit should be all. Refundable is up to you to negotiate. No more money until after you approve of the PDI, Pre-Deliver Inspection. Search for plenty of info on PDI.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice. I am also checking with my bank and may get my own financing. We put a $500 deposit down via a credit card so if everything goes real bad, I guess I could dispute the charges with the credit card company. I'm pretty much decided that I'm not going to give them more money or sign finance papers until the unit is in and we can inspect it. Maybe I'm just cynical anymore.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
The deposit was non-refundable, but was transferrable to another unit if we were unhappy with our choice. That seemed reasonable. I would do some serious online searches to compare prices...sometimes the show prices aren't really as tremendous as they say. Before you go further, suggest you contact the BBB, just in case.

The dealer handled our financing and got us a very good rate, and yes, they do get some sort of commission from the lender. On our HTT, I called my credit union who had handled both our cars at competitive rates, but they didn't have much to offer on an RV....wanted a large down, loan was higher interest for a much shorter time. Made payments way to steep. With the TT, we just gave them the info and let them do their job and everything went smooth as could be.

I would check with your own bank, some others in your area and if you're in a credit union, try them. This idea of paying most of the price gives me one of those gut feelings that something is not right. Meanwhile, get online and see how things compare. Sometimes it's worth a drive to save some $ and have peace of mind.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
With the dealer I did business with, absolutely yes. I could have gotten the deposit back if I was unsatisfied.

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. We just did some preliminary paperwork at the show location, loan ap, etc. They're going to call later this week with the loan info. I may also get my own financing depending on rates and such. I'll have to discuss more with them when they call. Did you feel that you could get your deposit back if you weren't satisfied with the unit when it came in?

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Before you put any money down on this trailer, have a look at this video:

Ultimate Leaky Trailer

And no, a deposit should be all that's required to order a trailer. I'd never pay in full or even close to full until the trailer was at the dealers and I'd had a chance to walk though it, etc.

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
A deposit, yes....pay most of it, not on your life. We paid a $1000 deposit when we ordered our HTT and also the TT this spring. I would be concerned about the solvency of this dealer. A great trailer, but I would find another dealer.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!