Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Questions and Opinions on Rigs

texaspiper
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings All,

I am a TC newbie in search of some advice and opinions regarding some tow rigs I am considering. I am looking at both the Ram 3500 DRW and the F-350 DRW and I would appreciate feedback from owners of these vehicles who ideally have the same setup I am looking at. I have been looking at the Arctic Fox 1150 and intend to purchase this as my camper. I will also be using the truck to tow a small 20โ€™ fish and ski boat and my Jeep on a trailer (obviously not at the same time). I intend to sometimes tow the Jeep or boat with the TC loaded as well. I intend to use the truck as my daily driver.

I have been considering ordering my truck from the dealer with the exact options I want but since I am new to this I do not know how much value these options hold for my intended use of the truck.

For the Ram 3500, there is an available factory air suspension. It is more expensive than available air bag systems out there. But since it is a factory item it would be covered by warranty. Thoughts on this?

Both trucks can be optioned with dual alternators. How much use are these for the TC? Can you use them to charge batteries or say run the fridge or AC while running down the road?

Factory Upfitter modules. Any use? Extra Factory auxiliary switches. Any use?

Axle ratios? Can I get by with a 3.73 or is a 4.10 more realistic for the AF1150 with a trailer behind?

I have seen a couple crazy good deals on some Ram 3500s at my local dealer. I have never seen one though that has the above options. Bottom line, is it worth ordering it for these options?

Again, I would appreciate some honest feedback on both these trucks. What you like, what you hate etc.

Thank you in advance,

TexasPiper
19 REPLIES 19

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If you understand the bulk, absorption and float battery charging phases, you wonโ€™t get dual alternators. Get solar instead.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
For a truck camper, safe bet is stay with leaf springs.
Any new dually diesel, regardless of brand or how it's equipped will do what you intend to do with it easily.
If you get crazy with charging system, dual alts would be a good adder. Upfitter switches are just handy, nothing to to with TC's though.
Otherwise find the best deal in the color you like. Good luck truck shopping!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 Ram 3500 DRW with the factory air bags, Laramie package with 4:10 gears.

If I were to do it over I would go with the std leaf spring suspension. The air bags cause more sway. Adding a sway bar helped. If you go with the std leaf springs you can always add the airbags later if you feel the need but with the beefier spring pack they would be needed less and carry a smaller percent of the load. Our 2004 Ram dually had less sway with the same camper despite a lower GVWR.

We used to own an Arctic Fox 1150 and did a trip from central CA to Alaska for a few months. Other than the factory airbags we love our Ram. I'm sure others are just as happy with their Ford. Unfortunately the slide on our AF1150 broke again on that trip and we decided to try a different brand for our current camper.

Dual alternators isn't something I optioned. What would you be adding that would require dual? No uplifts either. I think the call on alternators depends on what you plan on using the trucks charging system for. If it's just to maintain the truck battery and provide power through the 7 pin plug a single alternator should be fine.

If all you are hauling is the camper 3:73 would be fine. If you are going to be towing decent weight as you describe the 4:10 will give you a little better towing power, but 3:73 would still work.

I would test drive both trucks. We are on our 3rd Ram Cummins TD and have been very happy with all three, especially our new truck with the exhaust brake and gobs of power from the Diesel engine. It really flattens out the mountains even at 21k gross or so.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not a Ram owner here, but have owned GMC with 3:73 and 4:10 - when I bought my new truck 3:73 was not available, altho I looked. So, bought the 4:10 ... Hands down, the 4:10 for hauling. Next truck, I won't even look for a 3:73.

With newer technology too, the 2015 w/4:10 gets better mpg than my 2003 did w/3:73 hauling as well. I had the 6.0L gasser in both.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
When you will find parallel topic about campers, as long time Ford truck owner I point that the design and capacities changed a lot with 2017 model.
Not only 440 HP diesel engine will pull the house with lowest differential ratio, but aluminium bed increase payload, while suspension is stiffer.
I carry 5000 lb camper on my F350 dually with no mods.
that wouldn't be the case with older F350