Did you mean: 

Questions/Opinions on Generators

laidback
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at 2800/3000 watt generator/inverter......Yamaha, Honda, Champion
Price is a concern.
Honda $2300, Yamaha $1400, champion $900

I don't mind spending $1400 on the yamaha if the quality is actually worth the $500 price difference over the champion
The Honda seems too high, but can it really be that much better?

I would love to hear what you guys think about this.

The new trailer is coming this week!!:B
16 REPLIES 16

facory
Explorer
Explorer
I own a Yamaha 2000 watt i.e. generator and love it for what I need. It's decibel rating is 1 below Honda. Both are excellent and comparable. The 3000 watt should be very quiet. I would buy either one. I don't know anything about Champion. $1400 for a 3000 watt is an excellent price.
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Just my 0.02: I went with the Yamaha model I have, and I am glad I did. Its initial cost was expensive, but it just hurt once. So far, that generator has seen some extreme use (used to power air compressors and other tools for construction), and still starts up on the first pull or a second when the key is turned.

This is anecdotal, and I'm sure the Champion model will be just as good, but I've been quite happy with my 3000iSE model.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Just got the following "Deal of the Day" ad from Home Depot:

SPECIAL BUY NO. 1 OF 4
Up to 40% off Select Generators
Smarter Tools 3,500-Watt Gasoline Powered Portable Generator
Internet# 203064219
$199
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

prfssr
Explorer
Explorer
We use 2 EU2000 Honda generators that connect to each other for a total of 4000 watts of power. The good thing is without the AC running we only have to run one at a time, so it saves on gas usage. They are 46 pounds each plus gas (minimal weight). We have had one for about 6 years and the 2nd one for 4 years. Keep the oil changed, the filter clean and have only had to change the spark plug once. Which ever one you purchase keep the unit on a board so it doesn't suck in dirt / grass from underneath it. The Hondas can be purchased for about $900 each with the 30amp adaptor / buddy unit for about $250. Well worth it in my mind.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camping World has the 3K Champion inverter genny on sale and reviews are favorable. This unit has similar specs and DB levels as the Honda Handi at less than 1/2 the cost. We drycamp and boondock often and being able to quickly replenish our battery bank (via onboard Iota) and power high amperage items with a flick of a switch guarantees camping success. Get at least a couple of quality batteries and an PS inverter to power your tvs, dvd, satellite, using the generator for powering the big stuff and quick recharging. Enjoy your new rig!!!

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you pricing a 2800 Yamaha at $1400? That is a great deal and I would jump on it.

Otherwise, I agree go with 2 x 2000. I have the Yamaha set up that way, mainly for my houseboat. The only reason I went with Yamaha was because I found a brand new used one that I got a great deal on. Bought the second one and parallel kit a couple years later.

Advantage on the Yamaha is that it has a fuel shut off so you can run the carb dry. Advantage of the Honda is that you can get an extended run kit.

Maybe I haven't seen the Champion that you are talking about, but I have never seen one that I would call a quiet generator.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
laidback wrote:
The new trailer is coming this week!!:B

Pace yourself on needing a generator for the air conditioner for that new trailer. You can still get out and camp a few times and evaluate what you need.

You might find with electric sites, moderate temperatures, generator restrictions you may not need the generator as often as you think.

Of course if you ride dirt bikes in the open desert all summer then get at least 3000w.

dlk
Explorer
Explorer
I have a yamaha 2000 watt suit case type, quiet and good on fuel, has the eco throttle, but not enough to run the a/c so I went to TSC and bought a 3500/3000 watt champion on special, for under $450, runs the a/c and is fairly quiet, but not as quiet as the yamaha. The champion doesn't have the eco type throttle so it runs more fuel and is heavier to move around, I thought for the price (1/3rd of the yamaha) it was a bargain for the amount of times I have needed it.
Dan & Pam UP of Michigan
F 350 Fx4 Keystone Sprinter

rgolding
Explorer
Explorer
"I'd go with a pair of 2000 Watt units vs. a 3000"

I was given this advice and glad I took it. The pair of Honda 2000's work great together and the only time I need both to run at the same time, is when running the AC. Light enough to easily carry and lift, very durable, and I make sure they are run at least every month, so no winterization. I always use SeaFoam to stabilize the fuel. They are now 4 years old and we've even rigged them as an auxiliary power source for our house furnace, but have never had to use them. Good equipment pays for itself.
Smooth Sailing,
Ric and Jan
Southern Illinois

2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS "Low Key"

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
eluwak wrote:
mbutts wrote:
I own a Honda, but I've heard the Yamahas are similar in quality & quietness. If I did it again, I'd go with a pair of 2000 Watt units vs. a 3000. It's just too darn heavy for me to move (a bit over 130 lbs. dry).

x2

We have a 10 year old Honda e3000is that weighs 147 lbs dry... It's super nice and quiet, but really requires two people or a cart to move around. Works on the first pull, and if the battery wasn't toast it would electric start too. They have a new 3000 that is half the weight and has wheels now.

Doing 2 2000s seems to be a popular choice for good reasons though. It would be nice to have something I could store on a shelf, and move around easily by myself. We only use it for weather related disasters since we always camp FHU right now.

Another vote for the two Honda 2000 watts that enable paralleling, I had that setup and loved it. Now that I have an on board generator I use the one 2000 almost all the time unless I need more power. My son got the other 2000 at a huge discount. 🙂
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

laidback
Explorer
Explorer
JayGee wrote:
How much power do you need? That Honda price is probably for a 3000 watt, the Yamaha for a 2400, and the 3100 watt Champion inverter? To bring them all to the 3000 watt range the Yamaha price goes about $2000 +/-. So, the Champion is a much better deal RE price per watt but it is a little louder than the others according to their spec sheets.

I know that the Honda is a VERY quiet machine that my NASCAR neighbors run 24/7 with no bother to anyone. I think the Yamaha is about as quiet. I have never been around the running Champion so I have no input there.

The Honda and Yamaha have a rep for being very reliable and the Champion has not been around very long that I am aware of. They may be great, just not proven to my limited knowledge.

I have a Honda 2000 and have had it for a long time with no problem. But if I were buying today and the noise was not too much a factor I would strongly consider the Champion. But I would want to hear one before I spent the money. I hate loud generators.

I need to be able to run AC.

Anybody out there using the champion?

eluwak
Explorer
Explorer
mbutts wrote:
I own a Honda, but I've heard the Yamahas are similar in quality & quietness. If I did it again, I'd go with a pair of 2000 Watt units vs. a 3000. It's just too darn heavy for me to move (a bit over 130 lbs. dry).

x2

We have a 10 year old Honda e3000is that weighs 147 lbs dry... It's super nice and quiet, but really requires two people or a cart to move around. Works on the first pull, and if the battery wasn't toast it would electric start too. They have a new 3000 that is half the weight and has wheels now.

Doing 2 2000s seems to be a popular choice for good reasons though. It would be nice to have something I could store on a shelf, and move around easily by myself. We only use it for weather related disasters since we always camp FHU right now.
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 CC LB 6.0L
1998 Chevy C2500 Suburban 454 3.73 (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 EB CC 4x4 w/Max Tow (Sold) 😞
2013 North Trail 28BRS

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
How much power do you need? That Honda price is probably for a 3000 watt, the Yamaha for a 2400, and the 3100 watt Champion inverter? To bring them all to the 3000 watt range the Yamaha price goes about $2000 +/-. So, the Champion is a much better deal RE price per watt but it is a little louder than the others according to their spec sheets.

I know that the Honda is a VERY quiet machine that my NASCAR neighbors run 24/7 with no bother to anyone. I think the Yamaha is about as quiet. I have never been around the running Champion so I have no input there.

The Honda and Yamaha have a rep for being very reliable and the Champion has not been around very long that I am aware of. They may be great, just not proven to my limited knowledge.

I have a Honda 2000 and have had it for a long time with no problem. But if I were buying today and the noise was not too much a factor I would strongly consider the Champion. But I would want to hear one before I spent the money. I hate loud generators.
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis