cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick one : 30A on 20A circuit, which restrictions?

vlopddap
Explorer
Explorer
I need a quick advice!! :B

I don't know if subject is clear enough, but I'm going on a camping trip this weekend in a state park and the only campsite available have 20A power hookups. My small 16 feet trailer have a 30A power connection (like most travel trailer). I have the 30A to 20A gender changer as well, but I'm wondering what I can and can't run on a 20A circuit.

First of all, my small TT is a basic trailer so I don't have AC water heater. I have an air conditioning but it's a small household windows/wall mount 5000 BTU A/C. I have a microwave and a small 2.7 cu fridge. Otherwise only the 120V-12V converter run on 120V.

Weather forecast predict a humid and hot weekend, so I'm wondering if I can run my small A/C during the night on a 20A hookups? I know the 2.7 cu fridge only draw 1.5 amps on 120V. I also checked on the Frigidaire brand website (my A/C is Frigidaire brand) and based on technical specs the A/C only draw 4.8 amps in cooling mode.

I ran the A/C yesterday at home (I have a 20A circuit too) for a few minutes without any problem. For sure I'll run A/C only and no other appliances (like microwave or other)...

Just want your advices.
2016 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Plus
2011 KZ Sportsmen Classic 16BH
7 REPLIES 7

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
your multi-function surge protector will protect it if the voltage drops too much.
bumpy

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sandia Man wrote:
Wouldn't hurt to check voltage drop at campsite with AC running ..
Definitely do this.

You're probably going to a pretty old CG with out-dated and substandard wiring. If all the other rigs are trying to run air, you could have some serious voltage problems.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
rbtglove wrote:
We've used 20 amp service many times and even run 13.5 K A/C on it. Can't use micro and A/C at the same time, however. you should be good to go.

X2, go camping.

X3, I have a dedicated 20A circuit in the garage that runs our 13.5K AC in the driveway.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
You may need to switch off the A/C for the few minutes you run the microwave, but see otherwise don't anticipate a problem.
Currently Between RVs

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
rbtglove wrote:
We've used 20 amp service many times and even run 13.5 K A/C on it. Can't use micro and A/C at the same time, however. you should be good to go.

X2, go camping.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should be good to go as the small window AC units easily run off of a 15 amp household circuit. Wouldn't hurt to check voltage drop at campsite with AC running if you have a meter although I suspect it won't drop too low anyway. Have a great time!!!