cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Auxillary" Fuel tank vs installing a new/larger tank

jeffjcalweb
Explorer
Explorer
Hello - I have a 2017 Ram 2500 w/Cummins with the 6'4 bed, and just purchased our first fifth wheel.

I'd like to add fuel capacity for towing and have seen a few threads here with some discussion about transfer cases etc.

I live in CA and first couple places I have called asking about "gravity fed transfer case" said it was "frowned upon in CA - like most emission, tuning, etc for diesels".

So I can put install a 50g auxiliary tank (transferflow TRAX 3) that comes with a nice LCD display and controls with automatic fuel transfer but installed runs close to $2500.

I've also looked at replacing the OEM tank and looks like 52g is about the biggest thing available. That installed is also around $2k.

I don't mind spending the money, I am hesitant to put in the auxiliary tank because of the space it will take up. The truck has a B&W turnover gooseneck bed setup which I plan to use with an Anderson hitch.

I'm also hoping maybe there's something (besides just a few 5g portable cans) that might allow me to not have the tank in the bed when we don't need it (which will certainly be 90% of the time).

Is there another option? And is anyone in CA that has had a gravity fed tank installed (about half the price of the TRAX 3 system)?

Thank you, sorry for the long question.
31 REPLIES 31

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW, a small 35 gallon auxiliary tank probably takes as much space as 4 or 5, 5 gallon gas cans. Not as easily removable, but there are always tradeoffs. How much stuff do you actually haul in your bed usually? Probably not too much or you'd have gotten the full size bed.

I paid less than $400 for my 35 gallon tank and pump. It's less than a foot deep, and it sits even with the bed rails. Works a treat for me. And I got it for a more stress free travel. I no longer worry about getting into and out of gas stations with the trailer in tow. I stop when I want to, not when the truck's fuel tank dictates it. Much nicer to take a break in a rest stop, or city park rather than a noisy, dirty, crowded truck stop/fuel station.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
50 gallons is about = to 500 pounds I use four 5 gallon plastic gas cans for emergency when gas stations are not in in range like my trip on the "Haul Road" in AK. 20 Gallons give me 200 miles of towing.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos