cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"EASY" Cummins 6.7 2013+ oil change!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
After reading about all the horror stories about how hard and messy changing the oil on a 13 and newer 6.7 Cummins was I used all the info I gleaned from everyone and changed oil today for the first time at 2,900 miles on my 15 RAM Dually. Last night I looked over the conditions and came up with a game plan.

First I placed a milk bucket under the drain pan and used a 1/2" ratchet with a 1/2 to 3/8 reducer. Makes it easy to break loose the drain plug. I wore a glove on my left hand and spun the drain plug loose and removed it allowing the oil to drain into the bucket. NO MESS AT ALL!

This is the trick! Remove the bolt in the pic with a 10MM socket.

I sprayed AMZ/OIL MP to help loosen the hose then I slid back the clamp and easily slid off the hose.

Then I loosened the intake tube at each end with a 5/16 socket and removed the tube. Now the oil filter is easily accessible.

I removed the filter with a large jaw type filter wrench. Yes the Cummins "GORILLA" was working that day the engine was assembled!

I reached thru the fender and slipped the freezer bag over the filter, from above I spun off the filter and lifted it up with out spilling a drop.

Then I filled the filter installed from above and re installed the air intake.

Pic of tools used.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD
68 REPLIES 68

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
estesbubba wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
You know that there are some people on here that will argue that it is easier to change a tire on their tow vehicle because there is a better design on the (insert brand here) lugs.

You will never convince the troller that anything, especially RAM is on par with a beloved Blue Oval, so why try?

Exactly. I recently went to a diesel clinic at my dealer that has a top 3 Ram dealer in the nation, a #1 Ford truck dealer in the nation, plus a Chevy dealer. After the presentation and questions we all went into the shop and they had diesels from each where people could ask questions. Looking at them all side-by-side:

- The Ram had the most room to work under the hood
- The Chevy was a little more crowed
- The Ford was a freakin' cluster-f...

Of course someone on here has a cousin who's ex-wife's ex-husband knows a guy who works on diesels and said that Ford has the most room.

Ford DOES have the most room!! Once you remove the cab!

BAM!!!!!!!

I sorta illuded to that earlier.

BAM!!!!!!! Did I post the wrong brand. :B

Nothing like a photo shopped pic.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
estesbubba wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
You know that there are some people on here that will argue that it is easier to change a tire on their tow vehicle because there is a better design on the (insert brand here) lugs.

You will never convince the troller that anything, especially RAM is on par with a beloved Blue Oval, so why try?

Exactly. I recently went to a diesel clinic at my dealer that has a top 3 Ram dealer in the nation, a #1 Ford truck dealer in the nation, plus a Chevy dealer. After the presentation and questions we all went into the shop and they had diesels from each where people could ask questions. Looking at them all side-by-side:

Of course someone on here has a cousin who's ex-wife's ex-husband knows a guy who works on diesels and said that Ford has the most room.

BAM!!!!!!!

And over the lifetime of changing filters on a Ram you will probably spend as much time as removing the cab on a ford :B

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
estesbubba wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:

BAM!!!!!!!

BAM!!!!!!! Did I post the wrong brand. :B

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was think about the process and the first thing to do is to loosen the two big hose clamps, "THEN" remove the 10MM bolt "THEN" slide back the spring clamp pull the steel pipe out of the hose, "THEN" pull the intake tube loose at each end lowering it down then the steel pipe will drop down and slide out past the hose in front of the pipe and pull assembly out.

Easy Cheesy!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
estesbubba wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:

BAM!!!!!!!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
estesbubba wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:

HAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
estesbubba wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

estesbubba
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:

--Bubba

2008 Keystone Cougar 291RLS 5er
2015 Ram 3500 SRW Crew Cab with 6.7L Cummins

Our Website

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
I had a 1994 Ford Ranger and when I didn't do the oil change Oil Can Henrys did. !98,000 latter and no issues. I never once changed the oil on our 03 Accord. 130,000 and no issues. I have been doing oil changes on my 12 Ram CTD up until the last few. If something happens to it that's what the warranty's for. As bad as everyone makes all dealers sound, some are decent. My 12 is known for oil dilution because of regens. So you end up with more fluid in the oil pan after x amount of miles. It calls for 12qts of oil. The common sense thing to do is put 11qts in so after 3-4-5000 miles you don't have an overfull oil pan because of dilution. The dealer I take mine to only puts 11qts in. Works for me.

He puts 11 quarts in because he pulls the drain plug and as soon as the flow stops the plug goes back in and only 11 quarts are needed. I let my 11 drain overnight and would add 11 5/8 quarts and it would be on the full mark. The pan/plug design does not allow for complete drainage.

Lots of people think they are making oil with fuel dilution but the fact is they are just overfull because 12 quarts have been added.

As said changed mine three times now. I allow it to drain until an occasional drip , thats until I have changed the pita oil filter. I fill the oil filter to about three quarters full, and install. I then add the remaining gallon, and another two gallons. Total of three gallons ,12 quarts. That puts it right on the full mark, no overfill whatsoever. Three times same way ,same results.

I'm going to allow it to drain overnight on the next oil change, I will drain until the occasional drip, and then put a different container under it ,and just see what amount actually drains overnight . Its hard to imagine it drips out another 5/8 of a quart . This is not something I would do again regardless of what drains out overnight, doing that is beyond anal , but going to do it out of curiosity . I have been changing oil in my cars ,and truck for nearly 50 years, and not once have I had the drain plug out of a vehicle for more then an hour. Thousands of oil changes done daily, and the common method is allowed to drain until the filter is changed.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
This is turning into another example of how forums like this are by far the exception to what happens in mainstream America.

I would be willing to venture a guess that less than 10% of people change their own oil in their cars. And it is probably MUCH less than that. I am not sure I personally know anyone who changes their own oil. And unless I go on a Fish story, where a friend of an aquainatance of a neighbors dogsitters cousin, I have never heard of a true problem caused by an incompetent tech. I know they are out there, but they are far from rampant.

I have 4 vehicles plus a couple of boats in my "personal fleet" of vehicles. I change the oil in my fishing boat, but nothing else. The worst thing that has happend in having someone else change the oil is Grease Monkey didn't correctly reattach the air dam on my wife's 300 one time. Quick trip back to them, and it was fixed.

That is 25 plus years of driving, who knows how many cars.

More power to those that have the time and inclination to do their own oil changes. But having someone do the service for you is far from the riskiest thing you will do in the day.

My Daughter worked art Walmart changing tires and oil. She is a smart gal but the stories she told me about the Monkeys she worked with were amazing. I personally know someone that had their oil pan replaced by Walmart because they stripped the plug.

I like to know my vehicles inside and out. Get underneath it and look it over once in a while like when changing oil.

I agree 100%!

As a kid I worked on my own vehicles to save money, now I work on them as therapy! ๐Ÿ™‚

I agree too. I actually enjoy changing the oil on our vehicles.

Note: Vehicles that require standard methods to perform an oil change that is.

Dude this is getting old! Do we need to start discussing what needs to be done to some trucks to have the engine worked on?

I proved it is not a big deal to do a oil change on a 13 and newer RAM using the method I described. It is something that can be done while the oil is draining or are you one that drops the oil then without it finishing draining the plug goes in and then the oil?

I guess I should do a YouTube video of how quick and easy it is to R&R the air intake.

But instead I will leave it to the RAM owners that do appreciate info that makes the oil change a easy task now.

Two hose clamps one bolt and a spring clamp, gee I should sell my POS before I have a breakdown worrying about my next oil change.

Ron, come on its not that easy of a task, no its not overly hard, but quit minimizing it, having to lean under that hood to make a simple filter change is not all that fun. It is what it is.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
up2nogood wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Excuse me while I let you fan boys pass the Kool-Aid around! :W

Well Fish I am happy for you that you have a truck that the oil filter is easier to change and has nice mirrors.

But for me the extra 10 minutes it may take to change my oil is a minor inconvenience and I think I proved with my post it's really not a big deal to change the oil on a 13-15 RAM.

I think you are being kind here with the ten minute extra. I have to disagree, I've changed the oil three times now on my 2014 Ram, and although I'm getting better at it, and yes I have done it the way you showed, thats nothing new when changing the oil on these new Rams. At best its still a pita .

So you removed the steel pipe at the top? It is easily a 10 minute job the way I did it.

"Nothing new" ?

Please show me where anyone has posted the way I did it. Everyone removes the hose down low and fight getting it re connected. Or they go thru the fender well and there is no way that is a easy job.

All you have done is add one more step to the process by taking out the bolt, and removing the steel pipe instead of just pulling the bottom rubber hose off the steel pipe at the U-turn. Instead you are pulling the steel pipe off the upper rubber hose same process having to loosen the squeeze clamp to pull the steel pipe loose to get the entire assembly out.

The squeeze clamp at the U-turn is the big issue its awkward to get at it with pliers to release, and I only did it once. I removed that style of clamp and replaced with one that that you can tighten with a socket or screwdriver. Takes less then a minute to loosen the clamp pull the hose off the steel pipe at the U-turn. I see no hassle at all with that process once the clamp was replaced. The rubber hose is flexible enough it just slips right back over the steel pipe. I see no need to add removing the bolt ,and still have to get the upper rubber hose off. To each his own.

The fact remains its a pita compared to any other vehicle I have owned when it comes to changing the oil, and filter. One example is the 7.3 ford my previous truck, filter wrench , wrench for drain plug, get under the truck remove the filter ,remove the drain plug at the same time. If you wanted to ,and had the new filter under there with oil in it , you never have to get out from under the truck until the filter was replaced ,and the drain plug back in, thats considering you are not anal enough to think you have to have the last ten drops of oil out of the engine.

There is no way I would trust someone to change the oil in this Ram truck of mine, just to much involved , unless I stood right over them ,and made sure they did it right.

To answer your question ,no I don't do it your way, I see no need to add more step to the already too many steps to just change the oil ,and filter.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
Thanks very much for posting; I really appreciate the information. I guess I got blindfolded into removing that lower clamp by reading on the issue and didn't look at the big picture. I just looked at my truck and it does indeed have the same configuration so I'll try that next time. It looks like there is some sort of orange sealant in that hose; did you have any trouble getting that apart?

I do agree with others, though that this is still a PITA procedure compared to others. My 6.0L Ford was much easier to service. I think though with some time the Ram will get easier; I'm definitely not getting rid of it over this! I still love it more every time I drive it.

On another note, have you posted some details/photos of your new Mobile Suites yet or did I miss it? :B

I just sprayed the hose metal tube connection with a shot of AMZ/OIL MP and the hose slid off easily.

Please report back after trying it this way.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks very much for posting; I really appreciate the information. I guess I got blindfolded into removing that lower clamp by reading on the issue and didn't look at the big picture. I just looked at my truck and it does indeed have the same configuration so I'll try that next time. It looks like there is some sort of orange sealant in that hose; did you have any trouble getting that apart?

I do agree with others, though that this is still a PITA procedure compared to others. My 6.0L Ford was much easier to service. I think though with some time the Ram will get easier; I'm definitely not getting rid of it over this! I still love it more every time I drive it.

On another note, have you posted some details/photos of your new Mobile Suites yet or did I miss it? :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes