cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram 3500 Air Suspension - How Does It Work?

smooth1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. Can you guys tell me how this system is controlled via the driver. Are there settings, adjustments, ride height info, etc.

Thinking about this system on a 2015 3500 Ram long bed SRW for a 3500lb non-slide truck camper. Just concerned about the lack of leaf springs and side to side sway. I also can't find any good info on how this system is controlled.
27 REPLIES 27

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
transferred wrote:
I went with a '15 3500 RCLB with the standard springs. I prefer the Ram Air Assist system to get some more miles under it before I trust it, though it's awesome Dodge offer it. Re ride quality, I couldn't notice a difference but then I'm used to heavier machinery which rides like a cart horse.

Your a wise man! :W
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
I went with a '15 3500 RCLB with the standard springs. I prefer the Ram Air Assist system to get some more miles under it before I trust it, though it's awesome Dodge offer it. Re ride quality, I couldn't notice a difference but then I'm used to heavier machinery which rides like a cart horse.
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Beta rider wrote:
For me it wasn't about level, it was about ride comfort. There are still some pretty heavy springs there if you did blow an air bag. Also the spring arrangement is different on the air ride. I just know this setup sure works for me! No regrets.

Many reasons for me wanting the rear air. But the fact is it won't leave you stranded along the side of the road if a bag or line burst.

No you can't do a decent air system for under $500. My rear air option was about $1,300.

I know what it's like to tow with a regular rear sprung RAM Dually truck and the ride can be jarring on some of our wonderful highways. I added PacBrake bags and Bilstein's to my 11 Dually (not $500). Amazing improvement.

With my 15 and the rear air ride I just hook up and go nothing to change alter or modify.

Truck rides great empty or loaded.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Beta_rider
Explorer
Explorer
For me it wasn't about level, it was about ride comfort. There are still some pretty heavy springs there if you did blow an air bag. Also the spring arrangement is different on the air ride. I just know this setup sure works for me! No regrets.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at the air system but decided to stay away from it...never thought the ride was bad with the stock springs but I was afraid of having a bag blow out while loaded and just felt I didn't need or want the hassle. I figured if I need to keep it level when loaded I'll buy a firestone air bag kit and install it for less than 1/4 of the cost of the factory system, then if one fails I'm not losing any capacity and can replace it on my time frame.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Beta_rider
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I'll tell the dealer. I think the Laramie and Longhorn Laramie have different headlights than the SLT Bighorn like I have.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Beta rider wrote:
Thanks. Hard to tell, but mine looks about the same. How are your headlights? I see you have a Laramie. I have a big horn, so I guess you have brighter lights, but how are they aimed? If they use the same aiming procedure for the leaf spring models and the air ride models, I can see where it might be a problem.

No problems with headlights at all, loaded or unloaded. Not that it matters much but it's a LongHorn. No idea if the headlights are different between the Laramie Longhorn and the regular Laramie.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Beta_rider
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Hard to tell, but mine looks about the same. How are your headlights? I see you have a Laramie. I have a big horn, so I guess you have brighter lights, but how are they aimed? If they use the same aiming procedure for the leaf spring models and the air ride models, I can see where it might be a problem.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Beta rider wrote:
Cummins 12v98, I agree with you on the 40 psi in the rear unloaded! I'm curious about the stance on your air ride. Mine sits flat, maybe even a little low in back when empty in normal ride height. With the slide in truck camper it sits just a little lower. Just enough so the head lights are a little high. It seems to me there must be some adjustment or setting for this. Dealers don't seem to know anything about it and the customer service people were completely ignorant on the subject. I have a dealer waiting for answers from the Star people now. If there is no adjustment I will have to have the headlights adjusted down. I still think the ride with the tall weight of the TC is amazing. Campers are a different animal then towing a trailer.

I would consider mine "level" in this pic with 5K+ load. Another pic is without load but with alt ride height still on. Shows how the ride height is maintained no matter the load up to rear axle rating.

I have no issues with headlights with load on.

Beta_rider
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins 12v98, I agree with you on the 40 psi in the rear unloaded! I'm curious about the stance on your air ride. Mine sits flat, maybe even a little low in back when empty in normal ride height. With the slide in truck camper it sits just a little lower. Just enough so the head lights are a little high. It seems to me there must be some adjustment or setting for this. Dealers don't seem to know anything about it and the customer service people were completely ignorant on the subject. I have a dealer waiting for answers from the Star people now. If there is no adjustment I will have to have the headlights adjusted down. I still think the ride with the tall weight of the TC is amazing. Campers are a different animal then towing a trailer.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
taken wrote:
Beta rider wrote:
I have a 2015 Ram 3500 drw with factory air ride and a Lance truck camper that weighs about 5200lbs when loaded. I've driven it over 3,000 miles so far and am very happy with the suspension. The ride loaded is extremely comfortable. The ride empty is better than the 2015 with just leaf springs. I think the ride empty is better than my 2008 1500 with leaf in the rear. The air ride handles the camper very well in turns and amazing at highway speeds of 65 to 70 and faster. The ride is quiet and composed and has little wind noise even with the camper on it! I will not be changing shocks or any other suspension component. It would be nice to have more control over the ride height when parked for loading, etc. I have had neck and back injuries in the past that make me very sensitive to a harsh ride. This combination is completely comfortable for me and I would buy it all over again for sure.

Thanks for the full review! I had read a couple guys on the Ram forums weren't impressed with the unloaded ride improvement. Glad to hear there are other opinions. Guess when the time comes, I'll have to try it for myself....

Be sure when comparing unloaded rides BOTH trucks have 40psi in the rear duals for a fair comparison. For those that think 40 is not enough for an unloaded pressure just check the inflation charts.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
taken wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
No Idea how well it works with a slide in camper.

Here is a pic with over 5K sitting on the rear axle. It will look the same with 6.

Nice! So, is what I've read on the Ram forums true and the truck doesn't ride better unloaded than the same truck without factory air? Unloaded ride improvement would be just as important to me as self leveling.

The front axle is no different but there is an improvement to be had by changing the front shocks to Bilstein 4600's. I did and the front axle ride did improve. The rear air ride is an improvement over the non air but the difference is not amazing it's just better.

What I LIKE about the air ride is if you don't touch the "alt" ride button after having a load on the truck it will ride around without a load and have the same stance as in my pic with 5K+ on the truck. I hate trucks sitting "AZZ" high in the rear. The loaded ride is great!

For the 1,300 or so the rear air costs it sure is well worth it in my book. If you think what it costs to add compressor, bags and in cab controls and not have it fully integrated the factory option is a steal!

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for all the info. If I go Ram next time around (2 years), sounds like the air option is a no brainer...
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

Beta_rider
Explorer
Explorer
Western MA, when empty, you still know you're in a heavy duty truck, but it is not too bad. I had the camper off yesterday and drove about 75 miles on some pretty rough secondary roads and very bad California freeway. I didn't bother to lower the tire air pressure from the 65 rear and 80 front cold I use with the camper. Because of the high tire pressure and no load in the back, I could feel the little stuff, but the faster you go the smoother it gets and it cushions big hits and dips nicely. I have a 99 one ton Dodge I use for work and have put a 3,700 lb camper on in the past and the new truck is much better in every way. I do have FS air bags on the 99.