cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real world numbers

slickmick
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all! My wife and I are thinking of towing a Cherokee 274VFK with my F250 (CC, 6.2 gas, 4WD, 3:73). The 274VFK is 7695 dry (at the dealer)/ 11,237 GVWR which is under the rated 12,000 of the F 250 but I was wondering if anyone has any real world experience with towing such numbers. Am I really gonna add 3,000+ lbs to the dry weight for long weekend trips? Thanks!

I wanted to clarify some things based on some of the excellent feedback I've gotten in the replies so far; I live in Virginia and travel (and plan to travel) in the South and South-Eastern parts of the U.S. = some "hills" for sure but nothing like the mountains I used to climb when I drove OTR. I'll plan on taking my time. I never have enough time off work to go anywhere for more than a week at a time so the gear for DW and I will be relatively minimal. It sounds like a WDH will be needed for sure. Is it better to go with a heavier rated WDH than I calculate or will that cause handling issues? Thanks again!
Because of Calvary...
19 REPLIES 19

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Figure the actual dry weight will be 400# over the brochure weight, and that you'll add 1000# of gear. The only questions are what the tongue weight is and the payload on the F250.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing you need to be sure of is the 7695 the actual weight on the sticker of the TT, or the brochure dry weight. when I was looking, I noticed there was often several hundred pound difference between the two. Also does that 7695 include full propane? On my sticker it does, but didn't on the brochure. I think some stickers don't include it, so read carefully.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
More realistic, you're going to add 800 - 1000 lbs.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
I am on my second 6.2 F250 (2011 and now 2014) towing 8000 lb TT that I am sure would come in around 9500 or more. No worries.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
If it's 7700 dry I would be willing to bet it will less than 9500 ready to camp. Probably less than 9200.