cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

rear kitchen

Mitcmar
Explorer
Explorer
getting ready to get my first trailer. as anyone know if a rear kitchen travel trailer pulls any difference from an rear living trailer. I am looking at a 28-30 foot trailer dry weight about 6300 lbs.
21 REPLIES 21

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
I've had both and there is a difference. The rear kitchen will put more weight in the back which lightens the tongue and depending on the trailer can make it a bit less stable. In addition the back end always moves more and can cause disruption to cabinet and refrig contents.

We currently have a short couple's trailer in which the galley is located over the axles but the fridge is along the rear wall of the trailer. We never have problems with any of the galley cabinet contents getting tossed around but the fridge is a different story and we often do find it's contents in disarray unless we're careful to pack things tightly so they can't shift. My gross tongue weight is also less than I would prefer, no doubt due to the heavy fridge being located so far aft of the axles, so despite the attraction of a rear kitchen floor plan I doubt I could ever persuaded to buy one.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I've had both and there is a difference. The rear kitchen will put more weight in the back which lightens the tongue and depending on the trailer can make it a bit less stable. In addition the back end always moves more and can cause disruption to cabinet and refrig contents.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
Od Duck
are you saying you think there is a difference.

"but truthfully ours have been an issue"

we have a rear kitchen, and my wife does pack using some paper towels to help stabilize.
we love the rear kitchen.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Surveyor 264RK. Love it. No problems. We put our food items in baskets in rear cupboard for less movement. Much nicer setup than our last trailer with mid kitchen. Wouldn't buy anything but RK now.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I've had two and can't tell a difference. If you can find one where the fridge is on the side wall it will help but truthfully ours have been an issue on bounce. Shocks IMO are a must and both have had the,
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might break a few plates...
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Just keep in mind that the rear of the rig will bounce around more than other areas of the rig while traveling.