cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reese Sway Control Bar

atrerice
Explorer
Explorer
Finishing up the first season with our TT and decided to get a friction sway control bar for our next trip. We have the Reese style hitch head with trunion style springbars. The hitch head already had the little sway control ball installed as well as on the TT. My question is about dialing in the amount of friction. How much friction should there be? Out of the box, it's tightened enough to where I can't slide the bar in or out at all. If I loosen the "On Off" lever, pull the bar out and tighten the lever back, if I put all my weight on it, it will barely slide back in. We towed the TT about 1,000 miles this year without much sway at all. Just wanted to add the swaybar for additional safety. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
15 REPLIES 15

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
You probably already know this, but proper loading of the trailer is also important to minimize sway. Adequate tongue weight, plus make sure there is more weight in front of the trailer's wheels than behind them.

I have towed over a hundred thousand miles (!) with just a sway bar -- works great on a smaller trailer like mine. For a big trailer, a weight distribution hitch works better, or so they say.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

atrerice
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great advice! I just got back today and the swaybar worked great to stabilize the trailer. I backed off the adjustment nut a quarter turn from where it was set from the factory and used the "on/off" handle as directed in the instructions by tightening it down but leaving it parallel to the bar. No sway at all at any speed. I'm sure it helped that it was pretty stable to begin with, but there would be noticable sway in high winds and when passing semi trucks. No issues any more with that.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
it hs been amhile since I used one, but I do remember the instructions stating that if the steering wheell did not retrn to center unassisted after a turn that it was too tight.
The adjustment is NOT the handle. The bolt is.

Correct, but the steering wheel test is highly variable depending on trailer length, truck size, etc. What I do is find a straight road without traffic and do a quick input on the steering wheel to get the trailer to swing out a bit while watching for excess over-travel, then tighten the bolt a bit and retest. There will always be some over-travel due to play in the suspension and tires.

Since there is both a bolt and a handle, that is way too much for some to comprehend. The handle only needs to be tightened enough so that it doesn't move, that could be done with one finger. I doubt that there are many that are adjusted and used correctly.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor is correct.
Here are the installation instructions from the DrawTite hitch manufacturer. The other manufacturers have the same instructions.
Sway bar installation install and adjustment.

Notice that statement 3 in the beginning states:
"3. The handle (5) is an on/off device. The bolt (7) below is for adjustment only."

Notice that in the "Hook Up" section "b" it states:
b. "Retighten handle until it stops (handle should be in its original level position)."
This means tighten the handle all the way and then back it off to a position parallel to the trailers A frame.

Then is section 3 "Adjustment" it states:
"To get maximum benefits from the sway control assembly, a series of road tests should be taken with
the loaded trailer. On subsequent trips increase or decrease tension by turning the adjusting bolt (7) in 1/4 turn increments in
the direction shown on the label until the desired control is achieved. For large trailers, it may be necessary to install a second
sway control unit."

This adjustment is done by turning the small bolt located below the handle in small amounts and road testing in between adjustments. By large trailers they are talking about those longer than 26 feet according to other manufacturers instructions.

The thing to remember is that the long handle is an "On/Off" device and not an adjustment device. By doing it the proper way, you will always be able to put the same amount of sway control on and not be guessing whether you turned the handle hard enough.
Hope this helps.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
camperforlife wrote:
I had two on a 26' trailer for years. Tighten it down tight and back off until the handle is parallel to the bar. If you tighten it too much during a sharp turn you will either bend the bar or break the little ball off or both.

The handle is NOT the adjustment, read the directions.

Please post the directions you are referring too. Otherwise, I take the direction posted by others as correct.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
it hs been amhile since I used one, but I do remember the instructions stating that if the steering wheell did not retrn to center unassisted after a turn that it was too tight.
The adjustment is NOT the handle. The bolt is.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
camperforlife wrote:
I had two on a 26' trailer for years. Tighten it down tight and back off until the handle is parallel to the bar. If you tighten it too much during a sharp turn you will either bend the bar or break the little ball off or both.

The handle is NOT the adjustment, read the directions.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I had two on a 26' trailer for years. Tighten it down tight and back off until the handle is parallel to the bar. If you tighten it too much during a sharp turn you will either bend the bar or break the little ball off or both. For the first few times that you use a new friction grip sway control pull out the bar after use and clean off the friction residue with course steel wool. The residue can cause it to stick and damage the bar. Always take it off before you make a sharp turn backing up. Going forward it is highly unlikely that you will ever make a sharp enough turn to damage it.

atrerice
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys! The biggest thing I worry about is having it too tight and having it break the hitch head or the trailer tongue. The thing is with these things is there really isn't a whole lot of information out there about adjusting them. Watched a few YouTube videos but it sounds like it's more trial and error than anything else.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Loosen the friction sway bar so it slides easily by turning the crank handle. After installing on both little balls, tighten the handle crank as much as you can by hand. Give it an extra "umph" and that's good. The tighter it is, the better it helps control sway. But there is a point where too tight is too much, so never use a cheater bar to make it tighter. However, it is OK to use a cheater bar if you need to initially loosen it.

Once it slides easily, remove it from both little balls until needed the next trip. I used one for years and years. I had to replace it once with a new one as the old one finally froze in place and I ended up breaking the handle to when attempting to loosen it. That was after 10 years of use too.

This is totally incorrect and the reason that so many find fault with the friction bars. Read the directions.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like from your description you had it about right. Drive with it a while, if it seems like you need a little more, tighten the bolt on the back a little. If it seems to much, loosen the bolt on the back. Over tightening it will break the balls off.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If you have the trunion style bars, add the dual cam kit to it.
Works far better than simple friction.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What is your tongue weight percentage?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Too tight will pop the ball off. Check online sites for proper use. YouTube or etrailer etc