cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regular cab under Outfitter Apex 9.5?

Notakwanon
Explorer
Explorer
The frame under my 2006 GMC 2500 HD diesel 4x4, extended cab (2 doors) has rusted so badly that it cannot be repaired, so I have begun looking for a replacement. The bumper to bumper length of my truck is 20' 10", and with the Outfitter Apex 9.5 on it, 2 more feet. Extended cabs such as I have now are no longer made, the most popular trucks being the 4 door models which are a foot longer. The truck I have now is a problem in tight parking lots and my garage, so I really don't want something longer. When I showed the salesman a photo of my present rig and told him I wanted a regular cab truck he said 'bad idea', as the overhang of the camper would obstruct vision. Although it is not possible for me to take an accurate measurement, my guess is that from the inside rear edge of the truck box, the camper overhang will be 70 inches.
So is an Outfitter Apex 9.5 on a regular cab pickup a problem? I doubt it, but if you agree with the salesman, I would appreciate your comments if you have experience with this. Thanks.
2006 GMC 2500HD 6.6 diesel
2003 Outfitter Apex 9.5
29 REPLIES 29

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
It's the extended cabovers that seem weird with a regular cab..This one has the old east to west bed,not the extended cabover..

I don't think they make these anymore in a 8ft+ hard sided TC,could be wrong!

Good luck op with your hunt..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

specta
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
With an extended cabover they look silly...lol..Sorry Specta...

All in fun...

That's OK, I chuckle at your's too. 😉
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Notakwanon
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
Are you looking to buy a new truck or a newer used truck?

I've been on the net looking at used trucks, but having trouble finding one I want to buy. Very likely I will order a new one.
2003 Outfitter Apex 9.5

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Every truck camper I have owned has been on a regular cab truck except my current one..It was never an issue..Having said that,I wouldn't own another one with a truck camper with the extended cabover..The extra storage the extra cab brings is worth its weight in gold with a pass through window from TC to truck...With an extended cabover they look silly...lol..Sorry Specta...With an east to west old style cabover they look normal..

All in fun...
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Are you looking to buy a new truck or a newer used truck?

Notakwanon
Explorer
Explorer
A great set of replies! THanks to all. Those photos are perfect. TM..
2003 Outfitter Apex 9.5

specta
Explorer
Explorer
joerg68 wrote:
my Silverado with the Apex 8:

That's a mighty fine looking truck you have there.
Kenny

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
my Silverado with the Apex 8:
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

specta
Explorer
Explorer
silversand wrote:
...wow! If that cabover on regular cab doesn,t block traffic light view, nothing Will 😛

Get a regular cab :B

Its the perfect sun visor. LOL
Kenny

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
The sad thing is you will still pay around $40,000.00 dollars for a regular cab F-350 or 3500 truck.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
...wow! If that cabover on regular cab doesn,t block traffic light view, nothing Will 😛

Get a regular cab :B
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

specta
Explorer
Explorer

He doesn't want to sell you a regular cab because he probably doesn't have one to sell you.

These are the two campers I've had on my regular cab pickup with the second picture being my current camper. As you can see both campers have full size queen beds over the cab.

I have no idea what the cab over obstructs. :h

Even being up close to the line at intersections the signal lights are no problem to see.

Looks can be deceiving. From inside the cab it just isn't an issue.

The only advise given to me by a good friend was just to be careful the first time I opened the hood of the truck that it didn't hit the camper, which never happened with either camper.

Every time I called a dealer and asked if they had a regular cab on the lot they all had the same reply, "why do you want a regular cab?" Which told me they didn't have one.

I love my regular cab. Especially in crowded parking lots and when making u-turns.
Kenny

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
....what about seeing a traffic light if stopped near/directly at intersection?
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
I suppose he meant the cabover obstructing vision out of the upper part of the windshield?
I had an Apex 8 on a 2008 Silverado Regular cab. The 9.5 basically is the lengthened version of that camper.
No problem with vision out of the windshield.
Before that I had a Lance 915 on that truck, and my Northstar Arrow after the Outfitter. All n/s beds, never an issue.
The regular cab has very limited storage space, though. Which was the main reason I replaced the Chevy with an extended cab Super Duty Ford.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Ford F-250 super cab which I love. I don't think it is a problem putting a TC on a standard size truck. A lot of people do it. I do agree a crew cab truck is to long for a lot of parking spaces.