cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Remove Dinette? (long)

cougarfan
Explorer
Explorer
I am seriously considering removing the dinette from my trailer and replacing with a euro chair or recliner.

I have searched all over the net on this subject and I've come up with a few pictures and descriptions, but mostly for Class A's where they're adding theater seating-type sofas, etc. That would be too much weight for my little trailer and I don't have the room for the footstools to go out that direction anyway since I don't have a slide.

I have a small, 19' trailer with a dedicated queen bed in the front and a dinette down one side. A few of my camping trips have been in the rain (this is Oregon after all) and after not being able to be outside, I discovered the dinette is really not that comfortable. The foam isn't very thick and the fact that the back is straight up made it really uncomfortable and my back hurt for a week afterwards. I don't need the extra sleeping space the dinette provides, I'm not concerned about resale, and I'm not interested in purchasing a different trailer with different seating.

I have opened up both seats of the dinette to see what's underneath. The side by the bed just has the drawer. The other side has another drawer, wires for the inside and outside 110 plugs, and the outside cable connection (for watching tv outside) which all run under that dinette seat and then into the floor about 15 inches from the wall so I will need to cover all that. There is also a small box for the wheel well (single axle).

The supports for the dinette table are above the floor so would only need to fill the small screw holes or just throw a rug over the area. The flooring is the same from the front pass-thru storage area to the bathroom in the back. Looks like they put down one sheet of linoleum and then built the trailer on top of it so no worries there.

I would purchase a small recliner or euro chair with an ottoman, and I found a small base cabinet at Home Depot that will work to cover the wires and replace the storage I will lose by removing the drawers under the seats. I would take a sample of the current cabinet finish in to the store so I could find a stain that matches. I would use a tv tray for meals and my laptop.

I have a friend who is a contractor and will do the work for me (although I'm pretty handy and could probably do it myself) but hey, why not use the professional?

So, my question is has anyone done something like this in a trailer? I'm pretty close to doing it but thought I'd throw out the question here in the hopes someone has done it and to make sure I haven't missed something in my planning.

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance.

Laura
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 246RKS
Traveling with Harley, my Tibetan Spaniel
GO COUGS!
16 REPLIES 16

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
This person figured out a way to leave the dinette and mount office chairs in it.
They took the base off the office chair so it was just the seat with a post coming out of the bottom then mounted a vertical 4x4 in dinette base, drilled a deep 1.125" vertical hole in the 4x4 and insert chair post to get rotating chair.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25969244/srt/pa/pging/1/page/2.cfm

At some point I saved this link for RV furniture. Don't know anything about the company.
http://www.glastop.com/rv-furniture-products.asp?id=70

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
I also had the foam in my seat cushions replaced with denser foam. WOW what a difference. Doesn't feel like you're sitting on the plywood after an hour or so, anymore.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

4x4Bob
Explorer
Explorer
Cougarfan;

I also wanted a comfortable lounge chair in my TT. After much shopping I discovered that not all lounge chairs are created equal.

First I measured the area it would be in and then took my tape measure with me shopping. I found a chair that was smaller then others and still comfortable. I found mine at R.C. Wileys. Don't know if this store is in your area.

Bob
2001 2500 Silverado LS 4x4 6.0, 4.10
2007 Jayco Eagle 288RLS
Cocktails for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2
--------------------
End of dirt road, no signs in sight, sun going down: I am not lost, just getting ready to go camping.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
We totally flip flopped the inside of our 5'er. We removed the booth dinette from the slide and the rear crappy sofa sleeper. We bought a table and chairs from a local furniture store and put those in the rear so we now have a rear dinning. We then bought a nice recliner theater seating love seat. We put that where the booth dinette was. Depending on the views or whatever we will move the sofa to the rear and put the dinette in the slide. I like the versatility.

I had to patch up some holes and extend some trim in the slide area. Bought some wood at Home Depot and found some stain to match.

chr_
Explorer
Explorer
I removed the horrible thing from my TT. It was a nice looking wraparound conversation pit, but totally useless for a couple who spends most time in the TT alone in the woods. They are uncomfortable, and all the stuff accumulated on it and the table.

Mine had the water heater under it and the pump, etc. I replaced one side with two 30" cabinets from Lowes, and the other side with a jacknife sofa only because I had one from my motorhome I spent $$$ recovering. I will eventually put two recliners in there.

I moved the water heater to a wasted space under the bathroom sink, and installed a generator compartment in it's place and left all the other stuff. The new cabinets have drawers and I added a third inside one cabinet. The rest of the space is the existing plumbing and the generator compartment, or usable storage. We now have a nice 60" counter top and two drawers for socks and such to use when we are camping.

Photos of before, during, and after are Here.

I did add about 300# overall weight at the rear, but it took about 100# off my tongue, and the rig handles better now.
-CHR$
1996 Safari Sahara Edition 35' Diesel Pusher. Just getting the Solar stuff started.

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
Hi cougarfan. I took about 2" off the height of mine for the same reason, and beefed up the framing to make them stronger. It's just furring strips from the lumber yard and extra screws.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
2011 4x8 open cargo

cougarfan
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 and dockmasterdave that looks great! I considered doing that but the window by the dinette would be lower than the back of the sofa. The windows in my trailer are frameless so only the bottom portion of the window opens (crank-out type). I would lose the airflow from that window. I love the look of the windows but I've lost quite a bit of airflow compared to sliding windows. Your sofas look outstanding!

Thanks for all the replies! If I decide to do it, I'll definitely post pics!

Thanks again!
Laura
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 246RKS
Traveling with Harley, my Tibetan Spaniel
GO COUGS!

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
We did the same as mitchF150 after only one trip. Made a nice big couch with storage underneath. Looks like a factory option.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Hope I did the pics right.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
2011 4x8 open cargo

MeandMyLabs
Explorer
Explorer
In our last trailer (Jayco 19BH), we removed the dinette and used two nice office chairs with footstools. This worked fairly well. When it came time for a trade in, simply put the dinette back in and screwed down like original and you could not tell it was removed.

With our current TH, we also removed the U-dinette first thing and replace with two Lazy Boy recliners. Huge difference in comfort. When it comes time for replacement, I will simply reinstall the dinette.

When space needs are at a premium (especially in a small trailer), a dinette is the biggest and most uncomfortable waste of space there is IMO.
2017 Salem Hemisphere
2009 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.0 L

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
I have a very small footstool that my parents used for years in their TT. I use it as I sit at the table and read, etc. I also have a pillow behind my back. We decided that we would miss the storage too much to take the dinette benches out but sometimes we need bedding for four extra bunks or winter clothes.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
The other bonus is we still have all the storage space under the benches! ๐Ÿ™‚

Even the end bench door was retained, so it's easy access for stuff we put there..

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
I did that very thing to my trailer. It's 22' from hitch to bumper, so the camper part is only around 19' from end to end.

Here is what it looked like after removing the benches.

We also thought about adding chairs or a couch or something, but that wasn't going to work... Just not enough room.. So, I moved the existing benches end to end and that was the ticket for us.

After cutting out for the wheel well and finishing it up, it looked like this.

If we have to eat inside, we do this.

Works for us and gaining that extra foot of floor space makes a HUGE difference inside... We talked about doing this after the first year we owned it (2002), but didn't actually do it until 2010... DOH....

Best mod we've done so far, and I've done a LOT of mods! ๐Ÿ™‚

Just what works for us.. No concern on 'resale' value, because it really would not take much to put it back to a dinette again (I still have the table and all hardware).

Good luck!

Mitch

Waiting for the warranty to wear out before making any modifications?? ? Just kidding. . .

Great pictures. I guess you had a compact dinette before, now have unlimited legroom to sit at the table. You could install floor mounted flush table legs, and longer table legs than your factory table legs, then use the table again (or a smaller one).

Table legs : http://www.campingworld.com/search/index.cfm?Ntt=table+legs&N=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=primary...

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

JohnnyG73
Explorer
Explorer
My bro-in-law has a 2012 30' TT that already has two recliners. The dinette was in a slide out. They never used the dinette and ate outside or in the recliners while watching TV. He tore the dinette out and built a bar complete with bar stools for entertaining. 3 can sit on the outside and 1 behind the bar. It looks great and functions well.

Anything is possible.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
HI,

I was able to order my motorhome without a dinette. Instead, they install the couch on the drivers side where the factory dinette would have been, (passenger side would have been the couch), and mine they put three chairs on the passenger side, along with a tiny coffee size table, about 12" square.

This gave me three captains chairs on the passenger side, in a row, with the passenger seat forward, then the twin captains chairs and tiny table. I removed the center captain chair, then installed a 29" deep X 38" wide table. It is in a rack of sorts, that allows me to lift up the table top and slide it into the cabinet, built onto the wall. That cabinet is 4" deep, 29" tall, and has a slot about 3" from the passenger sidewall, so that the pins in the end of the table board slide up and down when I store it. It has a board (oak) that is 4" tall and sits below the table top, to support it, and a 2"X2" board on the other side, above the table top, to also support the top, from tilting to low, and keep it level. Above it all, there is a 4" wide top that is hinged, to fold up while moving the table into or out of storage area. It all fits just below my window, that is 30" off the floor.

You can also buy the table legs, in various lengths, and table tops of several sizes. I even had a 20" X 30" table in my first camper with a USA map built in, and laminated with a clear finish on top! You could sit at the table and plan your next trip. It was also easy to keep clean.

Many times the dinette is over something. Like a wheel well, or water tank, or water pump, or it is easy to remove with nothing under it. Sometimes a RV manufacture puts a small carpeted cover over the wheelwell, but normally there is a cabinet if the wheelwell is higher than the floor level.

I have a friend with a massage easy chair in his Country Coach RV. It makes a great place to sleep. So would a Lazy Boy recliner. They tend not to move around much while driving.

I personally find the dinette the most uncomfortable thing in the RV! Especially the upright seating positions that many manufactures use. THey could have tilted the backs of the dinette a little bit, but that might make the bed 4" shorter than one that is not tilted. You might find the cushions more comfortable if you cut a pool noodle to the width of your seats, then place this at the bottom, so the cushions sit at a angle? Worth a try, or just try it with a extra pillow at the bottom of the cushion - to see if it works out better.

It is your RV, enjoy it!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com