cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Removing Dinette and putting in REAL furniture!

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
So, for years, we have camped and travelled with the most comfortable seat being my lawn chair outside.

We decided to (finally) remove the dinette. Sure, it was functional, and the thought of playing games at the table was heart warming. But the truth told, my butt was usually numb halfway through Monopoly.

I was reluctant, as I didn't want to destroy anything. I also didn't want to risk resale value, so I wanted to keep the dinette in storage.

It came out beautifully. No fuss, all in one piece! It now sits nicely in the basement, waiting for the day that its future owner may want it.

I hadn't really given thought to the expense of real furniture. When we went shopping, I was thinking the dinette was going to have to go back in! Geez, the price of furniture is climbing! Finally, we came across this reclining loveseat from Costco. It was middle of the road quality, and that is plenty good for the trailer.

The space was 80" wide and the couch is 65". This leaves about 15" on one side that I plan to build an end table with storage for. I also plan to mount a cupholder to the wall on the opposite side.

I've thought about raising the whole couch about 6", allowing for storage under it. I can't think of how to do it and keep weight down. As is, the couch is about 150 pounds...the entire dinette was probably about 20 pounds.

Anyway, if you are on the fence about it, the job itself is very easy. I could put the dinette back in under a half hour. As for whether or not it was a good decision...the jury is out until we get a few trips in. But I'll report our thoughts later.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!
9 REPLIES 9

firstime_rver
Explorer
Explorer
We're looking to do the same thing only leaving table as is and replacing the bench seats with reclining swivel chairs.

Thanks to Pulsar for his help in posting the pics...
Pat & Barb
2015 4.3L Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 with towing package
2016 Aspen trail 1900RB

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport, thanks for the photos. That looks as good as my living room at home! I'll keep the idea of wheels in mind. Our tv will be slightly to the side, but there is room for us to swing the couch out a little.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
If stuck inside, we plan to eat from trays in our lap. Another drawback is that the kids no longer have a spot. We figure they can bring their camp chairs inside, or a beanbag.

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same thing, recliner love seat to replace junk sofa. I was able to keep the dinette though. You will love it.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
rode2nowhere wrote:
any problem getting furniture in and out tiny door?

:B I've seen them remove a slideout to do a furniture swap .

also have seen furniture be taken apart to fit it in...then reassemble. Didn't even know that could be done, until I saw it done.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
None. It did limit shopping to those that had removable backs. With the back off, it slid right in, but even one inch larger would have been a problem.

rode2nowhere
Explorer
Explorer
any problem getting furniture in and out tiny door?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, that looks so luxurious -- well done! But can you play Monopoly while reclining? ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Yea! Now you're "cooking on the front burner with full heat!" Yea! I KNOW you'll be much happier. RV furniture if just uncomfortable, I agree!

Our Outback did have stand alone furniture, but did not fit our needs, especially the table and chairs. Long story short, we removed the furniture and put in our own, a REAL household reclining couch! It is so comfortable. I put wheels on it and can turn it directly facing the full rear window and television. The couch is better than the one in our house!