cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

repair fresh water tubing under trailer

pbbm511
Explorer
Explorer
During our last outing, after hooking up to the water, we experienced multiple leaks coming from under the trailer. Ended up not using water for that short trip. BTW, the trailer had sat for a few months before this outing. Our next step will be to investigate the problem next weekend. Question is, how difficult is it if we need to replace the fresh water tubing? If we do need to replace tubing, should we replace all of it? I'm hoping it's just some connections. Is this something we should leave to the pros? Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pex will not break from freezing, but the fittings will break. Do a thurough inspection of all fittings, make a list of the ones you need and purchase new ones and a crimper, or use the shark bites. The crimper route is the better way to go.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
#1nobby wrote:
gbopp wrote:
Pex tubing and SharkBite fittings.
Sharkbite fitting are great. They are also expensive.

You'll get more mileage out of a $75 crimper and some clamps.
🙂

X2

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
check and see if fitting have come loose... sometimes that is all that is needed.

I have had a few of mine loosen. line to fixture/Faucet
and the "T" fitting at water pump.

the hardest part is getting your arm to where the problem is. and seeing what you are doing. Braille wrenching is helpful.

richk88
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:

x2
2014 Shasta Revere 27RL
Retired from pulling and went seasonal

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest to take it to someone or have a mobile RV guy do it.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Sharkbite fitting are great. They are also expensive.

You'll get more mileage out of a $75 crimper and some clamps.

But first....you'll have to figure out where it's coming from.

Start at the city water hook up and work your way in and down. My opening cupboards and removing false panels you should be able to uncover 90% of your water lines.

Could have had a hungry squirrel.

Or thirsty. 🙂

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Depends on things I have no way of guessing. How handy are you? Why did multiple leaks happen? What does the plumbing in your rig look like/how easy is it to get to all of it? I'm not trying to be a pain in the butt, I'm just trying to suggest that the way the question was asked, nobody here has a clue what the answer is. My guess is that you should leave it to the pros, AND you should find out why all those leaks came to be so you can avoid the same thing next year.

jdavidsmi
Explorer
Explorer
If you can see the pipe where the leak is the replacement is very straight forward. Find your leak cut out the bad and replace. Turn water back on and check
You will need a special tool for clamping the fittings to the pipe.
2004 Fleetwood Terra 31H (no slides) F53 with V-10

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Did you winterize it good last year??. The southeast got a bit colder last winter than usual.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.