cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resetting 2013 Silverado TPMS after rotating tires

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
So, being very ambitious the other day, I rotated the tires on my 2013 Silverado 2500HD. Now, of course, the TPMS sensors have to be reset to accurately indicate which tire has what pressure.

In the manual, it says you have to use a "TPMS relearn tool" to do this. There is no way in heck I am going spend any money on something like that. :M I have heard that with previous years, you could "relearn" the sensors via the method of dropping air pressure in each tire in a certain sequence until the sensor "learned" which tire is at which position on the vehicle.

Long story short, can anyone tell me if I can still use this air pressure method on my 2013, instead of the "relearn tool" that Chevy wants me to buy?
:h

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

18 REPLIES 18

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
Chevy is definitely not expecting you to buy their tool. They want you to bring it in to the dealer for this service...
Not at $480 to $650 a pop for the tool.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Chevy is definitely not expecting you to buy their tool. They want you to bring it in to the dealer for this service...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Here you go

Another way

Must read before trying the manual system below

AND

Straight from the GM Service Manual for 2011 M.Y. Silverado's............

Ignition ON, initiate the TPM Learn Mode using one of the following procedures:
On vehicles equipped with keyless entry, simultaneously press the keyless entry transmitters lock and unlock buttons until a double horn chirp sounds indicating the Learn Mode has been enabled. The left front turn signal will also be illuminated.

On vehicles not equipped with keyless entry, press and release the driver information center (DIC) INFO button until the TIRE LEARN message appears on the DIC display. Press and hold the SET/RESET button until a double horn chirp sounds indicating the Learn Mode has been enabled. The left front turn signal will also be illuminated.

Starting with the left front tire, learn the tire pressure using one of the following methods:

Hold the antenna of the J-46079 aimed upward against the tire sidewall close to the wheel rim at the valve stem location. Press and release the activate button and wait for a horn chirp. Once the horn chirp has sounded, the sensor information is learned and the turn signal in the next location to be learned will illuminate.

Warning: Over inflating tires may cause personal injury or damage to the tires and wheels. When increasing tire pressure do not exceed the maximum inflation pressure as noted on the tire sidewall.

Increase/decrease the tire pressure for 8-10 seconds then wait for a horn chirp. The horn chirp may occur before or up to 30 seconds after the 8-10 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached. Once the horn chirp has sounded, the sensor information is learned and the turn signal in the next location to be learned will illuminate.

After the horn chirp has sounded and the right front turn signal is illuminated, repeat step 2 for the remaining 3 sensors in the following order:

Right front
Right rear
Left rear

When the left rear sensor has been learned and a double horn chirp has sounded, the learn process is complete and the RCDLR exits the learn mode.

Ignition OFF, adjust all tires to the recommended pressures. Refer to Vehicle Certification, Tire Placard, Anti-Theft, and Service Parts ID Label

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

dwb619
Explorer
Explorer
I would do it the "red neck" way.
Rotate front to back.
When you read the screen just remember front is back, and back is front.
Till next rotation.
Now that I said all that, the wife took her Tahoe to the dealer for rotation and reset.
My 1500 hasn't reached rotation time yet.