cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restoring faded front cap

bigbullelk
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. Is this (the Red Max/Zep process) still the latest and greatest way to restore a faded front fiberglass cap?

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25818736.cfm

I recently stumbled upon the Wipe New Fleet product as well, but it is quite expensive and am not sure if it is any better or worse than the Red Max/Zep process.

Thanks in advance for any input and/or for pointing me in the right direction.
7 REPLIES 7

bigbullelk
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. I guess I should have provided more info. I have a 2007 Forest River Surveyor 255RS travel trailer. The front cap I referred to (maybe I misused that term) is just the front of the trailer -- basically a flat sloped piece of fiberglass. I gets cooked by the sun and the fiberglass is faded and chalky. I am considering the process I linked in my original post. Looking for any thoughts on if this is a good process, or if there are newer or better processes or products out there to bring the fiberglass back to life.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
westend wrote:
Have you attempted anything before, with the fading color?

Yes, I tried what Northwood recommended (buffing and applying a good wax). I think I am going to check around for paint job. Arctic Fox said it needed to be waxed (when under warranty still) but that did not fix it. I may ask them again since the wax did not do much.. wonder how a vinyl wrap would do?

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Have you attempted anything before, with the fading color?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the paint is truly faded, and I suspect it is, nothing but a new paint job is going to fix the problem. The Zep will put a shine on it but won't improve the fading.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

rtaylor0830
Explorer
Explorer
hawkeye-08 wrote:
Has anyone done this on the 2012-2013 faded front cap trailers? Apparently, there were a bunch of defective front caps from the mfg that faded right away and don't respond to normal cleaning and waxing.

I had mine repainted for free by keystone when I told them it was there fault.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Has anyone done this on the 2012-2013 faded front cap trailers? Apparently, there were a bunch of defective front caps from the mfg that faded right away and don't respond to normal cleaning and waxing.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend using the Red Max Pro/Zep system to clean and prepare the surface.
Then use the wax of you choice.

Preparation is the key to a good job.