cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reverse polarity

Sybrina
Explorer
Explorer
I hooked up my battery backwards on my 1994 skyline Layton and now my slider won't extend. What is the problem and where can I find it?
12 REPLIES 12

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
schlep1967 wrote:
It will if the battery is connected. Without the battery the converter doesn't put out enough to run the motors. The converter charges the battery so the reserve power is there for the big DC draws.

My converter puts out 60A peak, several times what the slide motor requires (it's on a 20A automotive fuse so it's less than 20A for any significant amount of time). I've read that the hydraulic pumps used by some big rig slides need up to 100A which would obviously be more than almost any converter could supply.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

LScamper
Explorer
Explorer
BB TX I learn something new every day. I thought the reverse polarity fuse was in the converter not on the panel.
Lou

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
LScamper wrote:
So the slide works with the battery alone with nothing coming from the converter? That would be the same as the reverse polarity fuses being removed. The fuses are not needed to use the slide! So bad fuses will not stop slide from working.

On mine, power to the reversing solenoid for the hydraulic pump is wired direct from the battery thru an auto reset circuit breaker. But the 12 vdc power to the switch to operate that solenoid is wired from the converter/12v fuse panel. Thus the slides will not work with blown reverse polarity fuses since you cannot operate the solenoid.

LScamper
Explorer
Explorer
So the slide works with the battery alone with nothing coming from the converter? That would be the same as the reverse polarity fuses being removed. The fuses are not needed to use the slide! So bad fuses will not stop slide from working.
Lou

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
It will if the battery is connected. Without the battery the converter doesn't put out enough to run the motors. The converter charges the battery so the reserve power is there for the big DC draws.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

LScamper
Explorer
Explorer
Schlep1967 will your slide work when you are not plugged into shore power?
Lou

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
LScamper wrote:
Maybe blew reverse polarity fuse but that should not stop slide from working. There should be a self resetting circuit breaker near the battery. That maybe toast.

Since the reverse polarity fuse stops all battery power from getting to the converter, the slides will not operate until it is replaced. At least that is how it is on my unit. Others with hydraulic slides may be set up differently.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

LScamper
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe blew reverse polarity fuse but that should not stop slide from working. There should be a self resetting circuit breaker near the battery. That maybe toast.
Lou

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
check the reverse polarity fuse(s) on the output of the converter.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
You blew the converter fuses.
Generally there are 4 of them usually between 20-30 amps.
They are directly on the converter, not in the power center with the others.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
There are โ€œreverse polarity fusesโ€ just for that purpose. Google it.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're lucky, it's just a blown fuse.

Start by checking the fuses in your DC power panel (or power converter).