cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rockwood 2016 2906WS

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Seems we're one of the first folks to buy the new model Rockwood Ultra Lite 2906WS. Thought we'd share what we're finding so far, just in case someone else is thinking of buying one.

The one we bought was loaded with most of the options Rockwood offered, in the Biltmore color scheme.

PRO: Power tongue jack, with light.

PRO: This one came with a pair of 30 lb tanks.

PRO: Street side compartment holds water pump and in-line filter in an easy to reach location.
PRO: Outside shower is directly beside water pump.
PRO: Water heater is directly beside water pump.
PRO: Water intakes are right beside water heater, water pump, outdoor shower.
PRO: Pex tubing.
CON: The water pump/filter compartment had wires routed haphazardly, giving a very untidy appearance and preventing use of that space for additional storage. We re-routed all wires up and out of the way, giving us space to store the water hoses and ensuring no wires get snagged or damaged. Why didn't they clean it up at the factory?

PRO: The underside long storage compartment is pretty spacious for a trailer.
CON: It has only one door, requiring a boat hook to retrieve things from the far end -- or a very small but strong child -- we're going with a boat hook.

PRO: Solar prepped.
CON: Can only use a particular brand.

PRO: Roof ladder.

PRO: Rear bumper can store sewer hose.
CON: Not the attachments. We like to have them permanently attached, so the hose won't be stored in the bumper.
PRO: Room in the bumper for fishing poles, as long as the reel isn't too big.

PRO: Each corner has its own up/down switch for the jacks.
CON: On each corner.
PRO: One gets some exercise running from corner to corner.

PRO: Two power awnings that cover the curb side completely.
CON: No wind sensor to take them in automatically.
PRO: The class A awning was manual. This is definitely an improvement.
PRO: LED rope lights along the curb side.
CON: No door light. It's either light up the whole curbside or use a flashlight to find the door.

PRO: Grill setup is under the awning.
CON: Directions say to retract the awning when grilling. May as well have put the grill on the back where so many others are.
CON: It's close to the bedroom window. If you open the window when grilling, you'll have food odor in the bedroom.
Whatever: TV mount in same general area as grill mount. I'm not likely to use it, but it may be important to someone else.
CON: Too close to grill mount. Might splatter grease on TV.

PRO: Protective cover over bedroom window.
CON: Totally manual. Have to stand on the hitch to unscrew, then raise the cover. Haven't tried it yet, but I think I may be too short to reach the top screws.

PRO: Open the door and you have immediate access to the bathroom and bedroom.
CON: No access to main living area when slides are in.

PRO: Two A/Cs.
CON: Not putting out much air through the ceiling vents. We'll be taking it back to fix that.

PRO: Good heat the first night we spent in it.
CON: Only propane heat through this furnace.
CON: Next morning, the ignition starting firing over and over, and more heat was going out the exhaust than was going inside. Back to the dealer to fix that.
PRO: Good thing we got the electric fireplace. We didn't get cold.

PRO: Nice size TV and excellent Radio/DVD player/Bluetooth setup, all just above the electric fireplace.
CON: Not sure what the open shelf under the TV is supposed to be for. If it was meant for any electronics, it failed, because there is no hole drilled for pulling electrical cords or cables up to the outlet or TV. Maybe we can make it into a drawer.
PRO: Lots of good quality speakers, indoor and outdoor.

PRO: The tri-fold fake leather sofa is perfect for short people. We can sit there with our feet on the ground, instead of sticking straight out. Comfy to sit on, comfy as a bed (full queen).
PRO: Narrow tables on each side of the sofa, for drinks, glasses, books, etc.
PRO: Theater seats are comfy recliners (they do require us shorties to raise the foot rest).
CON: They're almost black in this color palette. Not my favorite color.
PRO: Electrical outlets on both sides of the sofa.
CON: None near the theater seats or dining table/chairs (none in that entire slide). We'll use a long extension behind the seats.
PRO: Dining table with extension and four chairs with storage inside the seats.
CON: Table is screwed to the floor, and so close to one wall that whoever sits in those two chairs will have to really suck in the torso to fit. No idea what we'll do about that.

PRO: Day/night shades on all windows.

PRO: Pretty luxurious fabrics on the windows and throw pillows.
CON: The entire color scheme makes for a dark, boring interior. We only went with the Biltmore color palette because that model was literally the only one on the lot. Weโ€™ll be covering as much of the fabric as possible with some actual color. With the window placement where it is, the trailer is too dark for my tastes. Lighter shades on the walls and furniture would help it feel less like a cave. I spent too many years working inside windowless buildings and a couple of mountains to want to do it some more.
CON: A dry clean only bedspread and matching pillows so soft theyโ€™re nothing but decoration? No. Just no. The fact that they are also beige to the point of nausea means they left the trailer immediately, never to be seen again (I put them in the class A - its old bed coverings wore out long ago, and it looks very nice there).
CON: The Rockwood color people need to be fired. Beige on gray on black on brown on beige is bloody awful. Making the beige walls white would have gone a long way to improving things. When it's out of warranty, I'll probably paint them.

PRO: Full-size queen bed.
CON: No bedroom mirror. We'll install a full-length mirror on the bedroom/hall door.

PRO: Three drawers at bottom of bed.
CON: A huge handle sticks out of the bed platform. That's about 3" of thigh bruising that does not need to be there.

Kinda PRO: Hookups for a bedroom TV. Not my thing, but some folks like one.
CON: If you actually install one, you'll bang into it every time you walk around the foot of the bed.
CON: Between a TV and that handle, you'll be bruised from shoulder to thigh.

PRO: Charging station on street side of bed.

PRO: Spacious bathroom, especially inside the shower.
Sort of CON: Plastic toilet. Sorry, but I just prefer porcelain. Your tushy may feel differently.
PRO: A circular hand towel hanger was installed right by the sink, nice and handy.
CON: They provided one cheap, crappy towel bar for the bathroom, just tossed into a drawer, with two sets of thingies to hang it up (only needed one set). That towel bar wonโ€™t even have the strength to hold one bath towel, much less the four weโ€™ll need, so it went out in today's donations (as did the crappy plastic paper towel holder that broke the moment we folded out the two pieces). Our old class A had the ideal bath towel setup, which we will now build onto the sliding door between bath and bedroom: wooden slats into which are inserted four moveable steel bars. Theyโ€™ll be out of the way and easily reachable from the shower. Why didnโ€™t their designers think of this?
CON: They provided the plastic toilet paper roll insert, nothing else. We're looking for a j-hook style, like we have in the class A, instead.
CON: No place to actually put the TP holder without it being in the way of something. We'll have to find the least bad place to put it.
PRO: Shower has several shelves and an attached bag in which to store shower things, bottles, etc., plus there's a sky light above. Nicely done.
CON: Really cheap looking plastic shower head and hose. We immediately replaced with an Oxygenics.
sorta CON: Not much storage in the bathroom, so they put shelves in the slideout wardrobe, which cuts the wardrobe down considerably, but it's still a bigger wardrobe than most trailers of this size.

PRO: Suburban cook stove with a 22" oven. Loving that size. Typical 3-burner cook top, with the electric ignition.
CON: Like every RV oven, you have to kneel on the floor, stick your arm (maybe your head) into the oven, then hold your BBQ lighter all the way in the back until the stove finally lights. For someone with a bum knee, this is really difficult - not that it will stop me from baking biscuits.
CON: They put a knife rack at the back of the stove, and then installed a stove model with a bi-fold cover that sits directly on the knife rack when lifted, thereby making said knife rack completely useless. They could have put the knife rack on the right side of the stove (as one faces the stove), where the knives could be reached safely (and the rack itself can be used). I was quite happy to have a knife rack, until I realized itโ€™s a waste of sheet metal.
PRO: At least the stove cover is over the knife rack holes, so food won't drop down the slots.

PRO: Microwave is not directly above the stove.
CON: I need a stool to reach it, and it's really, really tiny - been a long time since I've seen a 1cf microwave.

PRO: Excellent kitchen sink and counter area. Room for our portable ice maker, out of the way, and still space to work.
CON: Sink cover is warped and cheap, as in seriously tacky.
PRO: Nice sky light right above the stove, with a shade for really hot sunny days.
CON: There is no place to put a kitchen trash can. The tall, narrow under cabinet door to the right of the sink would have been the ideal place, but instead they slapped a shelf the entire length of that under cabinet. Weโ€™ll have to rebuild the inside of that under cabinet to make room for a trash can.

PRO: Big pantry.
CON: Shelves are so thin that we'll have to reinforce to keep them from collapsing under the weight of whatever we put in it.

CON: All living/kitchen area cabinets and drawers are narrow and thin. Will be difficult to find safe places for cookware, especially my cast iron skillet, the coffeemaker, and similar items. The drawer bottoms are as thin as the pantry shelves. I expect a whole lot of organizing and reorganizing (and probably some DIY work) before we get things safely stowed.

PRO: 8cf fridge. That's bigger than we had in the class A.

PRO: Most of the trailer has a cushioned wood-look flooring that feels just wonderful to tired legs.
CON: Carpet in the living/kitchen area slide outs. Our preference would have been zero carpet โ€“ too hard to keep clean in a trailer. I particularly do not like the lump that carpet over carpet forms directly in front of the stove. Frankly, thatโ€™s a tripping hazard, one especially dangerous when maneuvering around hot foods and cookware. I've already tripped twice at the stove, and my balance is normally excellent. I think the Rockwood lawyers might have something to say about that design and its unintended consequencesโ€ฆ

That's all I've documented so far. If you have any questions, please let us know. We really don't mind being the guinea pigs - we've years of practice...
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more
41 REPLIES 41

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Geneeich, I think you might do better if you post the issue in an AC thread, where folks with answers are more likely to see it.

We've used our AC only a couple times so far, and they were doing fine. Now that Texas is really warming up, we might see a few challenges in maintaining a pleasant temperature. If so, will definitely let you know.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

geneeich
Explorer
Explorer
Picked up trailer from dealer and they say AC is working fine. Maybe I'm expecting to much, but I don't thinks it's unreasonable to want 75-77 degrees inside when it's 90 outside and for it to cool the trailer down when stopping late afternoon (4pm) to that temperature in couple hours. Please tell me what I should realistically expect.

Looking at adding another circuit breaker and receptacle.

Thanks for any info.
2015 F-250 Crew Cab Long Bed Diesel
2016 Rockwood 2906WS Travel Trailer

geneeich
Explorer
Explorer
Our unit is at the dealer for AC issues. I added 2 sets of BAL stabilizer bars to the scissor jacks, a significant improvement to stop trailer movement. I'll update again after dealer evaluation of AC.

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
The first unit is in the main living area. The second one is in the bedroom. We don't know how they're ducted; but we can experiment with them now that Steinholz is back home. Picked him up yesterday.

Czarny, black cat

geneeich
Explorer
Explorer
We've enjoyed 2 short trips and have not had any issues with leaks or appliances. I don't believe there is a perfect trailer out there, but this one has enough good to be one of the more comfortable TT's in it's size. We had the same con issues you mentioned and have overcome them the same way you did. The main thing I'm concerned about is the AC unit, we only have one 13,500 BTU unit and I don't think it will properly cool this trailer. I will discuss with Dealer this week. You said you had 2 units, are they both ducted units and where are they located. Other issues I have are heavy tongue weight 15%+, 1 - 15 amp circuit for all 10 receptacles, and a lot of trailer movement when walking inside. I believe I have relatively cheap solutions for every thing except the AC.

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Continuing to accumulate stuff for customizing.
*Lightweight full-length mirror that will fit perfectly on the bedroom door.
*Put the house pizza stone in the oven and bought a bigger one for the house.
*Cut-to-fit non-skid vinyl mat to cover the kitchen under sink shelf and keep any water damage to a minimum.
*Bunch of Command strip hangers for keys, cat leashes, clock, weather station, etc.
*Making a ceiling vent assist pole for me to reach up and open/close vents without a step stool.
*Split another swim noodle to slap over the hanger rod, to keep the hangers from falling off when the road gets bumpy. I love swim noodles - they come in handy for so many uses.

Now if we could just get the trailer back......

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not gonna be seeing the Marfa lights this month... Dealer called. Steinholz was ready, and then the freezer died. Having to replace entire fridge (a Dometic), so they ordered it. Be a couple weeks before it arrives.

L'Andante has a Norcold 1200 fridge. Never had so much as a hiccup with that model. Not sure what Dometic model this is (all the paperwork is onboard), so I don't know if this was a new model line or is an older model. Dealer said they don't carry it and it's a special order, but that doesn't tell me much, either.

Oh, well. Good thing it broke at the dealer and not when we're off on a trip.

Czarny, black cat

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
-
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
There is an error on the floorplan. There is NO "passthrough" storage. You can access the under storage only from the curb side. The street side has the water heater, water and sewage connections right there.

Czarny, black cat

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you. That is a great floorplan.

geneeich
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, that is the main draw back with this unit, but everything else out ways that and you can move the slide out a foot or so to slide by to get to the Frig. We usually pack our lunch and have a cooler in the truck for day supplies. As long we access to the bathroom we are good.

We have the free standing table and chair unit.

I am still working on the tongue weight issue and will update in a week or so.

Hope this helps.

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is a nice floorplan.

Are you able to access the refrigerator with the slides in?

Thank you.

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Got a call from the dealer. The lower trim panel got shipped to Georgia, but they promised to get it here by Monday. Then the dealer will have all the parts to finish the repairs. We'll have it back well before the dealer's guaranteed by date.

Unfortunately, we won't be going to Alaska later this month. One of our traveling companions and I are both having heart issues that need fixing before we tool on down the road. Oh well, next year. We'll spend this year working out Steinholz' bugs...

Geneeich, Steinholz came with two batteries and 2 30 gal propane tanks. We had no trouble pulling him with my 2015 F-150 Lariat crew cab, short bed, Ecoboost with max tow package. We chose to get WLToo a 2014 F350 diesel for the convenience of filling up in the truck lanes, where it's easier to maneuver Steinholz. We went with the F350 because it was cheaper than the new F250s and had more "stuff" in the King Ranch package (at our age, we're all about comfort). I don't think you're going to have any issues with your F250.

Czarny, black cat

geneeich
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2015 F-250 Lariat, crew cab, long bed, diesel w/a Leer cap on the bed. I use a Reese strait-line dual cam hitch with 1200# bars. After we have the trailer loaded with all our gear for traveling I'll take it to the local public scale and weigh the trailer, truck, combined weight and tongue weight. I have a 2000# digital scale at home that I use to check the tongue weight, but will also verify that at the public scale. The factory dry weight was 6937# and has a GVWR of 8432#. The sticker cargo weight is 1436#. I had the dealer install a 2nd battery to insure enough power to open and close all slides while traveling when not hooked up to campground electric. This probably added 40+#'s to the tongue weight.

We really like this trailer and will update as I know more and look forward to your updates.

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Geneeich, what's your tow vehicle? We run with a Ford F-350 King Ranch crew cab long bed diesel and Equalizer load balancing hitch. We're well below all limits.

Czarny, black cat