cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof question

Tyandkate
Explorer
Explorer
I just added some max air vents on the camper and while I was on the roof, I noticed a few spots on my roof that don't look as tight as they should be on the edges. Does this mean my roof is getting ready to need to be replaced? It's on a 2007 Jayco 25z sorry I don't know the term for my roof type but it's white, and seems kinda thin to me
11 REPLIES 11

Tyandkate
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks you've got me wishing I had that roof too! I'll get some of that sealer and freshen up the joints on my roof for my peace of mind

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Camper G wrote:
Dicor self leveling lap sealant is what you want. These recent roof (rubber/tpo) posts make me glad my rig has a one piece aluminum roof on it. 27 yrs old and still looking good.

I wish mine was aluminum like they use to do too. My Dad's 1963 Phoenix TT (see my profile link to the left) had the aluminum roof. We had the trailer for over 20 years and nothing was ever done to the roof.

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Dicor self leveling lap sealant is what you want. These recent roof (rubber/tpo) posts make me glad my rig has a one piece aluminum roof on it. 27 yrs old and still looking good.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The looseness at the edges is totally normal and wont cause any problems.
Our was the same way when we bought it and I called several dealers and all of them indicated it was normal.
Now, 13 years later nothing has changed and the roof is a good as the day we bought it.

Tyandkate
Explorer
Explorer
The book says I have a TPO rubber roof

Tyandkate
Explorer
Explorer
I'll research in the book to see what kind of roof I infact have. I'll update when I confirm that

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
thin and white sounds like it might be TPO, not rubber.
bumpy

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've never removed old caulk from my roof, I've just added on top of it, and only in the places where I've seen any cracking (which has been very few over many years of RV ownership). If you pull it off, you run the risk of damaging the rubber under it, by pealing, scratching, rubbing, pulling, the old off. I find it best to just leave the old. Wash it real good and let it dry good, then add more right on top of the cracks.

You want Dicor caulking, made for rubber roof's. Anything else could cause a caustic reaction over time and actually deteriorate the rubber. Thus, another reason to apply right on top of the old.

Good luck.

Tyandkate
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks y'all, I clean my roof twice a year. But conditioning will be something I need to do. I also noticed the caulking around the roof penetrations looks pretty weathered. I want to redo that, but do I need to peel all the old before putting new on? The sealer o found comes on caulk tubes my local RV sells don't remember the name of it though, they say it's for my roof

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
As long as the seams on your roof are still sealed and no cracking there, you roof is probably ok. It wouldn't hurt to give it a good clean and then treat it with RV roof conditioner. (assuming yours is the rubber roof type).

Regardless of what the nay-sayers argue, the roof does need to be cleaned and treated every now and then. The conditioners have UV protection and help put a thin layer of protection between the "rubber" and the elements. You put wax on the sides of your camper, why not treat the roof with stuff that's designed to help protect it too and keep it healthy?

I would not replace until I saw a tear or a hole or a spot so thin, you could see the wood under it. Treat it with an RV roof conditioner. It's the least evasive and may remove your anxiety.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, tightness of the roof isn't really an issue. As long as your seams where the roof meets the walls are caulked or properly taped and you don't have any hole sin the membrane you are fine. The roof is glued down, but occasionally the glue allows for little air pockets underneath the rubber.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS