cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satphone experiences...

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
never used one. Any real issues you would need to be aware of?
52 REPLIES 52

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
lensatic compass

Excellent! ๐Ÿ˜‰

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Getting a little off the rails are we?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
sleepy wrote:

John Muir, Danial Boone, Lewis and Clark, Columbus... what if they hadn't explored?

The Donner Party, the Franklin Expedition, Percy Fawcett... What if they could've called for help?
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sleepy is right about one thing -- don't pin all of your hopes on a gizmo -- be ready to self-rescue. But I am a belt and suspenders person -- I have as much self-rescue stuff as I can carry (lensatic compass, paper maps, water filter, first aid, etc.), AND I am probably going to get a PLB gizmo, too. Why not?

Recently, we were hiking in deep rotting snow in the Sierra at 11,000 feet, very far from anyone else, and the terrain under the snow was big sharp talus. It would have been very easy to post-hole down and to break a leg. We turned around and headed down. If I had gotten badly hurt, the gizmo would have come in very handy.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
While I have friends and family, they don't expect me to check in on a regular basis so the cost of a sat phone just isn't warranted. A PLB on the other hand is fairly inexpensive insurance, especially since I generally camp solo and often don't know from one day to the next where I'll be camped. While it's nice to believe I can always self rescue, I'm not naive enough to believe there is no situation I can't get myself out of. Sure it would be embarrassing to have your rescue shown on TV, but I'll take that embarrassment over attempting to crawl 20+ miles out of the middle of nowhere with a broken leg, or having search and rescue find my body because I only made it 10 of those miles.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
I worked on one project that was quite mountainous and so the company decided we should have Sat phones so we would have communications. They didn't work 90% of the time + very expensive. We turned them back in and never used them. The company returned as unacceptable form of communications. We had to make sure that we let some others know were we were going to be at in case they had to come search for us if we got injured in the field. We had one guy that went down in the field in a bunch od downed timber but luckily he just scrapped himself up and made it back out on his own. We worked by ourselves most of the time and in some remote areas.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, all those survival skills are a good thing to have but when a hurricane or storm appears unexpectedly and the only guy onboard the boat with sextant skills is down with a broken limb, my idea of self rescue is a pin point sharp GPS and a radio with backup to reach out to whoever's around. SVC Jeff nailed it pretty well for open ocean crossing. No reason not to have this stuff, today, most of it is fairly inexpensive.
Marine radio over telecom works astoundingly well. I was connected from Canary Islands to MN and it was as clear as cell quality. Sorry, nothing to add about satphone.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
What happens if you lose your power source, if the electronic rescue crutch breaks, can you self rescue?

What happened to us? Afraid to Adventure?

John Muir, Danial Boone, Lewis and Clark, Columbus... what if they hadn't explored? They didn't have a map... or any idea what was over that mountain... or accross that ocean.

If they'd been afraid to venture where would we be.

My first camping trip was before WW II... my family were adventurers... they taught us how to depend on ourselves for survival.

I was in the woods every day, after school, weekends, holidays... learning to navigate by the sun, and shadows... sometimes the moon. I never carried a compass... GPS... what's that. What do you do when the batteries in your GPS fail or you drop it and break it?

By the time I was 10 years old my Xmas was a Mossberg bolt action, 410 shotgun... a realitively safe gun... you could see where the shot landed (not so with a 22 cal.) It was perfect for hunting squirrels and rabbits... we were meat hunters... no sport in that. Now people carry hand guns... they'ed starve to death if they had to depend on what they could hit with them.

How many people hurt themselves when in the back country... distracted hiking or four wheeling... looking at the screen... checking their signal.

Yes, I'm getting old... our 6 man whitewater raft with all of the helmets, paddles, life jackets doesn't get used... we go to museums and art gallerys and the beaches now... parking where ever... but still exploring new things...

Some of our critics "camp" in RV parking lots, with their outside lights on all night, sitting under their awnings, comparing the height of their flagpoles (lightnig attracters). Or getting on their computers to correct peoples spelling or telling them how to blog (about the campgrounds they have been too)

My family... we still have our memories of explorations all over North America... and we are still making new and different memories for months at a time every year.

Electronic Gizmo's... Ha! Many people do things in groups (some for percieved safety) and everyone has electronic (save me) devices...

To have my rescue on TV news, Newspapers, Facebook... OMG... it would let people know that I couldn't take care of myself.

...I'd be embarressed if I got lost or on the wrong side of a flooded river... or caught in a snow storm and had to have the tax paying citizens have to pay for my resecue.

What happened to adventure?

Emergencies at home... what about our submariners when they have emergencies at home? Anything that is an emergency will have been taken care of by the time you get home...

$1200 for a months phone bill... what could you possibly have to say worth $1200... when did you find time for the adventure that you were supposedly on?

I'm not lost... but I think a lot of people are!

Sleepy
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is also the Spot beacon for emergencies -- but if you really spend some time in really remote places, the experts say that the PLB is the way to go. We are thinking seriously about a PLB -- if I get badly hurt, DW could never carry me -- I weigh almost exactly twice as much as she does.

The PLB not only sends a signal to Search and Rescue via satellite -- it also has a homing signal for the chopper, when it gets close to your GPS coordinates. Plus it transmits at 5 watts, more than Spot, and there is no annual fee.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Wo_ody
Explorer
Explorer
Two other excellent products are available.

DeLorme inReach SE

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/delorme.htm

ACR SARLink View 406 Personal Locator Beacon

http://www.backcountry.com/acr-sarlink-view-406-personal-locator-beacon?rr=t

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't take me long before I am out of cell phone coverage, but with Sat phone prices, I think the PLB is the better option for many.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
SVCJeff,
EPIRB, HF High Seas, 2182KHZ, CH16...Wow, I haven't heard some of those terms in years. Were you in the Navy or CG?
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
artguys wrote:
Thanks folks...2 old guys in their 70s, that would be me and a friend who owns a 36' Cape Dory will be doing a Gulf of Mexico crossing in a couple of months. My friend is old school. Doesn't use any of the modern navigation methods...just charts and sextant or communication aids other than a VHF radio. I'm good with it as we've done it a few times. This time I told him that having some form of satphone might be a good idea, to which he agreed.
Since that's what you're doing, I would worry more about a good HF High Seas radio and an EPiRB. It's a voluntary "requirement" (whatever that means) for any mariner with a radio to listen to VHF Ch.16, and 2182 KHz in blue water. If you get in trouble it's a heck of a lot faster to grab the mic with an SOS and pop the EPIRB than it is to boot and get service from a sat phone. Also, take your friend to the boat shop and buy a GPS for him. It really doesn't matter how he likes to navigate, but the CG could really use those numbers while the EPIRB is getting organized and you're bailing the bilge. I don't know if she's still there, but the high seas marine phone operator did a fine job last time I listened.

I had an Iridium sat phone at the office for many years and finally killed the service because the users couldn't deal with the loop-around latency. Hopefully the newer generations can do a better job of nulling that out, but that wouldn't be my 1st choice for your trip IMO.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Satellites aren't going anywhere because of the greater reach and range they provide. Like cellular networks, satellite services will see numerous enhancements in the future.

Iridium for the Future
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
Like a lifeboat, one hopes never to need one. But so wonderful when it is there, when you do.

We all have different expectations, whether for ourselves or others for us. Only we can make that decision of whom to stay in touch with. Many here have family members that have expectations of contact every day. For me, I donโ€™t. That being said, we all get older and emergencies occur. So that might be a reason to have one.

So it really depends on the person. Personally, I find that my cell phone works incredibly well, about 50% of the time. But, I usually know beforehand that the area I am traveling does not have service. But, I am still considering an emergency locater device like a SPOT.

Sat Phone? No.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr