cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching Names and dimensions of smaller pop ups

leafygreen
Explorer
Explorer
I have found it to be a major pain in the arse to find a pop up that would suit my needs. I'm looking for a small hard roofed pop up. In person I have seen one that only popped up, no slide out beds, but haven't been able to find the model online. Besides this mythical pop up I just mentioned, I am also searching for any popups that are of smaller closed dimensions. Pop ups get so huge so fast. what is out there for smaller sizes? Something that, when closed, is closer to 6 or 7 x 8 or 10 feet?
Anyone know the model names of popups that would meet this criteria?

Thanks for all those who can help, pics are always helpful.

What I'm basically wanting to do it to take this small pop up and make it a king(or queen) bed on wheels. I would gut the interior and fit a real mattress in there. Small size would help keep my mpgs up. I just don't want something that's twice the size of my 4runner.
12 REPLIES 12

leafygreen
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

Look at the floorplan, the amenities, and you'll see a 2008 Tacoma couldn't be any shorter and fit into a smaller box. It's also a high wall so the fridge is a DSI model with a freezer whereas most popups that have a fridge would have a manual light fridge with no freezer section. Coincidentally one of these very rare models is for sale in our area and I'm sorely tempted to go look at it! :E

I agree.
So I'm searching for the name of one without all the amenities that pops straight up and is at smaller.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
leafygreen wrote:
I don't want the beds to pop out the sides. Just the top to pop up. In the op I state how I have seen popups that do just that.

SoundGuy wrote:
Seems to me a 2008 Fleetwood Tacoma hard wall trailer would be ideal. Not many around as they were produced for just the 2008 model year but they are out there.

leafygreen wrote:
Yeah, that's checking some boxes! Except its 19 ft long. Make that 10 or 12ft and its what I want.

Look at the floorplan, the amenities, and you'll see a 2008 Tacoma couldn't be any shorter and fit into a smaller box. It's also a high wall so the fridge is a DSI model with a freezer whereas most popups that have a fridge would have a manual light fridge with no freezer section. Coincidentally one of these very rare models is for sale in our area and I'm sorely tempted to go look at it! :E
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

leafygreen
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
leafygreen wrote:
I don't want the beds to pop out the sides. Just the top to pop up. In the op I state how I have seen popups that do just that.

Seems to me a 2008 Fleetwood Tacoma hard wall trailer would be ideal. Not many around as they were produced for just the 2008 model year but they are out there.

Yeah, that's checking some boxes! Except its 19 ft long. Make that 10 or 12ft and its what I want.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
You could also look at Aliner. They are a hard roof, but open into an A shape.
Aliner
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
leafygreen wrote:

leafygreen
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
leafygreen wrote:
ideally I will find something with internal dimensions around 10ft long and 7ft wide.

Why go to all the work of trying to modify or build something yourself when that describes every 10' popup that's ever been manufactured. You can always remove what you don't want inside.

I don't want the beds to pop out the sides. Just the top to pop up. In the op I state how I have seen popups that do just that. I saw one 2 weeks ago and almost stopped to ask them what it's make and model was but didn't. I also like pop ups because I could put kayaks on top and keep them within the suv's draft.

I just want something as small as possible without any sacrifice to sleeping comfort. I backcountry hike and climb 20-30 days/nights a year. I beach and lake vacation with my girlfriend and dog 7-14 nights a year and would like to double that camping more. The comfort will make the girl happy the camping aspect will save money. I want to keep a low profile and don't intend to be inside it unless I'm sleeping.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
leafygreen wrote:
ideally I will find something with internal dimensions around 10ft long and 7ft wide.

Why go to all the work of trying to modify or build something yourself when that describes every 10' popup that's ever been manufactured. You can always remove what you don't want inside.

leafygreen
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
leafygreen wrote:
I'm looking for a small hard roofed pop up.

What I'm basically wanting to do it to take this small pop up and make it a king(or queen) bed on wheels.

About the smallest hard roof popup you'd find are still ~ 12' coupler to bumper - models like the Fleetwood Taos or Jayco 806. If a bed is all you want perhaps something like a ***Link Removed*** hard sided trailer would be a better choice.

Thanks, those are both exactly what I'm talking about. I wasn't counting the coupler in my measurements, just the deck size.

I'm not looking to spend thousands of dollars. The little guys are nice but still not great for what I'm after, price aside. I'm 6'2, my girlfriends 5'6 and the dogs lanky and 65lbs. The little guy would be tight. ideally I will find something with internal dimensions around 10ft long and 7ft wide. Towards the back id slap a king bed all framed in probably hinging for storage underneath. The door would likely be half obstructed by the bed but it would still leave a couple feet for a porta potty.

John_Betty
Explorer
Explorer
how about www.sylvansport.com ? Its small, lightweight and very bare-boned.
John & Betty
2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2010 Keystone Bullet 246RBS

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
leafygreen wrote:
I'm looking for a small hard roofed pop up.

What I'm basically wanting to do it to take this small pop up and make it a king(or queen) bed on wheels.

About the smallest hard roof popup you'd find are still ~ 12' coupler to bumper - models like the Fleetwood Taos or Jayco 806. If a bed is all you want perhaps something like a Little Guy hard sided trailer would be a better choice.

leafygreen
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
I can't help with name or number, but do you understand that any pop-up, and most other RV trailer will have a cabinet built in each corner and on each side of the door. Especially on pop-up the cabinets add a lot of strength to the walls, help tie corners together.
If you would be happy with wall to wall bed in a trailer you might look at something like a Little Guy teardrop.

Nothing I can't handle. Thanks

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't help with name or number, but do you understand that any pop-up, and most other RV trailer will have a cabinet built in each corner and on each side of the door. Especially on pop-up the cabinets add a lot of strength to the walls, help tie corners together.
If you would be happy with wall to wall bed in a trailer you might look at something like a Little Guy teardrop.