cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Seat belts in a camper?

adamis
Nomad II
Nomad II
So as fortune would have it, my wife and I found out that we are expecting twins! The domino's are falling all over the place as we re-contemplate life in general. Our life just got a whole lot more complicated!

Part of that contemplation is the realization that the truck (F350 Quad Cab with seats for 5) is no longer able to transport two adults, two teens and two car seats along with the dog. Changing the truck isn't in the cards (have to save up for a daily driver that can transport six now) so I'm trying to come up with options.

As a kid, I remember spending plenty of miles in the overhead of the camper and looking out the front facing window. In today's bubble wrapped world though, such "freedom" is frowned upon. One solution I considered is adding seat-belts in the camper itself for the teens. I know class C RVs will do this but I don't think I have ever heard of it being done in a camper. Safety and keeping the kids buckled in is concern of course but pushing that aside for the discussion, is there any legal issues with the idea?

The next option which may only last for a year or two is to put one car seat on the bench in the back and another where the center console is. This would take some modification to make sure it is secure but I think it is possible.

Of course the last option (and least favorite) will be to suck up and drive a second vehicle. The problem with this solution is my wife doesn't like to drive long distances on mountain roads so it would dampen the distances taken for trips.

Trading the truck and camper are not options.

Thoughts?

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper
35 REPLIES 35

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Find a used bench seat for the front . Two teenagers in front with driver . Two infant seats in back with adult . In NH it is legal to ride in TC , under 18 need seat belt . This varies greatly by state . I am not advocating this just stating the law . Check states where you are going to travel .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Since no TC is designed and tested for passenger safety I think it would be a bad idea. Seatbelts are only one component of passenger safety. I can't imagine going on in the event I am protected with SRS, shoulder belts, crumple zones etc and my family member dies in the camper with no real protection. Just my take.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good idea to check the legality of teens riding in the camper with or without seat belts. I suspect itโ€™s ok assuming you can communicate with them. What you really need to consider is where is all the people going to sleep and/or store their stuff in your current camper. It may be time to consider a big Suburban and a long TT, but you said not an option. Good luck on numerous points.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Watch a camper in an accident. You won't let the kids ride back there.

Cheapest route I think, will be 2 vehicles. Just think of the extra stuff that you will be hauling now too.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
adamis wrote:
So as fortune would have it, my wife and I found out that we are expecting twins! The domino's are falling all over the place as we re-contemplate life in general. Our life just got a whole lot more complicated!

Part of that contemplation is the realization that the truck (F350 Quad Cab with seats for 5) is no longer able to transport two adults, two teens and two car seats along with the dog. Changing the truck isn't in the cards (have to save up for a daily driver that can transport six now) so I'm trying to come up with options.

As a kid, I remember spending plenty of miles in the overhead of the camper and looking out the front facing window. In today's bubble wrapped world though, such "freedom" is frowned upon. One solution I considered is adding seat-belts in the camper itself for the teens. I know class C RVs will do this but I don't think I have ever heard of it being done in a camper. Safety and keeping the kids buckled in is concern of course but pushing that aside for the discussion, is there any legal issues with the idea?

The next option which may only last for a year or two is to put one car seat on the bench in the back and another where the center console is. This would take some modification to make sure it is secure but I think it is possible.

Of course the last option (and least favorite) will be to suck up and drive a second vehicle. The problem with this solution is my wife doesn't like to drive long distances on mountain roads so it would dampen the distances taken for trips.

Trading the truck and camper are not options.

Thoughts?

I can't tell you about inside the camper. But I'm pretty sure putting a baby / car seat in the front on the console would be against the law. Actually in NC it would be 100 percent against the law. Car seats must be in the back facing backwards.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, was done back in the day....Others will chime in from different States, but as far as I know nowdays it is totally illegal to have anyone in a truck camper when it is moving.
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...